Long-EZ wheel and brake experience

gullikson

I am having a heck of a time deciding on wheels and brakes for my Long-EZ project having no experience with them. So far, I believe I have my choice whittled down to either the MATCO W50LD (dual brake assys) or the Grove 56 or 57 series. The MATCOs are heavier (8.9lbs ea) but apparently the wheels are made to fit the 11x400x5 tires better than standard 5" wheels and the MATCOs are less expensive. The Grove 57 series are only 7.2 lbs each. I imagine both would work very well. The cost is not the determining factor for me and maybe I'm putting too much thought into my selection. Any input would be welcome because there is nothing like experience (which I don't have in this case).

Thanks in advance.;)

I bought the whole package from JD at www.infinityaerospace.com

One stop (no pun intended) for the wheels, brakes, master cylinders and a pair of Michlen tires and tubes.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I am having a heck of a time deciding on wheels and brakes for my Long-EZ project having no experience with them. So far, I believe I have my choice whittled down to either the MATCO W50LD (dual brake assys) or the Grove 56 or 57 series. The MATCOs are heavier (8.9lbs ea) but apparently the wheels are made to fit the 11x400x5 tires better than standard 5" wheels and the MATCOs are less expensive. The Grove 57 series are only 7.2 lbs each. I imagine both would work very well. The cost is not the determining factor for me and maybe I'm putting too much thought into my selection. Any input would be welcome because there is nothing like experience (which I don't have in this case).

Thanks in advance.;)

I would go with the groves on a long ez. they are smoother rolling ,less brake drag, easier to work on, the pads can be changed without removing the wheel from the axle, every one that has them loves them. can't say that for the matcos.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Ditto what Lynn says. Mine have been great and the folks at Grove are great to work with and very helpful.

Thanks for your replies all. I am trying to be as weight conscious as possible without sacrificing saftey margins. Are you using the 56 or 57 series (or other)?

I sure as heck would not put in the plans Cleveland brakes. My old Longeze had them and I lost braking power once when they got to hot. I would buy the lightest brakes with the best stopping power I could afford. I am putting triple puck matco's in my Cozy project they are complicated to work on and kind of heavy but they are supposed to stop me when I stomp on the brakes. I have never tried to stop anything with them yet. STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21