Just Bought N267JW

eracerchris

Just bought the E-racer out of trade a plane.Havent had a Canard since late 06'.I had my Vari Eze at Rought River 05 and most sun n funs(N830S did the formation flyby at RR the one on the page with Mitch).I always got the coment that i was the only guy flying a canard without gray hair(only 23).Anyways i can't wait to get out to CA to pick her up, Down in Trinidad doing some mapping for my company and wont be back untill late jan.Any Tips or advice i would love.

Thanks,

Chris Cox

ccox@aerialgroup.net

he told me bill ortell had bought it for a short time and wrote alot of things up on it.and i just cant get a good feeling about it.

Get an AP inspection and go from there.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

• 2 weeks later...

Its not that it cant accomodate people who are taller than 5'6" It will. All I'm saying is that It was at about the limit for me without modification. That is just my preference. I I was taller or heavier I think it could have been an uncomfortable fit for me.

Now, Can you fix that. Yes. You can do all sorts of stuff that is why they are experimental. You could move the rudder pedals, which is a little more work....you could take some out of the seat to lower your head. So with some modification it could be set up fine for taller people. As far as width goes......that probably cant be changed. If I recall the standard Eracer cabin width at the widest point is 39 or 40 inches.

Its not that it cant accomodate people who are taller than 5'6" It will. All I'm saying is that It was at about the limit for me without modification. That is just my preference. I I was taller or heavier I think it could have been an uncomfortable fit for me.

Now, Can you fix that. Yes. You can do all sorts of stuff that is why they are experimental. You could move the rudder pedals, which is a little more work....you could take some out of the seat to lower your head. So with some modification it could be set up fine for taller people. As far as width goes......that probably cant be changed. If I recall the standard Eracer cabin width at the widest point is 39 or 40 inches.

The easiest thing to do is to take out some of the bottom of seat and move the lower part of the seat back to a more up right position. the angle on the seat in that plane is to layed back and it makes it hard to hold your head up without using the headrest. this will give you more leg room and head clearance all in one step this is a simple mod and can be done in a day. the standard width is 42.5 at shoulders 1" wider the a Cozy

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

42.5" wide? It sure doesn't feel that wide. I have a Lancair 360 and it feels wider than the Eracer and its 42 at the widest point. I think part of the problem with the Eracer that makes it feel cramped is the Canopy frame sits just above your shoulder or right at it. Then it tapers in a couple inches to the glass. So the bubble is actually about 2 inches narrower on each side. Where in the Lancair the bubble is flush with the Longerons.

• 2 weeks later...

Also I have had 6'1 185lb passenger with no problem.

I'm 6'4 Jack :D

The pane was definitely tight for my legs, but tucking them behind the rudder pedals worked just fine for a short run. For longer flights, I think I'd need a thinner seat cushion and more clear space for my toes.

-dave

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

Were you wearing big clunky shoes? You might want to try out a pair of driving shoes for flying. OH so nice for long trips with your heels resting on the floor, they have cupped heels, and they are form fitting to your feet which will give you more room in the limited space down on the floor.

The one company even has a wicked name... http://www.piloti.com/

I personally wear the 'race performance' Monaco's or DTM's and I can attest to their incredible quality. Additionally, they are Nomex (fireproofing) lined.

I ran into the same problem on my E-Racer. I have to wear shoes that are as small and slim as possible. I don't have large feet but they will rub together and hit the F-22 at the top if I wear large shoes. I can only manage to stretch out one leg at a time between the rudder pedals.

Were you wearing big clunky shoes?

Actually, I was wearing my beloved Piloti G16s. I own 2pr of the Nomex version (Ingels and Corsa) but don't take them out for anything but track days.

That said, I do wear 13s, so yes, big feet, but they keep my 6'4 frame balanced nicely :D

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

Thanks a lot Aiman. Those Piloti Ingles in blue are just what I want for my Birthday!.. Very good link!

Gracias.=]

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

OK enough about the shoes. Us guys with size 13 feet know all about shoes.

What is it about this vehicle that needs to be reviewed more carefully than any other plane purchase. I get an undercurrent of concern. Could the group elaborate a bit more, please?

Thanks in advance

blue

• 4 weeks later...

When I originally saw this plane advertised it was out of my price range, so I posted a little message about it in the for sale section for the benefit of the forum members. After eracerchris backed out I decided to give the owner a call. To make a long story short, we came to a mutually agreeable deal and I flew out to LAX from Pittsburgh PA on March 1st to pick it up. We spent about 7 hours going through the plane, disassembling it , and loading it onto the truck and trailer. We did the paperwork at a local Jack-in-the-Box and I crashed at the nearest motel. The next day(Sunday) I meet Lynn Erickson back at the airport to get a look at his Evolution-eze, which has some similarities to the E-racer. That’s kind of like saying that a Porsche is similar to a VW beetle..:envy: His plane is a textbook example of how to build it right. If you get a chance, head out to Chino and take a look at it. Buy Lynn some lunch while you're at it:o . Just watch out for the scooter gang at Flo's!!

I headed down the road about 2:00 pm and headed toward the mountains. The truck was moving around a lot and I was puzzled because the wind had been calm at Chino. Then I saw a big dust cloud up ahead. The truck moved a little more energetically. Then I saw a sign saying that high profile vehicles were not recommended. Then I saw the 18 wheeler laying on its side on the shoulder. :yikes: Then I took the next exit. I got a little education about the Santa Ana winds, which were blowing about 60-70 MPH in the passes. While I was waiting, I was interviewed for the evening news, along with the other refugees waiting there. I ended up sleeping in the truck until the next day at noon when the wind subsided enough to leave.

After that it was smooth sailing down I-40, although I noticed that when I stopped in Texas, the place I had stayed at the night before in Arizona had 4 inches of snow. Then when I stopped in Arkansas, Texas had 6 inches. By the time I stopped in Cincinnati, Arkansas had 12 inches. There was some snow between Cincinnati and Columbus, Ohio, and rain the rest of the way home. Columbus ended getting 2 FEET of snow.

The plane traveled well, with absolutely no damage. Even though I was a foot over the width limit, no troopers gave me a second glance. I went through Memphis instead of St. Louis to avoid tolls and snow. I only drove during daylight hours. The truck got about 11-12 miles per gallon. The final tally was 2651 miles and 41 hours driving time. Sitting here now writing this, it seems quit surreal, except for the keys in my pocket.:banana::banana:

post-115-141090159997_thumb.jpg

post-115-141090159955_thumb.jpg

"We choose to do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard."

JFK

Wow, Richard great story and incredible effort!

Reminds me of Kumaros' wild trip across Europe to go get his Cozy III project! Yours though is is not a project- it looks pretty nice from the angles the pictures are from.

I can't think of a better way to buy a plane than with input like the guys at Chino could give. Lynns plane is just a friggin work of art, I will agree. If you morphed his plane and Jacks eracer- I think you'd end up with the space shuttle they both are that cool!

Keep us posted on what you are doing with that 'new plane' of yours! Very good to hear.

Congratulations!

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.