Firewall blind screws

coolamber

Even though I am currently working on chapter 6, I held off on building my permanent firewall until after I had a good template from the temporary firewall. I just got done bonding the fuselage into a 3D structure last night. (yea!) Anyway, soon it will be time to make the lower permanent firewall, and I was wondering if anyone has used click bonds here instead of using the welded wire method. When I looked at infinity's site the click bonds there seem to be directed toward the aileron attachment. Does anyone know what click bonds I should be looking at for the firewall? Am I stupid to consider click bonds here?

Also on a secondary note, where is the section in the plans where I attach the upper firewall to the fuselage? I wanted to read ahead and could not find it on first glance.

Thanks!

Coolamber

Attaching the upper Firewall etc is in Chap 18- in the second [section II] book of plans- thats probably why you didn't see it.;)

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

I had planed to do the same, I didn't think it was needed until late in the build. Even started prepping for CH5. I then glance ahead to ch6 and shoot there's the lower half. So I'm proceeding with making the firewall. I prepped the hardpoint and will alodine them and glass one side tonight.

As for the upper half, I looked that up as well. Ch18 Step 7. It's hidden very well in the plans. It's under a title: "INSTALLING THE UPPER HALF OF THE FIREWALL" :D

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

Hehe I was glancing through chapters and I think I quit I page from the section.

Any suggestions on the click bonds? The CB4000 seems to be the correct part number but I cannot seem to decipher the material or thread specs from the spec sheet to match the MS24694-S54 25/32" 10-32 thread screws.

Oh ya Clickbonds, I knew I forgot something. I'm planning on using them, but I'm not installing them now. I plan on installing them when installing the control system. That way if a minor shift is needed, it'll be a non-issue. Also there no chance of damaging them or getting epoxy on them.

---

---

Brace for impact...

Oh ya Clickbonds... I plan on installing them when installing the control system.

Aren't the heads supposed to be fibreglassed over now? I understand the desire to not even drill the holes until you have the brackets in your hand, but I don't think you'll be able to set them once the firewall is installed anyhow, unless I've got it wrong again...

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

First of all, buy your Clickbonds from JD, he gets about $0.50/ea for them or something. They come bare, no carrier or other stuff. Go to our website and read the cartoon tutorial on how we use them. The size JD sells is right for 99% of the things you would use them for.

I'd wait till you have the firewall all done and are ready to mount the brackets, assemble the brackets, mark the location, follow our cartoon.

Regards, Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

I bought 50 or so clickbonds from JD at infinity, enough to last awhile. I'm going to use them on the firewall, but later on while building the control system, same as Drew is planning to do. You don't have to drill holes in the firewall, you just mount them to the side you want them on, as the Cozygirrls explained on their website.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

What is clickbond?

I looked at JD and CG sites and as far as I can tell they are just normal bolts and nuts, kind of like what one use to put together the backyard metal shed.

I also looked at the clickbond manufacturer web site and they seem to require a password to look at their catalog. Didn't go any further.

I'm not even sure what material the clickbonds are made of.

Why should I use clickbonds?

WileEZ

"All of my ideas are suspect until proven otherwise!"

First of all, buy your Clickbonds from JD, he gets about $0.50/ea for them or something. They come bare, no carrier or other stuff. Go to our website and read the cartoon tutorial on how we use them. The size JD sells is right for 99% of the things you would use them for.

I'd wait till you have the firewall all done and are ready to mount the brackets, assemble the brackets, mark the location, follow our cartoon.

Regards, Chrissi

ahhh. The cozy girls are endorsing the method that I hoped to use. Now I can sleep at night. Scratch that.... must resist the urge to stay up very late building plane parts. :)

---

---

Brace for impact...

What is clickbond?

I looked at JD and CG sites and as far as I can tell they are just normal bolts and nuts, kind of like what one use to put together the backyard metal shed.

I also looked at the clickbond manufacturer web site and they seem to require a password to look at their catalog. Didn't go any further.

I'm not even sure what material the clickbonds are made of.

Why should I use clickbonds?

The CozyGirrrl site has some good documentation here.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

The CozyGirrrl site has some good documentation here.

Yes and it's an excellent explanation on how to glue/glass a bolt in place. But other than giving a physical description of a clickbond, it doesn't explain what it is and how it's different/better than a bolt with a flat head.

I still cannot tell the difference between clickbond and a bolt other than that some clickbonds has a flat head. I can buy bolts with flat heads. (AN rated too.) A quick web search does not illuminate me.

What make the clickbond special and why should I use them in place of standard bolts?

I really want to learn and not just do/use things because "everybody else does!"

I'm not saying clickbonds is bad, I just don't understand why use them. There must be something special about them, else you guys and gals wouldn't get so excited about them.

WileEZ

Looking through www.aircraftspruce.com, I found this page (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/clickbond.php) which seems to explain clickbonds a bit.

According to an article in http://www.proboat-digital.com/proboat/200612/?pg=30, the name comes from a "click" that one hear/feel when pressing on it to adhere to the surface. I checked the three links provided near the bottom of the article, two of the links apparently don't carry clickbonds anymore and the remaining link requires logging in which I'm not inclined to bother with.

Still didn't explain clearly what the advantage of clickbond is.

After another search via google, I found this web site: http://www.enfasco.com/Frame2.html. (This was actually a paid advertisement on the right side of the Google screen!)

I looked through some of the links at the bottom and now it make sense to me.

Knowing the above, I agree, the CozyGirrrls way is far more preferable as it would result in a stronger attachment point.

WileEZ

Still didn't explain clearly what the advantage of clickbond is....But other than giving a physical description of a clickbond, it doesn't explain what it is and how it's different/better than a bolt with a flat head.

I still cannot tell the difference between clickbond and a bolt other than that some clickbonds has a flat head. I can buy bolts with flat heads. (AN rated too.) A quick web search does not illuminate me.

These heads are flatter and bigger than bolts with flat heads.

Check out this link, then scroll down to the clickbonds. They Don't click. They just work.

http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/waynehicks/chapter_19_5.htm

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Ah! I obviously hadn't grasped the actual concept. I had only seen others use them as conventional fasteners with flat heads, i.e. drill the part and bond on the inside of the head.

On the Carbinge website they claim their preferred adhesive makes a better bond to fg than flox. Has anybody tried it with clickbonds?

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

Or:

http://www.theflightshop.com/ClickBond/Click_Bond_Info.php

which doesn't require registration, they carry the full line of CB's, and have datasheets.

Thanks for that one. I think the above site is slightly easier to navigate.

In short Clickbond is an engineered solution including the fixtures you require to install the item easily and accurately. With "item" I mean Plural in a big way. Lots and lots of clever solutions.

Hennie In Brisbane

"48 hrs away from tender submission :irked: 54 hrs away from going home::D

The thing is, you do not need the fixturing paraphenalia or the extra expense. Sure the fixturing stuff will get ONE clikbond stuck to a surface but that is all it will do. It will stick it on NORMAL to the surface, not normal to the part, and if you have several clikbonds to hold a single part how are you going to get them normal to the part? Please go back and look at our cartoon to appreciate what is going on. If you temporarily fasten the hardware to the part, then bond the assembly in place, everythng aligns automatically.

Regards Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Thanks!

With all the useful references (Clickbond.com is actually one of the worst references), I now understand what make the one the CGs referred to in their cartoon so desirable.

If my already high opinion of the Cozy Girrls gets much higher, I'll need to borrow the Hubble Space Telescope to locate it!

WileEZ

Thanks!

With all the useful references (Clickbond.com is actually one of the worst references), I now understand what make the one the CGs referred to in their cartoon so desirable.

If my already high opinion of the Cozy Girrls gets much higher, I'll need to borrow the Hubble Space Telescope to locate it!

Awe shucks thanks, but perhaps you're looking through the wrong end of the telescope?:)

Regards, Chrissi & Randi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo