Parachutes on a pusher plane.

I have been going through my Cozy plans before I start building. I noticed that the plans suggested wearing a parachute during the test period. This sounds sensible, but I would like to know about the logisitics of exiting a pusher prop aircraft. How would this best be done.

Also, I have been looking around on Ebay for parachutes just to get a sense of the prices. I see the army surplus chutes cost next to nothing. Most of them have the shroud lines cut "as per government regulations". Is there a way to reconnect new shroud lines? Is this one of those wink wink nudge nudge warnings, or is there really a safety issue with using old surplus parachutes? I don't think that I would skydive with such a chute, but it would be cheap insurance during the test period if they could be repaired. I don't really want to dish out $3000 for a professional chute if it can be avoided.

Crazy Canuck

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Cozy MKIV #MK1536

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hitting the Silk;

Your a long way from that point, but its always a good idea to prepare early.

I always wear a parachute for the first couple hours of phase one, and especially during the "flutter" testing portions.

My thoughts are, During the first couple hours, the flights are conducted directly over the airport. The need for a parachute would be limited to either a catastrophic airframe failure, OR, a severe in flight fire that is consuming the aircraft and the chance of a controlled landing are remote.

Regardless, You must think these emergencies through ahead of time and make many of the decisions before you even start the engine. Airplanes are expendable, I'm not. This is one of the arguments for hiring a paid gun to do your first flight, there is no emotional attachment to the plane, and I'll jump out of it in a heartbeat rather than risk my life to save your plane, (well, to a degree)

The airframe failure associated with "flutter" testing are almost totally an uncontollable aircraft with possible inflight breakup. You just plan the best you can and play it by ear.

As fir First Flight, I usually require some ballast, so I carry a 20 ft log chain in my lap (bunji cord to the seat belt.)

My theory is, If I'm able to do a controlled egress, Heres my checklist:

1) Point the plane at an uninhabited area.

2) Pull the throttle and mixture to idle cutoff.

3) Turn the Fuel Selector to OFF.

When the airplane is slowed down below 75 kts (time /altitude permitting) then;

4) Open the canopy.

5) Throw the chain out.

6) loosten my belt and harness and attempt to get my feet up and into a squatting position.

7) When ready to jump, release the harness/belt and jump up as hard as I can, or push out over the left strake.

I practice this routine while on the ground before engine start.

If the plane is uncontrollable or breaking up, I attempt to get as far down the checklist as I can, but all bets are off. Its a crap shoot and you just take what you can.

PARACHUTES

Check with your local EAA Chapter. Many chapters own a parachute. They usually require that you sign a liability waiver and that you must have the chute repacked before your intended use.

E-Bay, Don't buy any chute unless it has a fresh repack, AND/OR, a condition that the chute must be acceptable and repacked by a person or shop that you designate. If the chute cannot be repacked then it will be returned to the sellor and they will refund your money.

Expect to pay 400-600 for a chute!!! and about $75 - $100 for a repack.

Good Luck

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

and about $75 - $100 for a repack.

Crap! I only got paid $10 a chute!

May be iffy but you might try your local skydiving center or club. You might be able to rent or borrow one from someone. Just a thought but there are some knuckle heads out there who might do it.

Hey! I did see one on Ebay last week! The ad said, "like new parachute, never opened, used only once. :ROTFLMAO:

Hey! I did see one on Ebay last week! The ad said, "like new parachute, never opened, used only once. :ROTFLMAO:

Wasn't that guys (gals?) sig line: "If you don't succeed the first time, skydiving isn't for you"?

ba da bing :rolleyes:

PS: The log chain idea is pure genius.

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

The chain serves two purposes.

1) It helps me move the CG forward to the

"First Flight" box.

2) In the event I need to bail out, the Chain may clean off some of that meat grinder sitting at the tail.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

The chain serves two purposes.

1) It helps me move the CG forward to the

"First Flight" box.

2) In the event I need to bail out, the Chain may clean off some of that meat grinder sitting at the tail.

Waiter

I understand #1. But are you sure the wind speed would be sufficient to blow that chain back to the prop?

I understand #1. But are you sure the wind speed would be sufficient to blow that chain back to the prop?

Once the chain departs the cockpit over the pilot's head, you won't need any "wind speed", the prop will come and get it with the sure certainty of the moron-vote finding the Obama Box in November; It WILL happen. :yikes:

Hey, everyone else seems to be mixing bail-outs and politics these days, might as well go with the flow, the air-flow. :D

Once the chain departs the cockpit over the pilot's head, you won't need any "wind speed", the prop will come and get it with the sure certainty of the moron-vote finding the Obama Box in November; It WILL happen. :yikes:

Hey, everyone else seems to be mixing bail-outs and politics these days, might as well go with the flow, the air-flow. :D

That helps. I was picturing the chain being dropped down. I can now picture the chain being thrown into the prop.

On the political side of things... funny you say that. We just had our county caucus today and I am was an alternate Obama delegate! :D.

Moron I may be, but at least I'm not a...... ahem, were we not talking about parachutes???

. . . and I am was an alternate Obama delegate! :D. . . .

Why?? :ROTFLMAO:

His ability to translate Ebonics into understandable English aside, the guy and his entire crew are a Trojan Horse driven by a twisted pop culture prop. You can bet China's licking her chop sticks at the prospects of an Obama Administration.

. . . This is an airplane forum, and you will offend people with your racism and politics.

Easily offended are you?

Well, as an American, I make it as point to talk about what I want, when I want, where I want. If that offends you, you might consider taking your blind lips off Obama’s slippery a** and planting them squarely on mine. Practice your Silly-Lib shut-em-up by calling them a racist tact on someone else, it won’t fly with me, I call them as I see them, and since this is an airplane forum as you pointed out, well, you know, you might want to use your key strokes to talk about things that at least have a chance to fly. ;)

Okay, everyone that now feels offended, say "Aye".

Everyone else,

say nothing.

Bro Neo,

Please to mention that this IS a canard forum and it really is not a venue for religion or politics. Don't read this as pro-Obama...it isn't. All it is, is me placing my lips against my fuselage and laying on a good smacker. Lets be passionate about canards and canard stuff here, and not other subjects.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Easily offended are you?

Nope

Well, as an American, I make it as point to talk about what I want, when I want, where I want..

As a member of this group, you agreed to: "By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws" which forfeits your right to talk out of what you seem to want kissed!

Regards,

Jason T Heath

MarkIV #1418

heathjasont@yahoo.com

Save it for your election day. Most of us have hoobies like building aircraft so we can escape these sorts of conversations at least for a little while. Besides, not all of us are Americans on this board. Unless of course if you want to hear about Canadian politics.

I didn't think so.

Crazy Canuck

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Cozy MKIV #MK1536

First I'll admit to have never exited an airplane during flight. Second I have dead sticked in a couple of controllable planes; one C150 and one EZ. The EZ is an excellent glider if the airport is within reach ( no pun). Thus far no one has mentioned the possibility of unbuckling the belt and unlock the canopy, invert and push the stick forward, fall out, pull chord.:confused:

There are plenty of political forums if thats what you want to talk about. This is an airplane forum, and you will offend people with your racism and politics.

Aww, jeez, I was looking forward to a good food fight :sad:;)

The Coffee House forum might be a better venue for semi-canard talk, maybe. Or go to the "Arena" on my forum: http://www.concours.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=17 (shameless plug :D ) and have at it. Same people, same topics, same opinions.

Rick

Thus far no one has mentioned the possibility of unbuckling the belt and unlock the canopy, invert and push the stick forward, fall out, pull chord.:confused:

Might be just me, but I have no idea how to go inverted, push stick, and fall out when I've only had an hour/two seat time in a new plane. Am sure it could be done, but...

Rick

Priceless pearls from NeoTom:

"Once the chain departs the cockpit over the pilot's head, you won't need any "wind speed", the prop will come and get it with the sure certainty of the moron-vote finding the Obama Box in November; It WILL happen."

If your appreciation of basic physics is any indication of your ability as a social scientist...

Rutan suggested in the first place to just open the canopy and jump over the side. Look it up in the Canard Pusher. Per Rutan (and Newton) the aerodynamic loads (i.e. that drag force that would 'slow you down and drag you into the prop') don't really become an issue until you get up to 250mph.

Then again what does Rutan know about "sub-sonic" aerodynamics.

Easily offended are you?

Well, as an American, I make it as point to talk about what I want, when I want, where I want. If that offends you, you might consider taking your blind lips off Obama’s slippery a** and planting them squarely on mine. Practice your Silly-Lib shut-em-up by calling them a racist tact on someone else, it won’t fly with me, I call them as I see them, and since this is an airplane forum as you pointed out, well, you know, you might want to use your key strokes to talk about things that at least have a chance to fly

Actually no, I am not offended. I don't support Obama, I'm a Coal Mining Engineer and I don't agree with his Al Gore'ish agendas. I have fun watching his mistakes while his opponents let him tear himself apart.

I am not a liberal, as you suggest, but I am an American. For you to talk about politics here, while at the same time bringing the skin color or ethnic backgrounds of our members into question is inappropriate.

You are not supposed to talk about anything you want here... these are the rules, and you should follow them.

Please don't degrade yourself anymore, and try to get started on your project.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Nope

As a member of this group, you agreed to: "By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws" which forfeits your right to talk out of what you seem to want kissed!

I think he's still ok on those guidelines.

However, we are a bunch of people with different skills, beliefs, morals, etc who share a common interest; canards. This is just like the others at work I'm with during the day. And I can tell you that we talk about many other things than work. At next Rough River, I'm going to go around and if I find any two or more people talking about anything OTHER than canards to take it off site, as this is a canard gathering and we should only talk canards.

This is however, off-topic.

So Jon, can we have that cafe that I spoke to you about?

Mike LaFLeur - Cozy MkIV #1155
N68ML
76225.gif