Brits that flew across the Atlantic

A couple of days ago I read a report somewhere on the Internet about 2 British guys that crossed the Atlantic in their freshly built Velocity. I was so dumb not to bookmark this site, now I can't find it anymore. Anyone of you perhaps knows what I'm looking for? It was a trip made by two British guys out of a party of 4 who built the aircraft at the Service Center. Some of them were former airline pilots. It took them 5 days to fly to England, I think they did it round about 2005. I wanted to take another look at their routing, cause I might end up with the same mission... Who can help me out here?

Hi Tom,

I've extensively run through that history but I can't seem to find it. Perhaps I bumped onto the Brits from a different location and this caused the site not to appear in the (extensive) history list. I've been browsing quite a lot lately because I'm considering to buy an aircraft. The options are countless: buy a (very old) 1977 C172 with a constant speed prop and 195 hp engine (advantage: Dutch licence on it, cabin space, reasonable cruise speed 130 kt, disadvantage: age), buy a brand new kit (advantage: I get to assemble my ideal configuration, can even put in a diesel engine that runs on Jet A-1 wich is cheaper in the Netherlands than AVGAS 100LL, disadvantage: very, very time consuming), buy a finished kit (advantage: it flies, it's relatively young, disadvantage: located in The States, means I need to get an American PPL and need to fly the machine to the Netherlands across the ocean or tear it apart and put it in a container, bring it to a harbour, put it on a boat, collect it at the harbour in Rotterdam and bring it to the airfield, etc, etc) So, to cut a long story short: I've been looking all over the internet to find info. During which period a tumbled across the British adventure. As it looks now, the most likely option is buying an American finished Velocity and fly it across myself. The Brits did it in 5 days (and were stuck due weather for 1 day), so it sounds doable. I wanted to have a closer look at their routing and now I can't find their story...

Thanks for your hint though!:cool:

Update: I've just checked the browse history on my desktop (normally I hardly ever use that one because I'm sort of attached to my laptop) and found the story again: http://www.debenlogic.co.uk/velocity/contact.htm and then scroll down a bit and, when your interested, you can read it yourself!

Can't help you on the link, but there is a Velocity coming up for sale in South Africa soon :-) It's a nice one :-)

http://www.usda.co.za/

and

http://www.usda.co.za/gi_thumbgroupWEB.php4?00_African_Pilot_Best

Chap's name is Marco Schmidt.

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

Thanks for the tip! As you can see in my edit in the post, I've found the link to the Brits and their Oddesey. South Africa - Netherlands is more convenient: practically the same time zone, no large water crossing. Distance slightly shorter. So, I'll keep an eye on that Velocity!

Thanks for the tip! As you can see in my edit in the post, I've found the link to the Brits and their Oddesey. South Africa - Netherlands is more convenient: practically the same time zone, no large water crossing. Distance slightly shorter. So, I'll keep an eye on that Velocity!

Sorry for that stupid mistake: Johannesburg - Hilversum The Netherlands is of course a longer distance! It feels odd compaired to the routing I looked into (Plain View Texas, via Gandar, Greenland, Iceland, Schotland to Hilversum) the Routing Johannesburg - Lusaka - Dar Es Salaam - Nairobi - Adis Abeba - Al Khurtum - Aswan - Cairo - Eraklion - Rome - Hilversum is about 1050 NM longer! I know I'm taking a bit of a de-tour but I would like to avoid Congo and Rwanda. And I'm hoping things will turn for the better in Nairobi shortly.