Rutan fiberglass specs

jpolenek

My local fiberglass vendor, who seems to know A LOT about composite materials, says he can supply me the Rutan UND and BID cloths. In the world of auditing, they say "in God we trust, everyone else needs evidence", so I'd like some way to verify that he actually has the right stuff. In the book Composite Basics, Marshall warns about substituting cloths that seem similar, so I want to be sure.

Are there any technical specifications available for the Rutan BID and UND cloths, besides just the weight, that I can check to verify that I am purchasing the same (or comparable) product as supplied by ACS or Wicks?

Joe Polenek

Joe

Cozy Mk IV #1550

If it comes from Hexcel and the numbers match, you're good to go.

(Forget about the RA prefix.)

Or interglas. IIRC Burt originally used Interglas but then got Hexcel to make the same product. (not 100% sure on that, but something along those lines)

Below is an extract antoher users site.

Advanced Composites

FFE280T1000 (Interglas 92125BID or RA5277)

FFE220P1000 (Interglas 92145UND or RA5177)

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

Or interglas. IIRC Burt originally used Interglas but then got Hexcel to make the same product. (not 100% sure on that, but something along those lines)

Below is an extract antoher users site.

Advanced Composites

FFE280T1000 (Interglas 92125BID or RA5277)

FFE220P1000 (Interglas 92145UND or RA5177)

The RA number must have come fro Wicks website. They post them in reverse order.

ACS lists it as RA7725 & RA7715

Hexcel will know them as 7725 & 7715

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

> FFE280T1000 (Interglas 92125BID or RA5277)

> FFE220P1000 (Interglas 92145UND or RA5177)

Is this confirmed?

If it is, then this is great news. Every foreign builder needs to be made aware of this information.

Over here in Europe those Interglas numbers are used extensively to describe glass cloth. This also means that Europeans can get the glass for cheap locally without having to order it from the US, 92125 and 92145 are easily available from every fiberglass supplier.

92125: 280g/m², twill weave, finish FKK/FRP144, dry thickness 0.35mm, thread count 7x6.5, yarn type warp/weft EC9-68x3tO x EC9-204Z (filament dia. 9µm), available colours: black, options: available with non-fraying treatment

92145: 220g/m², plain/UD weave, finish FKK/FRP144, dry thickness 0.25mm, thread count 6x7, yarn type warp/weft EC9-68x5tO x EC7-22Z (filament dia. 9µm, 7µm)

What kind of finish does the Hexcel glass use? The available Interglas FKK/FRP144 is rated for aviation use, so I assume this is truely equivalent?

Is this confirmed?

If it is, then this is great news. Every foreign builder needs to be made aware of this information.

Over here in Europe those Interglas numbers are used extensively to describe glass cloth. This also means that Europeans can get the glass for cheap locally without having to order it from the US, 92125 and 92145 are easily available from every fiberglass supplier.

For what it is worth, all Longs and Cozies build in Denmark have AFAIK been build using those Interglass cloths. AFAIK these where the ones originallay used by BR.

Comparisons of Hexcel and Interglass types along eith and conlusions would be most welcome.

I have attached an (old) Interglass datasheet showing the properties for both.

Interglass.pdf

Regards,

Henrik Juhl