Urgent request for advice

On a big trip again, 14 hours flight time West of home. Just visited the plane as I was concerned about some high winds.

She has pulled and broken one serious tie down rope, the others were intact. Must have been something to drag a heavy LE with its bumper on the ground.

It looks like the lower winglet bounced on the ground as the plane was sort of slung around about six feet.

Damage is to this winglet. Also there was already substantial cracking in the filler around the wheel pants. Been this way for some years. One crack has opened up on the wheel that dragged and some filler on the inside is also missing. Looks Ok otherwise.

I have one day to repair and two possible days to fly out before the weather closes in again. Assuming She is flyable and survives the current two cold fronts moving through with the extra ropes added today. There is no one on the field and no possibility of moving her alone in the current winds.

I ask your advice and comments on my ideas to go forward.

1. Temporary repair to lower winglet. Do I use epoxy to stabilize first or just go ahead with the local version of Bondo and tidy things up. There is a lot of flying to do before I get home.

2. The wheels look ok despite the cracking. I plan to check the tire pressure then do a few taxi runs and check the braking, steering and ensure things feel and act normally. If not, it’s no fly.

3. Work some epoxy into the pants filler cracks just to protect the prop in case any of it loosens.

4. If I use overnight epoxy can I apply it and ‘Bondo’ over the top before it sets?

Suggestions welcome please. I’ve read that this lower winglet is removed on some planes and it doesn’t look like I have structural issues with the wing itself. Anything to look for in particular?

Pics - winglet damage and there is a slight tear that needs attention not so visible, wheel spat filler crack, distance the plane moved - hard to see the how thick the broken rope was, wheels- seems a bit lop sided in the photo but looks normal to me on site.

Many Thanks (guess I get to do a full write up later on this trip...)

...currently in Esperance, W.A. Australia.

post-1364-141090162732_thumb.jpg

post-1364-141090162735_thumb.jpg

post-1364-141090162737_thumb.jpg

post-1364-141090162739_thumb.jpg

post-1364-141090162742_thumb.jpg

Dave

VH-JZE

Dave.

You are right, nothing structural in the bottom winglet. I would use some 5 minute epoxy (or the real deal) and get the tear to stick back in place and just use some tape to cover the exposed foam till you get home. If you can, get some of the foil "100MPH" tape. The use it on Boeings so it will stay put on our machines. Good hardware stores will have it. It is used on heater flues etc so may be in that dept. A plumbing supply shop will have it as well. You can probably just get away with the tape. The main thing is you dont want that bit of torn glass flapping in the breeze.

As for the wheel pants, if its just in the filler I would stick some epoxy in the cracks and leave it at that. Main thing is to make sure the pant is still very secure and that its not going to move in flight. If its more that just a crack in the filler you should probably sand the area back a bit an put a couple of BID tapes over it. From the pics it dosnt look like you can just take the whole pant off that easy.

Must have been bloody windy, I guess I will get it in a couple of days.

Chris Byrne.

Hi Dave,

looks nasty but Chris has you sorted. If you need a hand, call the local point of contact for the SAAA and find another Canard or composite chap to help you out (have sent details to you in a private message).

When you get back to Melb'give me a hoy and I will lend a willing set of (not very experienced) hands to help you with any repairs.

Melb' is currently experiencing high winds as well. It appears that it will be windy for the next few days at least, mostly strong northernlys at the moment.

Bruce.

I'm sure the tears are worst than the tear! :) Chris seems to have the best advice. I don't think the bondo would be needed as long as the the glass isn't flopping in the wind. Preventing further delamination would be a concern. Taping it should solve that. Sorry you'll just have to deal with the 1 knot drag penalty! :)

If you can make it on into Perth, Kevin may be able to help you if needed.

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

Thanks to all for the input.

Sounds like epoxy and tape at this stage. Unfamiliar with the 100mph thing. Does it have an Aussie brand name or type? Fall back position is Nashua Gaffer if I can get it. I understand that stuff.

Up to 20 hours to run and a couple of weeks before home. See what happens tomorrow.

Dave

VH-JZE

Thanks to all for the input.

Sounds like epoxy and tape at this stage. Unfamiliar with the 100mph thing. Does it have an Aussie brand name or type? Fall back position is Nashua Gaffer if I can get it. I understand that stuff.

Up to 20 hours to run and a couple of weeks before home. See what happens tomorrow.

Dave

Will you be able to get epoxy in Esperance?

I am resident in Perth (approx 700 km North of Esperance) Quite a few Long ezes around and Kevin Dove is also not far away. I have MGS, kevin is building and I am sure there are guys around here taht can give you an opinion.

Hennie

Did the patch up today. Canard took a hit as well which makes sense as you think through the actions. So thats Canard repair, winglet repair and wheel pants.

Time for new pants anyway. Get rid of the old clogs.

So which pants are fastest? (5" wheels) The RV pressure recovery type?

Have to put a second antenna into the left wing soon so that comes off anyway.

I liked the Canard just the way it was. Need help to think of a good thing for that coping it too!

Did a very close inspection, canard attachment etc all feels AOK. Put a bead of glue around the pants cracks and did a few taxi runs to 50 knots, braking and turning etc. The bead was undisturbed.

Found some 100mph tape - it really is called that - didn't know. Everything feels normal - quite a relief. I'll do some tests around the field tomorow otherwise its head off Westward. Except its raining outside tonight.

Every day an adventure.

Thanks to all.

post-1364-141090162775_thumb.jpg

post-1364-141090162778_thumb.jpg

post-1364-14109016278_thumb.jpg

Dave

VH-JZE

Did the patch up today. Canard took a hit as well which makes sense as you think through the actions. So thats Canard repair, winglet repair and wheel pants.

Good to hear. I can't image what type of ride your plane took. I'm sure it would give any theme park ride a run for it's money.

Time for new pants anyway. Get rid of the old clogs.

So which pants are fastest? (5" wheels)

You're gonna want to borrow my Fein aren't you? :) Hang on it's a 110V in a 220V country. hmm. Ok really really really long extension cord. No worries, we can carry the voltage transformer out to the airport.

oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, I've got to make a part to put on your plane, now I getta help cut some off! :envy:

---

---

Brace for impact...

Thanks for volunteering Drew with so many people as witnesses. :P

You get to practice building all sorts of things before making them for your own plane.

Think what a better job you will do on your second canard, wing and pants installation.

...and cutting bits off? Thats just bonus raw fun.

You lucky guy! :thumbsup:

Dave

VH-JZE

Dave, it's just lets me make the mistakes on YOUR PLANE! :)

I try to learn from the mistakes of others, but when that doesn't work I try to learn from my mistakes at the expense of others! ha ha ha

---

---

Brace for impact...

She has pulled and broken one serious tie down rope, the others were intact...

Which of the many types of tiedown systems do you have on your plane? What broke? The tiedown point? The rope? The knot in the rope untied?

Found some 100mph tape - it really is called that - didn't know. Everything feels normal - quite a relief. I'll do some tests around the field tomorow otherwise its head off Westward. Except its raining outside tonight.

Every day an adventure.

Thanks to all.

UP here we call it 200 mph racing tape, we must be on a faster pace here then the boys down under .

its just Duct tape.

but on this forum it is known as Cozy IV tape.

also know as a life saver and if you don't know any other way to fix it, you try and tape it.

http://www.ducttapeguys.com/duckvsduct.html

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Which of the many types of tiedown systems do you have on your plane? What broke? The tiedown point? The rope? The knot in the rope untied?

The airfield supplied rope broke. Maybe I should have trusted my own skinny ones and my own tie down points. The chain thing looked pretty good. Had a funny knot where it broke. Looked the part.

post-1364-141090162782_thumb.jpg

Dave

VH-JZE

oh, boy the good old Eye-Splice. That's one of the early skills I learned during my scouting days. It was quite enjoyable to see one come together.

It's been 15 years since I've done one. If I recall correctly, any knot in a rope will weaken it. A splice will still weaken it, but it's significatly stronger than the knot.

looks to me that the rope was just plane worn out.

btw, I was speaking Knot not Naut. :)

---

---

Brace for impact...

In the spirit of wanting to learn why this happened, I had a good look at where the rope broke.

Now I'd show you the photo but I dropped my laptop last night and killed the hard drive where it was downloaded to. Also loosing a very funny and very long story about this trip. I wish to report sense of humor is still intact, unlike the rope. It may be wearing just a touch thin in places, also unlike the rope. Which is fine except for being in two pieces. Like the hard drive.

It broke, thats the rope, because of the wind, it broke when perhaps ropes don't break because on inspection it had been "heat treated". The nylon had been melted at the knot where it came apart. Nice cosmetic touch.

While not reporting an incident, I sort out the local airport guy to mention that the supplied ropes may be unsuitable. Turns out the ropes were placed there by visiting pilots and left behind. The airfield policy is to cut them off so the airfield can not be responsible for anything after the supplied chain embedded in concrete.

They just hadn't gotten around to cutting these ones off.

They also had a parking bay behind some trees. I though that would be no good in case a tree came down but local knowlege says use that one in case the wind turns around another 30 degrees 'cause then it gets nasty' and the trees JUST give that corner protection.

The three parking bays that I saw with tasty attached ropes I sort of thought would suit local conditions. I also had no idea that a LE could be thrown like a rag doll in what appeared to be just usual 30 knot stuff. WRONG.

Next question is what way to place the aircraft. Coming from gliding we went tail into wind as the parked angle of attack is not far off flying angle. In GA they taught me nose into wind.

After this incident I'm thinking, sounds strange, that upright rudder into wind with two ropes making the airflow along the wing is perfect. Problem was in this case the wind moved a good 30+ degrees. I just tied it down in the bays as the bays permitted and suggested.

I'm thinking this angled approach as this is where the plane ended up and it seemed pretty stable there, with the one rope taking most of the strain.

Whatever is best nose down, all that weight and our unusual wing arrangement might mean the conventional tie down approach is not the best one if you have to be outside in the breeze.

Dave

VH-JZE

it broke when perhaps ropes don't break because on inspection it had been "heat treated". The nylon had been melted at the knot where it came apart. Nice cosmetic touch.

Melting or fusing is the proper way to prevent a nylon rope from unraveling. Now just the end should be fused. If it was fused after the splice was done, then the rope may have been weakened

---

---

Brace for impact...

In the picture I dont have anymore, you would have seen the neat loop and then a length of rope suddenly terminated. This was where a knot was and they had melted the knot itself, not the end of the rope.

Dave

VH-JZE