I built something

lhendrick

Well, I announced my intentions on the Intro's page, but I'm here to say that this weekend I built the 12'x4' workbench. Using TJI engineered joists as a backbone with plywood top and bottom for a torsion box and 4"x4"'s for legs. It came out nice and flat and weighs as much as an aircraft carrier, so I may add some locking casters to make it semi-moveable around the garage. Wife is very impressed with the acre of workbench, not so impressed when I told here her car will be camping outside once the tub goes on the floor.

Next comes the epoxy hotbox and then I'll place my order for Chap 4-7 materials and some tools to round out my shop. It's 23F in my neighborhood, so may end up on a sheet of plywood in the basement until I can get the temp up in the garage.

Larry Hendrick

Canardiologist

Cozy Mark IV Started 2/12/2009 - Now on Chap. 6

http://web.me.com/lhendrick/Cozy_MkIV/Welcome.html

Sounds like your project is off to a good start.

I put casters on my table and wired it with 4 outlets at each end and a long extension cord.

If you build the Epoxy box a little large, you can warm your precut fabric in there as well. My garage gets pretty cold and that's where my fabric cabinet is. I precut my fabric, roll it up and put it in a plastic bag and then toss it in my hot box to keep it warm while I'm setting up for the layup.

Your timing is good. You should be able to make some good progress between now and the time winter rolls around again.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Still debating putting outlets on the sides of the bench or using ceiling drop down cords.

The casters are in and I'll install soon.

Attachment is pic of the Workbench with hotbox under construction....

Got my EAA VISA card today so first order to ACS tonight, $$$!

post-21037-141090166284_thumb.jpg

Larry Hendrick

Canardiologist

If it was me... but it is!

I put my outlets on the walls around the table. Given most all electrical tools have shorter cords now days, I don't want to put the tools on the table when I'm done... I got me a Hugh Jass layup goin on there. There is an advantage to an outlet (or two) midway on the edge of the table though, like for the hair dryer. An extension cord works fine too.

Ceiling drop cords look real neat. You'll hit them every time you flip a piece of foam :)

As to casters, fine if you plan on moving the table down the block to show your neighbors :) Fixed legs, shim them so the top is level/flat. If (when?) you need to move it next month/year, re-shim.

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

Rickh is right on the money with his answers. I have a low garage door rails. You'll find pieces of foam or epoxy on them somewhere. I like the idea of the table outlets and casters. You can roll your table outside in the driveway in the summer and just plug into it. I suggest you make your table legs no higher than 3 feet to the table top. Mine is higher and sometimes difficult to lean over and cut that last few inches or wet out.

I built mine as two cabinet/boxes at each end and made a shelf between them. The shelf makes for a handy place to set the tools out of the way while you change gears. Outlets (4) at both ends and wish I had another midway. I also have an outlet inside the cabinet for the vacuum pump and various cordless tool charging. Black pipe plumbing for my vacuum bag setup with 5 connect points. This allows me to do multiple layups and still bag them. Casters for sure (8 of them all pivot and lock .) Furniture levelling feet for items that are real critical.

30 inch height for the work surface. If you are wondering which is best for you compare a kitchen counter height (36") to a bathroom vanity counter (30") and then keep in mind you have to reach accross.

The I-Joists you used are great. In my book there is no other way (and I tried ....... hence this is my second table.)

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Some great input. I need the casters on the legs so I can shift the table out of the way to get to a wall of shelves with all my home maintenance junk and so I can get the motorcycle out. Will have to cut down the legs a bit as they currently bring the table top to 34" which is fine for reach, but the casters add about 4" to that and 38 will be too high. Sigh.

I found some nice 6foot strips with outlets every foot or so at Lowes, thinking one on each side may work. Forget the cords from the ceiling, not gonna fly.

I took a look at the table today after letting it sit for a few days and no sag across the 12 foot span with the TJI joists - they are SOLID.

Measured the temp in the garage and it's hovering at 40F with outside temps in the high 20'sF. Just not fun working in there. Basement is reading 67F so I may set up a temp workstation in there on a sheet of ply resting on sawhorses for cutting foam, and then build a plastic tent on plastic pipe frame for a heating booth for layup and cure, using an oil filled radiator for heat source to get it over 85F.

Larry Hendrick

Canardiologist

I may set up a temp workstation in there on a sheet of ply resting on sawhorses for cutting foam, and then build a plastic tent on plastic pipe frame for a heating booth for layup and cure, using an oil filled radiator for heat source to get it over 85F

Good idea. Get building. For Chapter 4, this will be fine. If I may make a suggestion: LIGHTING LIGHTING LIGHTING. You can't have enough light. A good inspection light is also very helpful.

Good luck with the build!

Jim

Cozy MKIV #1565 (Chapter 6)

Charlotte, NC

My table is 40w x 36h x 9'L. I wouldn't want it any lower. AT times I think it would be nicer to be higher. I tend to get it in my back if I work at the level on a flat layup. My other smaller workbench for the Vice, Sander, Drillpress is at 40"H. That's a more comfortable height, but probably too high for the layup table.

Now the reason for the 40" wide by 9' Long is economics. That tabletop can be made out of a single sheet of 4x8 plywood/hardboard with two joints. It's a comfortable size, but would need to be extended for working on the wing/canard.

In an unexplained fit of plans submission, my table is pretty close to plans. It's built from inexpensive 1x8s with 2x4 legs, a MDF top protected by hardboard. For as light weight as it is, it's remarkably strong. I probably only have $150 in it. I had expected to build a tank of a table, but knowing it was only a temporary solution changed by mind.

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

I went into the kitchen and measured the counter height, used that and its worked well for us. For some reason 42" wide worked out well for width, 48" is too wide in shop plus difficult to reach, less than 42 limited ability to do more than one thing on bech at the same time.

12 ft long becomes important with wing, spar and canard building after that not a big deal.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

I've been working on the bench with the top set at 34 1/2", putting together the epoxy hot box. The height works fine. The casters will probably make it too high so I may cut down the legs by 2" or so when I have the energy to jack the beast up.

Added 8' double tube fluorescent to the ceiling over the bench. Will add another soon.

Larry Hendrick

Canardiologist

On another shop-related item, it's not a bad idea to replace the wheels on your ShopVac with proper casters that have bearings, especially if your shop is tight for space. The original wheels are the cheapest that can be used (to reduce manufacturing cost) and don't have bearings, which gives the ShopVac a mind of its own when you pull it by the hose. Before I did this, I accidentally put a few good-sized dents in my floor-mounted wing cores while working on the shear web. With quality casters, my ShopVac now minds its own business.

Joe Polenek

Joe

Cozy Mk IV #1550

Agreed. My hangar is basicly my lodge. I have considered putting a Moose head on one wall but I am not a hunter so I figured it would be too pretentious. I do have an old rear projection big screen, Direct-TV, Tivo, computer (interet sometimes when my current girl brings her aircard) and some nice Bose speakers for my Ipod (the Bose speakers were a present as I would have spent the money on plane parts).

I REALLY like to be out at my hangar and try to make it comfortable for my S/O so she does not bit....uh, express concerns about being out there as much. I really need to find a nice used recliner ofr two.:cool2: Of course I prefer sitting on my wheeled stools rolling around to different parts of the project. Heck, for what we pay in hangar rent I otta get all the use out of it I can:mad:

All the best,

Chris:cool2:

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

TV sounds like a great idea so I can listen to F1 cars and MotoGP bikes scream around while I hack foam.

Oh nooooo... Between Randi and Jerry's wife Debbie... they are both F1 nuts, I mean its not just the drivers, they love the cars.

I guess you could always taxi test without your canard and wings attached if you want a thrill? OK, fess up, who has done this already??? :envy:

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Oh nooooo... Between Randi and Jerry's wife Debbie... they are both F1 nuts, I mean its not just the drivers, they love the cars.

I guess you could always taxi test without your canard and wings attached if you want a thrill? OK, fess up, who has done this already??? :envy:

There was an account of a builder who would start up his Long-EZ and drive it ot the other side of the airport when he had question. (Anothe group of builders were located there.) He had a canard mounted but no wings.

One day on the way back, he decided to line it up on the runway just to get the feel of a takeoff. Once he had some speed built up, he wanted to see if the canard would rotate ........ it did.

The canard reach an AOA such that he could not bring it down. The prop began striking the runway and the torque was causing directional control issues. Bottom line was he left the runway and came to rest inverted. That brought out the rescue crews, FAA etc.

The FAA DID NOT file this as an incident .......... citing the 'lack of wings' indicated not intention of flight.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

See there you go, the FAA does have a sense of humor whereas the PD does not; get anywhere near a vehicle with a beer in your hand and they are sure you intend to operate it... isn't that right Chris? :D

Hey Chris, when are we gonna see you on "Cops" we frequently see Harris County DPS on there ...Randi never misses it :ROTFLMAO:

There's no way I'd have had the canard on there by itself. I do have to ask, was this preceeded by a "Hey guys, watch this!" or "somebody hold my beer" ?

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Yes, I have done this....my hangar mate tells me it is a very expensive go-cart. He also says it looks a bit like what he would have thougt cars of the future would look like, after all were were supposssed to have flying cars by now.:cool2:

I have a video of some taxi test from this summer on Youtube. Search on Velocity and rotary and you should be able to find it.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

"Hey, y'all, watch this" I am convinced are the most dangerous words in the English language, well, at least hear in Texas. Ad strong Southern accent for effect.

Well, even though I had to chase down and fight a felon day before yesterday, as a rule they see more action on Cops in 30 minutes than we do all month. Great show though. It tickles me to see an officer on break watching Cops....hell, I have done it. That or Reno 911 :rolleyes:

DWI is kinda interesting. Everyone seems to agree how bad it is....until they are caught up in it and then it is the cops fault:confused: hmmmmmmm? I did work my first fatality on New Years morning....23 year old asian kid with a 2.8 boc. He hit the freeway exit barrells at speed, went airborn and inverted and came down on the windshield and hood of a passing SUV. He was "DRT", the driver of the SUV was uninjured...I told the driver of the SUV it was her lucky day and that she should go buy a lottery ticket.

I was lucky and did not have to break it to his mother.

Sorry, no more preaching. Build on.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

Chris, you are absolutly right. I had a young friend who would never wear her seat belt, said it wrinkled her clothes. She managed a photolab and since the rest of the crew were all minors she had to print all the PD crime and accident scene photos. One day she had to do pics of four kids in a freeway accident and none of them were wearing their seat belts, cured her in a heartbeat. Its all fun till reality sets in.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo