Rotary engine - Plug up installation

SAF_Zoom

Thanks, Tmann already have all the info on this one.

You are installing a 20b if I'm not mistaken... that's a 3 rotors engine.. right?

Is it going to be just a bit heavy?

BTW, is your fusalage stock? or is it wider?

I'm wondering which installation )std (plus to the side) or plug up would make for nicer cowling (more in line with the plans).

Regards,

I wrote that article 20 years ago. I sold the plane 10 years ago, less the engine. That very engine now sits in my Volmer VJ22 but I have upgraded the engine management system to RWS EC2.

My LE has an O-320E2D. The RV7 I built before finishing the LE had an O-360A1A. As I mentioned elsewhere, I've done it both ways and there are pros and cons to either engine. I could get into a great, long dissertation about the plus'es and minus'es but I don't want to bore anyone. The short answer is, if you want to fly... go Lycoming. If you want to tinker, the rotary is a fun project.

I wrote that article 20 years ago. I sold the plane 10 years ago, less the engine. That very engine now sits in my Volmer VJ22 but I have upgraded the engine management system to RWS EC2.

My LE has an O-320E2D. The RV7 I built before finishing the LE had an O-360A1A. As I mentioned elsewhere, I've done it both ways and there are pros and cons to either engine. I could get into a great, long dissertation about the plus'es and minus'es but I don't want to bore anyone. The short answer is, if you want to fly... go Lycoming. If you want to tinker, the rotary is a fun project.

Hi, I'm from Montreal BTW, and I would very much like to have such a conversation. I'm in the planning stage right now, so its the perfect time to think about engine installation. I know a bit about rotary engines, I used to own (and fix) a RX-7. I'm also an ex-aircraft technicien so I know also a bit about Lycs / Cont.

I would like to talk about the reliability (and performance) of the RWS EC2 as it seems this is where most of the problems are comming from (I could be wrong here... that's why I'm asking).

Finally, what do you think of the space available in a LE to fit either a 13b or 20b rotary in the back? Would it be better of with a STD install or a "plugs up" installation. Which would yeild a cowling that mostly reasemble a "stock" Lyc LE?

Anyway, hope to have a chance to chat about the above,

SAF_Zoom,

You are a long, LONG way away from needing to make engine choices. But since you asked, I think a 13B would physically fit either way in a LE. From what I saw of Perry's install, NOT plugs up would be better. Normal mounting would keep the exhaust to the side rather than on the bottom, and away from a bottom mounted radiator.

My personal opinion is, the 13B (and all it's associated components required to make it run and cool) is too heavy for a standard Long-EZ. One must keep in mind that the LE was designed for an O-235. (I installed an O-320 but do as I say, not as I do :rolleyes: )

I made this offer to you once before... next time you're in Toronto, I'd be happy to spend some time discussing Lyc vs. 13B.