Project: Intruder

Velocity_Russia

Our group now building in Russia new canard project named "Intruder"

You can find some information about it here:

http://www.velocityaircraft.ru/intruder_project_e.htm - Digital model

http://www.velocityaircraft.ru/intruder_main.htm (unfortunately now in russian language only) About this project

http://www.velocityaircraft.ru/intruder_fuselage.htm (unfortunately now in russian language only) Building process

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sexy!

What are your plans for it after testing? Are you going to sell them as completed airplanes or partial fast build kits?

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

just finished visiting those pages:

you have a very nice shape, no doubt it's an interesting project.

from what I see the mold you have built is not intended to go in hoven: are you going to build a fuselage that is not autoclaved??

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads. (Dr. Emmett Brown)

I'm curious about the aerodynamics of a fuselage that flies with its long axis at an apparent negative angle of incidence (i.e. w.r.t. the relative airflow). Would this cause more canard loading to keep the nose up, increased drag due to the frontal area, or both?

Joe Polenek

Joe

Cozy Mk IV #1550

That is a nice looking plane, best of luck to you guys. What engine is going to be used in it?

Thank you. We will use 4 cylinders engine like Lycoming (Superior etc.) from 160 to 220 h.p. May be in future we will try to install jet engine for demonstrator..... with additional fuel tanks ;)

Looks great. Really like the tandum seating with the rear passenger above the pilot for better forward visibility!

Yes. I'm first Long-EZ owner in Russia. Now we have also VaryEze and Velocity SE RG. I fly also with Michael Kasyan on his N38MK Berkut. All canard airplanes is cool, but I think, we can make some new things to make it little bit better. We try to change building technology, design, aerodynamics and other. Our crew try to realize all pilot needs.

Very sexy!

What are your plans for it after testing? Are you going to sell them as completed airplanes or partial fast build kits?

Has hit the target.

We have technology of building inside bottom form. Central spar, additional central spar for retractable gears (like JD gears from Infinity aerospace), fuel tanks, seats, nose gear and other things will be assembled inside bottom form. We will try to get fast and very precise positioning for all construction elements. May be this aircraft will be fast build kit in future.

from what I see the mold you have built is not intended to go in hoven: are you going to build a fuselage that is not autoclaved??

We will use EZ-84 + DER-324 epoxy or russian epoxy and vacuum forming. Honeycomb sandwich fuselage and wings.

I'm curious about the aerodynamics of a fuselage that flies with its long axis at an apparent negative angle of incidence (i.e. w.r.t. the relative airflow). Would this cause more canard loading to keep the nose up, increased drag due to the frontal area, or both?

What do you thing about it?

Posted Image

We have builded 1/4 size model for some testing.

What do you thing about it?

We have builded 1/4 size model for some testing.

Actually, it looks more like the front end of the tandem Su-30. I suppose you can get away with that when you've got a couple of AL-31 turbofans helping you along:) , but I would still expect some aerodynamic penalty for tilting the entire fuselage this way, as the Intruder does. But I'm no aerodynamacist. It will be interesting to see how the performance compares to the LongEZ.

In any case, the Intruder is a beautifully styled plane!

Joe Polenek

post-2447-141090165434_thumb.jpg

Joe

Cozy Mk IV #1550

The thrust line is whats interesting to me on the Intruder. lots of mass below the center of thrust line...hmmmm.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Actually, it looks more like the front end of the tandem Su-30. I suppose you can get away with that when you've got a couple of AL-31 turbofans helping you along , but I would still expect some aerodynamic penalty for tilting the entire fuselage this way, as the Intruder does. But I'm no aerodynamacist. It will be interesting to see how the performance compares to the LongEZ.

In any case, the Intruder is a beautifully styled plane!

aircraft design always is compromise, in other case designers got ideal forms 50 years ago.

it's a nice aircraft, but a nice variation of the VE and LE and velocity and cozy and berkut and e-racer it's the same layout (canard high on nose, midfuse wing attachement, big strakes...) with different fuselage section, nothing new (i would bet its the same roncz and eppler airfoil profile).

but still nice looking... nice job!

it's a nice aircraft, but a nice variation of the VE and LE and velocity and cozy and berkut and e-racer it's the same layout (canard high on nose, midfuse wing attachement, big strakes...) with different fuselage section, nothing new (i would bet its the same roncz and eppler airfoil profile).

but still nice looking... nice job!

Yes, nothing new.... just details ..... we just collect it together.

• 2 months later...

Wow, these guys are taking homebuilt to another whole...place! Clearly we are in a new race with the Soviets :)

I fear there may soon be a technology gap here. The US cannot fall behind in homebuilt Cozy-Berkut-EZ-ETC-Z-technology. I recommend we initiate a joint Canard Zone/Canard Aviation project to develop next generation Kit based Canard with molded carbon fiber airframe, blended everything, 300HP/8 gph, 250 KT, retractable LG, Gull Wing Door/Canopy, a real nose gear, short field capable, with a build time of 1500 hours max from kit.

Insert your desired features here....

Larry Hendrick

Canardiologist

Cozy Mark IV Started 2/12/2009 - Now on Chap. 6

http://web.me.com/lhendrick/Cozy_MkIV/Welcome.html

Wow, these guys are taking homebuilt to another whole...place! Clearly we are in a new race with the Soviets :)

You obviously haven't seen Jack Morrison's work. It looks like they are trying to keep up with him. :D

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

You obviously haven't seen Jack Morrison's work. It looks like they are trying to keep up with him. :D

I looked for his website but was not able to find it: can you point me in the right direction?

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads. (Dr. Emmett Brown)

I looked for his website but was not able to find it: can you point me in the right direction?

Nope! The Russians will copy it. :D

When Jack's ready I'm sure you'll get to see it.

It's not an airplane ......... it's art that flies!

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I fear there may soon be a technology gap here. The US cannot fall behind in homebuilt Cozy-Berkut-EZ-ETC-Z-technology. I recommend we initiate a joint Canard Zone/Canard Aviation project to develop next generation Kit based Canard with molded carbon fiber airframe, blended everything, 300HP/8 gph, 250 KT, retractable LG, Gull Wing Door/Canopy, a real nose gear, short field capable, with a build time of 1500 hours max from kit.

Insert your desired features here....

i'm working on that right now, but i'm not as advanced as they are! i do have a day job (even in this layoff period)

;)