Main landing gear bow width

Phil Kriley

The plans tell you to flatten the bumps so that you have 5.75" at the widest point, but not to remove more than 1/8". My gear is 1/16 less than 5 3/4 - and I have not sanded a flat spot. Is this a problem? :confused:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

The plans tell you to flatten the bumps so that you have 5.75" at the widest point, but not to remove more than 1/8". My gear is 1/16 less than 5 3/4 - and I have not sanded a flat spot. Is this a problem? :confused:

Nope,

Sounds like you are ready to proceed. The bow can be slightly off after coming out of the mold, and this is why the plans have the directions on how to deal with the "fatter" area. You got lucky, I guess. Either way, it was'nt a big deal to sand it down, albeit a bit itchy. I think I had to take off about a shy 1/8" off the edge.

Kraig

Thanks Kraig - I guess I was just concerned about the admonition not to remove more than 1/8" from the bow, no matter what. Wonder what that's all about? I'd think you should make it the correct size, no matter how much you had to remove - I don't understand the reasoning. But it doesn't matter now, since my bow is already the size we need. :cool2:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

Wonder what that's all about? I'd think you should make it the correct size, no matter how much you had to remove - I don't understand the reasoning.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the s-glass used is a continuous strand (end to end) and removing to much from the bulges (severing the strands) would decrease the capacity of the gear leg so needing to remove more than 1/8" would possibly require exchanging the gear leg for another. Or, theres enough over engineering in the strut to not worry about it (I've read before that even Nat said it was OK to trim a little more if needed) but I'm no engineer and like you said, yours is fine so it doesn't matter. anyone correct me if I'm to far from the facts.

Regards,

Jason T Heath

MarkIV #1418

heathjasont@yahoo.com