rules to change an engine

wolf.

dear all, I am rebuilding a VE, has flown had a O-200, but I want to install something else, either Rotax 912 or a jabiru 3300. What are the rules, do I have to comunicate to the FAA the change do I have to do some test filghts (apart form the testing I will do my self obviously)???

By the way the craft is N numbered but we are in Italy.

wolf.

Cosy Classic flying (ex LX-ACE)

Varieze N39JC rebuilding

ok the 40h would be fine, but can I do that also here in europe, I am not going to ship the VE to the US for this. Whom do I have to ask and what form do I have to fill???

wolf.

Varieze N39JC rebuilding

Oreste Mucilli is a Cozy Builder in Italy,

http://www.cozy.it/

He may not personally be able to help, but maybe he knows people.

Good Luck.

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

U.S. registered Experimental-Amateur Built aircraft will have "Operating Limitations". These are usually several pages of instructions that must be kept in the airplane and govern such things as repairs, inspections and modifications. These operating limitations have changed over the years but they will probably say what you have to do after a major modification. There is no FAA rule on this; it's all in the individual operating limitations assigned to your airplane. Good luck.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

I understand this plane isn't in the US!!..

I have a couple thoughts on this:

1) Call the FSDO (or DAR) who issued the Operating Limitations (OL's). Ask to speak to the person who issued the OL's and tell them your thinking of changing the engine. Ask what they would like you to do.

2) They may want to re-inspect the airframe and re-issue a new set of OL's. (or not)

3) One of the factors driving the decision to update you current OL's will be the age of your original OL's. If they are real old and don't contain the new "Standard Language", The FSDO will want to reissue a new set of OL's.

4) ALSO, your OL's specify a very specific airport / operating area to conduct Phase I flights. Operation outside this assigned area is not permitted when conducting Phase I flights.

(I'm going through this now with my landing gear change. I have old OL's, I've made major structural modifications, AND I'm changing my Phase I operating area, thus the need for new OL's)

If your real lucky and there is no requirement to update your OL's I would expect that you will be told to conduct 25 - 40 hours of Phase I and an inspection by the FSDO will not be required.

If this is the case, you'll make a logbook entry something like:

"As per OL's dated mmddyy, Paragraph XYZ, ( XYZ = the part that says you need to reenter Phase I after any major airframe modifications)

Airframe Time 1234 hrs, 20 May 2008, Aircraft N1234EZ removed from Phase II flight restrictions and entered into Phase I flight restrictions"

Now, do all your testing (don't forget any new Aerobatic maneuvers that need to be documented)

When you've flown off your 40, and are ready to go back to Phase II, make a similar log entry:

"Airframe Time 1274 hrs, 20 June 2008, Aircraft N1234EZ removed from Phase I flight restrictions and entered into Phase II flight restrictions"

Don't let the "Flight Restrictions" word scare you, You will ALWAYS be restricted to your OL's and be operating under either "Phase I" or "Phase II"

Don't Forget, If you plan on doing any aerobatics as part of your Phase II, These must first be defined, demonstrated, and log book entries made during Phase I. Describe the maneuver plus entry speeds, altitudes, roll rates, exit speeds, etc, etc.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

yes, guilty the VE is not in the US, but I will keep the N-numbers (much less hassle compared to I-XXXX) also should faith (work for a US company) bring me to the US during years to come... The ownership is claer, but the log's and the OL (basically al the papers disapeared, the 3rd owner died...) so I have to ask for a copy anyway.

wolf.

Varieze N39JC rebuilding