Waiters Flight Data Recorder

Waiter

I just placed the latest version on my web site. This version is still BETA, but is very close. If you find any problems, please post here or send me an e-mail.

The new version adds four screens;

1) EFIS (Dynon)

2) EMS (Both Dynon and Grand Rapids)

3) GPS

These screens can be used real time if the recorder computer is connected to the Dynon, GPS or Grand rapids.

The screens are fixed at 640x480. I did this to instll a remote screen in the back seat of my LongEZ and display the Dynon data on that screen.

They also display the flight data when used in the Playback mode of captured serial data.

www.iflyez.com/EFISRecorder.shtml

Waiter

post-706-141090159892_thumb.jpg

post-706-141090159896_thumb.jpg

post-706-141090159898_thumb.jpg

post-706-1410901599_thumb.jpg

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Unbelievably cool!

Got anything or know of anything for the Rocky Mountain Instruments micro-monitor and micro-encoder? I'm at the point where I'm going through all of the manuals for them trying to get everything figured out and programmed. Apparently there's a 9-pin serial connection that I can make to my laptop, but I havent gotten that far yet. I just downloaded a ZIP file from their website that supposed to contain some monitoring software. Should be fun.

Great job with the Dynon / Grand Rapids GUI though!

Send me everthing you have on the Rock Mt and I'll see what I can do. I looked at their web site and it looked possible, but I need to know exactly what the data looks like coming out of their unit.

If you can capture a minute or so of data, send that to me also.

Waiter

Send me everthing you have on the Rock Mt and I'll see what I can do. I looked at their web site and it looked possible, but I need to know exactly what the data looks like coming out of their unit.

If you can capture a minute or so of data, send that to me also.

Waiter

My Friend, the data will be yours as soon as I can get it!!! Probably will be a week or two. I cant get some of the sensors going - ammeter, fuel flow meter, oil temp sensor. Also, I think I have o solder in the 9-pin serial port and I'm not the soldering type ... prefer drilling, tapping and bolting!

• 3 weeks later...

Version 3.3.7 is loaded with new features.

All screens have been resized to a standard 640x480 format. These will fit nicely on most small 7 inch dsiplays.

Added variable screen refresh update rates for the EFIS data and Instrument screens. This vastly improves performance for slower CPU computers. Rather than update the screens real time (65 times a second) you can select update times. The Default values of 250 ms (4 times a second) for the EFIS data screen, and 70ms (16 times a second) for the EFIS Aviation Instrument Screen. I recommend leaving them at this speed, even if your machine will run with faster speed.

EFIS, EMS and GPS Aircraft Instrument screens updated. I added Gmeter, Vert Speed, and AOA to the EFIS Instrument Screen.

Capture and save raw Serial Data on EFIS, EMS and GPS serial ports. The captured files are dated and time stamped. Older files are automatically deleted when a user set cache size is reached. Enable this feature and just forget about it. If something happens during your flight, download the files and read them with this program on another computer.

NOTE- Serial Capture is a seperate function from the original "Record" mode.

The original "Record" mode is still intact. "Record" gets all the data from the EFIS, EMS and a GPS and makes a data entry at variable speeds, The recording can be perfomed at real time (65 times a second) or slowed down to as sow as once every 30 seconds. The recorded data is in a tab delimited format that has been the corrected for the UNITS that is selected. i.e. Knots and Feet instead of Meters per second and meters.

Playback (and convert) captured serial data. Playback one frame at a time or any frame rate up to near real time speed. The playback dat appears on the data screen AND the Flight Instrument Screen. Can also convert captured file to a Tab Delimited text file.

Added MODE C transponder code generation. The Mode C altitude encoded data is generated from the Dynon EFIS altitude. Corrections can be made to the altitude data at 2500 ft intervals.(I need to work on the interface device - the box that goes between the computer and the transponder)

I updated the manual and included a Table of Contents

www.iflyez.com

Waiter

post-706-141090160091_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of related to airplanes :-)

Setting computer time:

You can set your computer clock by using Waiters Flight Data Recorder.

OR

I wrote a program that automatically syncs my aircraft computers internal clock with a GPS clock.

I just leave the program running and there is a cheep GPS receiver connected all the time.

I uploaded this program to my web site;

www.iflyez.com

Scroll down to DOWNLOADS and click on GPS_Time

Waiter

• 1 month later...