AeroCanard strut vs. Cozy IV strut

MoneySink

They had issues where they would sag and spread, more so than the Featherlite ones would.

Not sure that's fair. I have no first hand knowledge, and have seen an email from Nat claim that it is so, but also understand Marc Z has an Aerocad strut and reports no problems, and John Slade has reported sagging on his Featherlite.

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

Not sure that's fair. I have no first hand knowledge, and have seen an email from Nat claim that it is so, but also understand Marc Z has an Aerocad strut and reports no problems, and John Slade has reported sagging on his Featherlite.

Not sure THAT's fair either, You'll find discussions regarding the subject in the Cozy Builders archives and both have had issues.

Rich, The Featherlite strut is not the same, it is reportedly made using a proprietary process (per Burt Rutan), weather or not that process differs from the AeroCanard strut I don't know, but definitely not the same people.

There was no resolution to either issues AFAIK (spread, shimmy) other than a possible flaw in the design and/or builder error in the torsional layups etc.

Regards,

Jason T Heath

MarkIV #1418

heathjasont@yahoo.com

Does anyone know if the AeroCanard main gear strut is identical to the Cozy IV strut?

TIA

From the posts I believe the answer is yes. I am assuming that you are asking if (for example) Featherlite has a different spec for the Cozy vs. the AeroCanard.

The folks at Featherlite could provide the definitive answer.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done