Pictures of Cockpit Cozy III

Arbiter

Hi Folks,

Any pictures of a Cozy III front seat and back seats? I am trying to get a feel for how the controls are laid out in these aircraft. Thank you!

-Chris

Chris Zupp

~Aircraft Designer~

Preliminary Design Sequence I: Project Endeavour

Aeronautical/Mechanical Engineer

Private Pilot

Have you reviewed maddy's site? Probably lots there

http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/main

This is a Cozy III I used to own. Don't have a good backseat photo, there were no controls in back but they could be put in pretty easily.

Do you know anyone who put controls in the back of a Cozy? Thanks for the cool photos Kent! :)

-Chris

Chris Zupp

~Aircraft Designer~

Private Pilot

Do you know anyone who put controls in the back of a Cozy?

Why would you want to do that? Your co-pilot would be in the front seat, no? How many co-pilots does one need to fly a 3-person plane?

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Do you know anyone who put controls in the back of a Cozy?

Not offhand but As far as the stick goes, it'd be just like putting a stick in the back of an EZ. Might need an extra universal joint in the linkage but very easy to do.

A second throttle would be more complicated. Perhaps fixed linkage-a 2024 tube- from front to back throttles with a disconnect link in the tube and the main push-pull cable from the front throttle as the Cozy IV uses. You would want some way to overcome a jammed rear throttle or some way to insure the rear throttle is never jammed. Perhaps a removable rear throttle lever when carrying luggage in back.

Rudders are just cables. Form some toe-loops in back and fly barefooted.

-Kent

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Not offhand but As far as the stick goes, it'd be just like putting a stick in the back of an EZ. Might need an extra universal joint in the linkage but very easy to do.

A second throttle would be more complicated. Perhaps fixed linkage-a 2024 tube- from front to back throttles with a disconnect link in the tube and the main push-pull cable from the front throttle as the Cozy IV uses. You would want some way to overcome a jammed rear throttle or some way to insure the rear throttle is never jammed. Perhaps a removable rear throttle lever when carrying luggage in back.

Rudders are just cables. Form some toe-loops in back and fly barefooted.

-Kent

second throttle is simple. you mount the two throttle levers any where you want in the aircraft. run cable from each to the linkage arm on the fuel servo. connect both to the same point. remove the throttle hold friction device from the back throttle lever. when one moves the other moves with it.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Howdy,

What a great number of posts back, with some very thoughtful ideas! Good point about throttle redundancy too! To John's point, i am going to make my Cozy/Aerocanard a 3 Seat with 1 in the front. This is due to space limitations and front seat loading (I'm a bigger guy, too much to have another person over 150 lbs in the front seat with me and wide shouldered). I figure this will be the optimum wagon family truckster. What I was thinking for the back throttle is using a push-rod type and mount it in the panel I will put back there. There won't be much of one, but I will put all the basics and no rudders. With the weight margin I would have I could take 3 full sized adults with almost full fuel and still have ~90 lbs baggage, but no room to put it ;). Guess that leaves room for a nice in-flight entertainment system ;). Thanks for the thoughts so far! Let me know what you think of a push/pull throttle for the back as a back-up to the primary in the front...

-Chris

Chris Zupp

~Aircraft Designer~

Private Pilot