wing attachment

Hans S

I've gone thru the plans a couple of times and I seem to be confused about something. Are the wings only held on by the three hard point bolts that go thru the spar? It almost looks like the strake end and wing do this plug and socket thing for .7", but I'm unable to tell. Or are the wing and strake end just a butt joint. If you unbolt the wing from the spar, will the wing fall straight down, or do you have to pull the wing away from the plane first. Pretend the control linkage isn't installed. I tried to find pics of the wing and the end of the strake, but they are either already attached, or too early in the build process. Looking for pics for completed strake, ready to fly, and wing ready to fly. Thanks

I've gone thru the plans a couple of times and I seem to be confused about something. Are the wings only held on by the three hard point bolts that go thru the spar?

Assuming you're talking about Long-EZE's and COZY's (you don't say), then yes - there are three bolts holding the wing onto the main spar. Two out near the tip of the spar, one on top, one on bottom, and one inboard at the inboard end of the wing near the bottom.

If you pull the bolts out, the wing falls off - there are bushings that butt up against each other at all three spots, but no "plug/socket" action.

Get a set of plans - it becomes obvious what's going on.

Hans, looks like you have plans #745 for the Cozy MKIV. You'll find in the chapter where the spar is made and installed there's a bit of alignment to do. What some have done(like me) is build the wings before the spar. Then when it comes to aligning the spar to the wings and fuse, you can attach the wings first to the spar. I did this and only require one .070" shim between one bushing on the spar to wing attach bolts.

There is a small space between the strake end and the wing root so the leading edge of the wing will flex a little in flight without touching the strake. Some guys make this gap very small so it looks like they're attached. Believe me, the wings are solid strong attached to the spar.

Get a set of plans - it becomes obvious what's going on.

I do have a set of plans. I'm talking about Chapter 19, Page 8, Fig. 43, the 0.7" recess. What is it for? Wouldn't it have been easier to make the surface flush with the outside skin? From what I can tell, the strake cap is flush. So, I was trying to figure out if .7" of the strake was supposed to fit inside the wing.

Oh, and it's a Cozy IV.

I do have a set of plans. I'm talking about Chapter 19, Page 8, Fig. 43, the 0.7" recess. What is it for?

Nothing in particular - it's a recess, just so that you can have some flange support for the skin. I use it as storage space for extra lengths of wingtip lighting wiring when I'm assembling the wings - got to attach the wiring connectors, and then coil up the 2-3 feet of extra wire somewhere.

Wouldn't it have been easier to make the surface flush with the outside skin?

Don't know about easier - maybe. Would have required flox corners for support. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other, probably. But then less space for the wiring, although there's still the strake end space...

From what I can tell, the strake cap is flush. So, I was trying to figure out if .7" of the strake was supposed to fit inside the wing.

Nope.

Nothing in particular - it's a recess, just so that you can have some flange support for the skin. I use it as storage space for extra lengths of wingtip lighting wiring when I'm assembling the wings - got to attach the wiring connectors, and then coil up the 2-3 feet of extra wire somewhere.

And as it doesn't say this anywhere and anytime someone wants to make a change they're told everything has a reason, I was wondering about this.

Don't know about easier - maybe. Would have required flox corners for support. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other, probably. But then less space for the wiring, although there's still the strake end space...

I was thinking more along the line of recessing it just enough to put three layers in there to make it flush. Or, while skinning the wing the first time cut the foam back beforehand. So crap wouldn't build up in there over time. Depending on the gap.

Nope.

I didn't think it was, but I haven't seen someone install the wings first hand, hence, my confusion.