Internally regulated alternator question

They are not compatable. You would need to highly modify the alternator to allow it to use an external regulator.

What prompts this question?

I'm running an automotive alternator (Hitachi 55 amp) that has internal regulator, internal OV protection, and, external Voltage sense.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

I have purchased an auto alternator with an adapter from Great Plains for an O-200. I assume that the alternator has no overvoltage protection. How would I know if it does?

Hercpilot

check with a local alternator repair shop and tell them it is for your race car.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

I have purchased an auto alternator with an adapter from Great Plains for an O-200. I assume that the alternator has no overvoltage protection. How would I know if it does?

Try "Google" the manufacture and model number.

OR

Do as as Lynn recommends.

If you don't find your answer there, Give me the info and I'll see if I can find anything in the catalogs.

Waiter

Hey Waiter,

I am attaching a picture of my alternator. The only distinguishing feature I can see is the "ND" stamped on the back. There is no model number to be found anywhere! Unfortunately there is really no way to take the alternator to a shop to have it tested considering I would have to pull the adapter and find a pulley for it.

post-562-141090161464_thumb.jpg

Hey Waiter,

I am attaching a picture of my alternator. The only distinguishing feature I can see is the "ND" stamped on the back. There is no model number to be found anywhere! Unfortunately there is really no way to take the alternator to a shop to have it tested considering I would have to pull the adapter and find a pulley for it.

The ND probably stands for Nippon-Denso, the manufacturer.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

Bob Knuckles over at the Aeroelectric Connection (.com) has done a couple of write up on this issue. He does not slame internally regulated alternators for aviation, but does express it is a possitle failure mode and can trash other parts of your system IF it fails. IIRC, part of the reason is that you can not just shut it off without possible damage.

I took my Mazda alternators to a local alternator shop and they disabled the interanal regulators so they will work with the pricey B&C regulators.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

I found it in the PIC catalog (Picture catalog) # 205

Its a NipponDenso, I found about a dozen or so that matched this end plate exactly (three dimples, number, location, and shape of cooling holes, etc) with the Battery Terminal on the side.

Of those, there were several that looked very close, based on the location of the mounting bracket. I can't see the other nose mount bracket in the photo you supplied, so I just picked one that matched.

It looks like a 1983 - 1987 Honda.

The ND part number is 100211-2010, OR 100211-2011 , OR 100211-2140

ALSO The A&T Rebuilders # is 290-217 (14680)

This is a 65 amp version (I see several that are rated at 70 amps)

If the round connector has three lugs, They are (topleft to lower right) Sense, Ignition, Light. If yours has four lugs, its; Sense, Computer, Ignition, and Light.

Another very close one is from a 1984-1988 Toyota

Waiter

So do those model numbers have O/V protection? Where can I find that info? If that cannot be determined then I may just do as Chris has done and disable the regulator so as to gain the regulation and overvoltage protection of one of the aftermarket external units!

Hercpilot