Killer Mods for the Open-EZ !!!!!!

TMann

I went with the EZ Noselift (www.eznoselift.com)

I think it is one of the better designs. Jack has a lot of info on his site.

Some will argue that the advantage of the stock manual lift is that if you need to make an emergency stop, when you start to lower the gear it will strip out dropping the nose to the ground.

The advantage of the nose lift is you can raise the nose while you are seated in the plane.

The other thing to consider is availability. Can you even get the manual system?

While you're at it, consider the electric trim systems that are available.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Seeing as I'm in the middle of doing my canard over.....

The plans call for cutting 4 profiles. Two outboard measuring 11 inches with no spar trough. Two inboard at 54 inches each with the spar trough.

Instead of this, I cut two cores measuring 65 inches and ran the spar the full length. Saves time and makes for a straight alignment (no tip droop.)

Does not save weight.

Some minor trimming may be needed to clar the counter balance weight but it should clear without having to do this.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I best not post on this thread.

Jack

E Racer Extreme

Too late.....

Instead of this, I cut two cores measuring 65 inches and ran the spar the full length. Saves time and makes for a straight alignment (no tip droop.)

I am not quite sure why you did that, tip droop? I didn't get anything that I would consider drooping tips. Seems to me that the extra spar cap material will add some unnecessary weight.

I am also a little curious as to why you are rebuilding your canard, what happened?

I best not post on this thread.

Jack

E Racer Extreme

Ha, ha haaaaaaaa! That's rich Jack.

I'm afraid some heads will implode once you have your bird flying.

I can't wait to see it in paint!

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I am not quite sure why you did that, tip droop? I didn't get anything that I would consider drooping tips. Seems to me that the extra spar cap material will add some unnecessary weight.

I am also a little curious as to why you are rebuilding your canard, what happened?

As previously stated..... it does not save weight.

The main reason I rejected the canard was do to the inconsistancy of the top profile of the canard. I don't have a tech consultant to work with in my EAA chapter (they are all aluminum guys) so that leaves me to put on that hat. It's not the first time I've redone a part, but I know my weight and shape will be an improvement over what I had.

Wayne Hicks canard came in at 22 lbs ........... the second time around.

Good role model.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Wayne Hicks canard came in at 22 lbs ........... the second time around.

Good role model.

That's encouraging, so did mine (the first time) :).

Good luck with your second attempt. I really hate doing things twice, but I suppose it's better play it safe than to accept a part you are not confident with.

That's encouraging, so did mine (the first time) :).

Good luck with your second attempt. I really hate doing things twice, but I suppose it's better play it safe than to accept a part you are not confident with.

The quality standards at Mann's Airplane Factory are very high!

Yeah ....... if you look at CPs 25 & 26, it makes 22lb seem heavy.

If it wasn't for the antenna in the canard, I would be using Carbon Fiber for both the spar caps and skin.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Hey Longeze'rs. I have heard of folks wanting a bit WIDER Longeze, but not stretching the thing. Whats up with that? Is that a fairly desired thing, if given the chance to alter in new construction?

Disregard this post. Saw the discussion on the other thread.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

The nose gear hand crank gearing mechanism was only meant to see the loads of actually lowering or raising the gear---not the weight of the aircraft.

With the original system, if you need the additional stopping power of skidding on your nose, you can attempt to raise the gear which will shear the teeth---and the nose will be skidding. This all happens rather quickly.

If you have electric gear, then the time to get the nose on the ground will be 10 or so second. One good thing with the electric gear is that in the event of losing one brake, yo can "burp" the gear up for about a second which will straighten the nose wheel. If you were aligned with the runway, that is good news---if you were already heading off the side, then you just may get there quicker:)

For a longez, I'd rather put money elsewhere than in the nose gear. For a Cozy, I'll take the electric gear.

OK, Just to keep track...

1.Wheel pants

Won't need them if you go with retracts

2.Nose lift - why will the gear strip because of an emerg stop?

The manual gear system will not support the weight of the pilot. You have to get out to raise and lower the gear on the ground. If you try to lower the gear while in the plane and on the ground, the foces will be greater than what the gear can withstand and it will strip dropping the nose to the ground and thus skidding to a stop.

3.Long nose

There are some drawings on www.ez.org that Tony has done that will make for a good starting point. Review those first.

Are the large rudder and internal bellcranks now common or would they be considered mods?

Yes and Yes.

If you are considering the blended winglet then the hidden belcrank becomes moot.

There are many things that many builders have done to personalize their aircraft.

The hinge point of the canopy, retractable step, electric actuator on the landing brake, downdraft cooling, Adjustable Rudder Pedals, Foward Master Cylinders, Larger Strakes, GIB Thigh Support/Sump, Rear Throttle Quadrant, Rollover Structure, In-Wing Landing Lights, ..............

You get the Idea.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Just got my Long-EZ wing cores from Eureka with the entire trailing edge straight rather than the dog leg the plans trailing edge takes from BL 55.5 to BL 23. ;)

Greg, was this as you ordered them or a misunderstanding in the parts delivered?

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo