Gear-Canopy Alarm

Ghost

I am in the final stages of my panel construction, and getting ready to start wiring.

My question pertains to the Rutan Gear-Canopy alarm.

I would like to know if any one wired individual lights, and audio alarms, meaning one for the Gear, and one for the canopy?

Any feedback is appriciated.

Ghost.

post-4979-141090157202_thumb.jpg

post-4979-141090157207_thumb.jpg

I am in the final stages of my panel construction, and getting ready to start wiring.

My question pertains to the Rutan Gear-Canopy alarm.

I would like to know if any one wired individual lights, and audio alarms, meaning one for the Gear, and one for the canopy?

Any feedback is appriciated.

Ghost.

Not having read the two place variety of the EZ plans, I can only go by comon sense.

It makes absolutely no sense to have one master alarm for all of the "gotcha-s" that can happen on an aircraft. One common alarm is acceptable, if barely, if there are other indicators as to what is the major malfunction.

Make your life easier, and safer by, as your question suggests using separate alarm lights for any thing that has to be alarmed. It's good also to use different types of audio alarms for each (not pitch but interrupted, solid, klaxon, voice) for each.

Imagine your making a tough landing, after a long flight, perhaps at night, perhaps higher altitude, perhaps tired, perhaps pissed off at something. Imagine something in the pattern that distracts you from your normal routine.

Here you are, almost about to touch down when you get an single "Gear Canopy, etc, etc" alarm. You then have to start searching for the reason for the alarm burning up precious seconds. Better to have one alarm for each--Gear- Bang get it down, Canopy, latch it or ignore it, Gib alarm, ignore it, etc.

Think of what the FAA would say if a store bought company suggested to have the gear and stall warning mechanism the same with a single indicator

GEAR/STALL

Take your pick

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

I agree with your philosophy that the systems should be independent. The VariEZe wiring diagram is very rudimentary ( early 1970's ) design, and it has worked well for a lot o EZ drivers out there; but I think all will agree it's an old design with room for improvement.

I am incorporating the Long EZ wiring diagram that includes a "Defeat" momentary button; after all during an emergency I am sure you can do without the extra distraction of an audible alarm ringing in the cockpit.

I haven’t had the opportunity to look at the Cozy Canopy/Gear alarm system; but I will add it to me research be for completing the wiring.

post-4979-141090157211_thumb.jpg