Basement Door....

flybeech21

I have a question about where I am going to build the Aerocanard FG. I have a very large basement that will work just fine. But, there is only a single garage door going into the basement. It is an 8' X 7' garage door. Will I be able to get the 11' wide completed fuselage out of that door by "turning it through the door?"

Do I need to consider building in the basement and assembling elsewhere?

Thanks,

Kevin Harper

Atlanta, GA

I think you could get it out. Worst case you would have to leave one strake unfinished until you move to a larger location.

I'm building a Long-EZ in my basement and can do it all but one strake there and still get it through the double door entry.

It just depends og whether or not you have the room inside that will allow you to start it out withe the unfinished strake side and pivot it around. It's a 3D kind of solution. :D

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

What Tom sez.

If you have clear space either side of the door, poke one spar end through, swivel the tub a bit, shove the fuse out. Once the strakes are built, all bets are off.

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

I can't remember who it was ....... but someone lived in an area that had a covenent stating you had to have two single doors vs. one double. They got anound it by putting in a removeable center pilar. Very clever.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I dont remeber where I saw it but it was a picture of a eze type being taken out the kitchen floor so they could get it out of the basement. That is what I call either dedication or really bad planning. STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

AMEN! ;)

I remember a Steve Parkins shop pix a while back. I noticed it was two *single* car overhead doors... :yikes:

Rick

had it been a stock cozy it would have fit. i missed it by 4".

you need to lift one strake up to the top corner, with the nose low and the other strake low.

put the nose in then the top strike then roll it around the small of the lower strake. the cc strake or the smp-cc strake will not fit.

but you can easily open your door,remove the lower track, 2by10 and then put it though the opening with the cc strike .:P

look at the pic and you can see the room i lost, the wood is laying about stock . good to here someone starting on a dream

post-474-141090165528_thumb.jpg

post-474-141090165539_thumb.jpg

Steve M. Parkins

What do you think concrete saws were made for??? :D

Steve build on

Like this guy who built his own Lamborghini Countach in his basement - without any doors at all...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The story is here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/3382143/Man-digs-under-house-to-remove-home-made-Lamborghini.html

Erlend Moen
Norway
Cozy MK IV #1556 - Chapter 16
http://cozy.ljosnes.no

Steve-

Hey, whats a cc strake? Got me on that one?

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

If the basement door is a 8' x 7' door as stated, it CAN be done with any cutting.

Here's a way I've taken the project out and in the garage 3 times already. This was my first attempt by myself. Note the chain hanging on the left of the photo. This is from a chain fall tied to a radiator in the upstairs bedroom. At this point I was on the phone calling the troops. Mr. Lefleur brought over his son and his buddies. We had it out in ten minutes. Other times Mr. Skorija and his buddy came over. Note: use three to four young men and supervise instead of three old coots. :)

Would have been a cinch if the limestone block post in between the doors was removed. Unfortunately it was not an option if I wanted to keep the upstairs bedroom in one piece.

post-672-141090165608_thumb.jpg