Local Source for 4130 rod?

Go to any store that sells steel I am sure they have several in your area. Buy cold roll it has a better finish than hot rolled.You do not need 4130 steel to balance ailerons. It is just the weight that you are after. The weights do not add structure so there is no need for more exspensive 4130 rod. STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

I am looking for a local source for 7/16 inch 4130 steel to use for balancing my aileron. I am in the DFW area, near Arlington Texas.

I'd be much obliged for any ideas and connections.

Carl

you can use any type steel for the weights they are not structural I used stainless steel . that way there is no corrosion between the steel and the glass. Ihave seen older long ezs that have a lot of rust spots coming through the glass on the weigths I have also seen 3/8" brass rod used it is heavier the steel. on the expensive Lancairs they use tungsten rods.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

This makes me think a bit. Lynn I aggree I think I will use stainless rod.

If my memory serves me I used 3/8" rod for the aileron balance weights on my Longeze. With out running out to the shop to check my plans the

cozy IV uses 7/16" rod I thought the wings were the same on these birds???

What am I missing? STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Thanks for the quick replies. The rod I just took out of this aileron is an undersize 3/8 steel and there was some slight rusting on the ends that are exposed to the elements. The rust extended in about 5 inches.

They did not have anything useful at the home depot yesterday. I'll be hitting the yellow pages today, after coffee.

Carl

This makes me think a bit. Lynn I aggree I think I will use stainless rod.

If my memory serves me I used 3/8" rod for the aileron balance weights on my Longeze. With out running out to the shop to check my plans the

cozy IV uses 7/16" rod I thought the wings were the same on these birds???

What am I missing? STeve build on

the wings are the same out board of the strakes. the rod was uped to 7/16" because many long ez builders had trouble getting the ailerons to balance. Nat used that idea when he did the plans for the mark IV

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Thanks for the quick replies. The rod I just took out of this aileron is an undersize 3/8 steel and there was some slight rusting on the ends that are exposed to the elements. The rust extended in about 5 inches.

They did not have anything useful at the home depot yesterday. I'll be hitting the yellow pages today, after coffee.

Carl

If you can't find it locally it can be ordered from McMaster.com in 6' lengths