vari-ez vs long-ez

corenmeg

Mostly size. The Long-EZ was the Vari-Eze scaled up a bit to make it a cross-country platform.

You can still build this (the Long-EZ) from the Open-EZ plans but the Vari-Eze and all the associated hardware would be a tough project at this point in time ...... if you could find plans.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Thanks I'm guessing that the vari-ez uses a smaller powerplant and has less interior room?What about cruise speed and range?

Generally speaking the Varieze does use a smaller engine (continental o-200 vs. Lycoming 0-236)

I'm not sure about interior space, I think the Long has a little more panel room.

I believe the Vari and Long have about the same cruise speed, however with folks putting larger o-320 and o-360 engines, the long might be a little faster.

The Long in Long-ez stands for long range......

Others will probably smack down a couple of my answers, however I really cannot see any reason for someone to choose a Vari over a Long these days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longez

The Longez has considerably more room---and uses some of the strakes for baggage. The Varieze strake only hold fuel.

The Varieze wing connection is its weak point. If properly built and maintained, it is ok. That is the crucial part that you would have a hard time getting hold of. The Longez, Cozy, Eracer, Berkut+ other wing connection is pretty much bullet proof (very robust).

• 1 month later...

Generally speaking the Varieze does use a smaller engine (continental o-200 vs. Lycoming 0-236)

I'm not sure about interior space, I think the Long has a little more panel room.

I believe the Vari and Long have about the same cruise speed, however with folks putting larger o-320 and o-360 engines, the long might be a little faster.

The Long in Long-ez stands for long range......

Others will probably smack down a couple of my answers, however I really cannot see any reason for someone to choose a Vari over a Long these days.

How about the Varieze getting much better gas mileage? Seems to be a very good reason to fly one unless you have plenty of money to burn. I know about Variezes getting from 40 to 60 mpg. ( mine burns 4 gph at 2450 rpm and 150mph cruise)..........don't know what the Longs will get. More horsepower will get you there faster, but you will pay for it.

WTJohnson

Those Vari's and Longs are pretty darn efficient but Chris E's 540 typically cruises at 10.5k at 200 knots at just above 10gph, so its not as bigga penalty as some might think. That was before he switched to FI/EI, as I understand it.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

MPG isn't a good overall benchmark for performance unless you know the circumstances. i.e.

here are some of my MPG numbers with an O-320 (160hp) LongEZ

66 mpg- FL210 with a 150kt tail wind (300kt ground speed) (100KIAS)

33 mpg -FL180 with no tail wind (160kt ground speed) (115KIAS)

16 mpg - sea level, (170 kt ground speed) (170KIAS)

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

MPG isn't a good overall benchmark for performance unless you know the circumstances. i.e.

here are some of my MPG numbers with an O-320 (160hp) LongEZ

66 mpg- FL210 with a 150kt tail wind (300kt ground speed) (100KIAS)

33 mpg -FL180 with no tail wind (160kt ground speed) (115KIAS)

16 mpg - sea level, (170 kt ground speed) (170KIAS)

Waiter

I realize that flying high is a more economical/performance way to go, but that also costs money. Some of us consider it more fun to fly lower and a bit slower and enjoy the scenery .....and without oxygen. Point to point on a cross country flight, your plane is a great way to travel. Depends what one is after.... and the interested party that started cam consider. I can fly (at cruise) from Seattle to LA in seven hours with one stop for fuel and a break, so the Varieze is still a good way to travel.

WTJohnson

For your consideration.

Rounded #'s on typical Chris E IO540 cruise ...230 mph at 10.5 gph at 10.5 k (no oxygen)netting approx 22+mpg with that Seattle to LA 1050 mile (actually less) trip taking a little over 4.5 hours, no fuel stops.

It's the San Francisco coast to Salt lake trip that has me excited...600miles in 2-3/4 hours with no TSA. I get there within 30 mins of commercial airline time and its accompanying TSA dance. That is going to be schweeet!!

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

If you reference your miles per gallon to TAS, you should get a pretty good indication. Referencing to IAS gives you nothing unless you hold all mpg measurements to the same altitude. Referencing to groundspeed tells you nothing due to effects of wind----unless you fly a circular course---then for the most part the wind would be subtracted out.

what are the differinces in the vari-ez and the long- ez

One other thing to consider is the weight of the aircraft and the ability to move it around. I have moved several very heavy canard airplanes. One was a three place Cozy and the other a 'wide' LongEZ. Both were hard to move around. With the nose down and a lot of gas in the forward part of the strakes, they became a real load.

The solution is to be in good shape and have the ability to handle the load or to put in an electric nose gear to lift it .......or to have a friend always assist.

It would be a good idea to check this out with several existing planes and lift them and move them around......if you are at all concerned.

WTJohnson

In terms of hard to move around with respect to the weight of the nose----for the 4 place aircraft---it depends upon how you have the plane set up. For my Cozy when rigged for flying with a passenger sitting next to me, the nose is rather light. When rigged for solo flight, the nose is rather heavy and really needs the electric gear.

As a certified Honey Dipper (member of C.R.A.P), I offer the following observations.

VE:

Two up, you can each carry a toothbrush, and half fuel w/o being over gross.

Running LOP, and barely ahead of the curve in a real slippery plane, you can get phenominal fuel mileage. Rob Martinson was the winner at a local "Fuel-Venture" in his VE, got something like 100MPG over the course. VE has anhedral wings, and generally a GU canard. The latter can be suseptable to adverse pitch in rain. Powerplants generally Cont. 200 or Lyc. 230

I *think* Bill James (EZ chronicals) pilots a VE. His articals are quite enlightening FWIW.

LE

Two up, you can each carry a toothbrush, and a bunch more. Larger panel (subjective). No anhedral, either a GU or RoncZ canard airfoil. The latter is less suceptable to adverse pitch in rain. Powerplants range from I-230 to IO-360. The LE offers more options for 'farkles' (electric nose, speed brake, instruments, electrics, ...)

Both aircraft can be long distance machines, depends on what type of load you wish/have to carry.

IMHO of course ;)

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

As a certified Honey Dipper (member of C.R.A.P), I offer the following observations.

VE:

Two up, you can each carry a toothbrush, and half fuel w/o being over gross.

Running LOP, and barely ahead of the curve in a real slippery plane, you can get phenominal fuel mileage. Rob Martinson was the winner at a local "Fuel-Venture" in his VE, got something like 100MPG over the course. VE has anhedral wings, and generally a GU canard. The latter can be suseptable to adverse pitch in rain. Powerplants generally Cont. 200 or Lyc. 230

I *think* Bill James (EZ chronicals) pilots a VE. His articals are quite enlightening FWIW.

LE

Two up, you can each carry a toothbrush, and a bunch more. Larger panel (subjective). No anhedral, either a GU or RoncZ canard airfoil. The latter is less suceptable to adverse pitch in rain. Powerplants range from I-230 to IO-360. The LE offers more options for 'farkles' (electric nose, speed brake, instruments, electrics, ...)

Both aircraft can be long distance machines, depends on what type of load you wish/have to carry.

IMHO of course ;)

Rick

Good summary ...........

When I took my 130 lb. wife to Jackpot, Nevada in the back seat years ago .....over the 4th of July, I was conservative in calculating the total load. We took off with only three hours of fuel, so I was figuring on stopping every two hours or about 300 miles.

With warm/hot temperatures and high altitude at Jackpot, we left for home early in the morning to safely get airborne. This was with my 85hp Continental with the old heavy starter and generator. Burt Rutan after indicating in the engine plans that the starter was okay to use with an 85 hp engine, later changed saying it was a one-place airplane. He was right in some ways in that you have to be careful as to where you go and what you carry.....but that goes for about any airplane. (Now have a B & C starter)

The trip was a marginal one considering the temperature, altitude and the small engine. Also did not fuel up at Jackpot, but stopped near Boise on the way home.

Normally when I fly by myself, I load whatever will fit in the back seat and take off with full tanks which can take me out six hours and 900 miles plus reserve. However, I am ready to get out for a break at four to five hours, so have never flown any longer than that without stopping.

WTJohnson... Varieze 725EZ

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have long since (since the early 80's) answered this question with the reply - 15%. That is the difference in design horsepower (Cont O-200 v's Lyc O-235), roughly the difference in wing area, and roughly the difference in design gross weight. I've had the opportunity to do quite a bit of flying in both aircraft types and my answer is very simplified. To be honest the aircraft have VARI different handling and purposes in life. The Varieze is a little sports car - the Long Ez is a family saloon car. The Varieze is light on the controls, light on payload and is a delight to fly because of this feel. On the other hand the Long Ez was designed to be a utilitarian airplane and feels (lest I say it) more like a Witchita Spam can. The Long was underpowered in my opinion with the O-235. This is corrected when 0-320 powered and as such is a great airplane.

They're both GREAT airplanes - both quite different beasts despite the fact that they are similar looking. As the old saying goes - "horses for courses".

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone tell me the differences between the vari and the long as far as useful load with full fuel?

Do the homework:

http://www.ezarc.org/downloads/longez_poh.pdf

http://www.ezarc.org/downloads/varieze_poh.pdf

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Stuart, on your motor mount comment, it would be very rare to see a VariEze motor mount these days. Very few were made because the LongEZ motor mount quickly became preferable being wider with more Mag room - and it can be readily fitted to a VariEze, as i did using LongEZ plans i think. A seller of a motor mount may or may not have actual knowledge or documentation of which type it is, and may have been misinformed when acquiring it. If it came with a VariEze project, surely it is a VariEze mount, right?

Bottom line, if information on the mount type is hearsay, check the dimensions to confirm which it is, it might be the standard Long EZ type. I learned this when talking to Brock about fabricating a Varieze mount for me. They said they could do it but it would be more expensive. During that search is when also I learned that folks dont always know which mount they have. These details they are so confusing :)

Good hunting and building.

Bill James, Fort Worth VariEze

Downdraft Plenums

Quickcowls

There was supposed to be Anhedral???

http://www.ezchronicles.com/blogger.html

Can someone tell me the differences between the vari and the long as far as useful load with full fuel?

J-

Looks like you are getting good advice on how to answer the question.

Some thoughts after 13 years flying a VariEze: The VariEze generally requires more weight discipline.

The first LongEZ remembrance on your subject that comes to mind is the friend that came in one day a happy new owner of a LongEZ, and came in a few days later and saying he had just done the weight and balance and found out that with he and his wife onboard he had a useful fuel load of two gallons.

On the other extreme is watching LongEZ drivers with spectacularly equipped planes seemingly load up anything they want and head out without the least concern of temperature or runway length. This rememberance obviously glosses over the preperation and planning that goes into flying any aircraft.

Part of doing this Eze driver stuff is stalking your fiberglass prey wisely, whether building or flying.

The simple and correct answer to your question has been provided by the TMann. My simple answer here is, you get in the game and take your best shot.

I am now remembrancing a new friend that has only been in the game a few hours and already bagged one of the nicest LongEZs around.

While not very comforting here, the law of thermodynamics comes to mind and often seems to relate in some way to whatever I'm doing: You always lose, you never win, and you have to play.

Whatever, the game is more fun with an Eze in the hangar. The useful load answer is in the operating manual. Whether you buy or build, how much your plane weighs and how much it can carry is up to you.

Downdraft Plenums

Quickcowls

Several years ago I wrote a note about the advantages of the LongEZ. It includes a few details of similarities and differences, and some text from the CPs about engine choices and the intended utility of the aircraft. It is called "LongEZ, A More Practical Airplane."

Of course there is another note titled "Still the One" about flying the VariEze :)

The Long EZ note is available at the site below.

Downdraft Plenums

Quickcowls