Gull Wing canopy doors on Mark IV

sprint100

I have searched but could not find any info on making the canopy on my Mark IV gullwing. Does anyone have details they'd like to share on creating it or is it something I just have to start chopping away at on a canopy thus design my own?

Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments

Somebody did this to a Dragonfly. IIRC, it was more of a "gullwing canopy" so that the longerons didn't have to be moved down too much. Probably a tight squeeze getting in & out. You should be able to find some photos on-line through the Dragonfly group.

If you're talking about full gullwing doors like a Velocity, that's a MAJOR fuselage re-design that few (if anyone) would recommend.

Joe Polenek

Joe

Cozy Mk IV #1550

I have a gull wing door into the back seat of my CozyIV it is small but I can get my big Butt though it. Pictures of it are on my web site they are hard to find sorry I dont know how to do my own web site so I am using a freebee site and the chapters are not eze to find. STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

I have searched but could not find any info on making the canopy on my Mark IV gullwing. Does anyone have details they'd like to share on creating it or is it something I just have to start chopping away at on a canopy thus design my own?

i have full pics of my gulwing on the other forum

Steve M. Parkins

• 2 weeks later...

Sprint - I've built 2 gullwing doors for my modified cozy mk IV.

It's somewhat difficult and takes some experimenting. I decided to scrap the first door (and turtleback) b/c I thought it was too heavy. The next time I used carbon fiber and am happier with the results.

I've posted some pictures on this forum. Where are you located?

Steve

Sprint - I've built 2 gullwing doors for my modified cozy mk IV.

It's somewhat difficult and takes some experimenting. I decided to scrap the first door (and turtleback) b/c I thought it was too heavy. The next time I used carbon fiber and am happier with the results.

I've posted some pictures on this forum. Where are you located?

Steve

I'm located in Santa Clarita, CA. About 40 miles north of Los Angeles. Where exactly do you have the pictures? Have you documented what you did because I would like to see a cp[y of the documentation too.

Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments

I think Sprint is looking for two side by side gull wing doors. Ala Velocity. Nobody has done that in a Cozy because of the Longerons. I have seen one guy who had a longish side opening canopy that went to mid-line, I will look and see if I can find the pic. It required an "A" pillar....YMMV.

post-4661-141090165643_thumb.jpg

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Hey Edge! Do you have the 'after' photo when the thing goes through the back of the hanger when it jumps the crappy 2 x 4 imitation chocks?

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

I think the camera guy missed that particular Kodak moment. :rolleyes: I dont know where this plane is or if it exists anymore. I seem to have a nagging thought that something happened to it, or him. Something not good.:(

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.