I have never taped the ailerons---however, I have taped up all the other joints such as the wing to strake joint and the canard cover.

I currently have white silicone in the wing/strake joints and tape on the canard/fuselage joint. Really depends on how often you pull those surfaces apart. On a Longez, I would pull the canard all the time----no silicone there (you have to cut the joint, clean it, and reapply).

For taped joints, I used sail plane tape. Works real good----but you have to clean the surface really good to be squeaky clean---or it won't stick. If the tape lets loose in flight, it will make all kinds of noise. The tape colors I used were white and red and sort of feel like electrical tape.

Miller taped mine. I have no idea why. I missed out on a lot of explanations... At least half of the work done on my plane was very good and a big improvement. The other half - not so much of one or the other or both.

Don't know which one this is but sounds like a good idea from what I've read?

Some of the racers tried this to gain the last .00001 knot but makes inspection of the hinges difficuilt. saw one case where the hinge pin was 3/4 way out under the tape and the owner never saw it during preflight.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

My favorite is someone had the tape come undone in the middle, only secured on the ends, it rotated up and acted as a spoiler killing the lift, voiding the aileron, and the drag was bad too, he could barely control the plane, oh yeah that 0.000001 knot is worth killing myself over...wheres that smiley... :ROTFLMAO:

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

My favorite is someone had the tape come undone in the middle, only secured on the ends, it rotated up and acted as a spoiler killing the lift, voiding the aileron, and the drag was bad too, he could barely control the plane, oh yeah that 0.000001 knot is worth killing myself over...wheres that smiley... :ROTFLMAO:

You would be killing your self for a .00001 increase not just a .000001 increase, maybe that makes it 10 times more worth it.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Some folks believe that it improves aileron effectiveness at low speeds (besides the small drag reduction).

but how much time is spent at low speeds and if built to plans the ailerons are plenty effective. I believe the gain does not out weigh the safety risk of an unproven piece on a critical flight system. has anyone tested and proven its effectiveness on high speed flutter resistance?

but how much time is spent at low speeds and if built to plans the ailerons are plenty effective. I believe the gain does not out weigh the safety risk of an unproven piece on a critical flight system.

I'm not arguing with you - I tried the tape, found no change in characteristics, and took it off. I've never had an issue with the ailerons on my plane, but I do know of other folks with canard aircraft that would like more effectiveness at low speeds, and there are some folks that swear that the tape gives them that. I was just pointing out the claim, not that I necessarily agree with it.

has anyone tested and proven its effectiveness on high speed flutter resistance?

What would the tape have to do with flutter resistance? Flutter is an aeroelastic phenomenon... I'm not following.

I'm not arguing with you - I tried the tape, found no change in characteristics, and took it off. I've never had an issue with the ailerons on my plane, but I do know of other folks with canard aircraft that would like more effectiveness at low speeds, and there are some folks that swear that the tape gives them that. I was just pointing out the claim, not that I necessarily agree with it.

What would the tape have to do with flutter resistance? Flutter is an aeroelastic phenomenon... I'm not following.

Mark, I only ment this to be an extension of the discussion. I just dont see the need to improve the low speed characteristics. and perhaps if the tapes has an effect on the ailerons, the aileron gap was not very carefully constructed.

The point of flutter is that you are adding something to the aileron that could change the airflow at high speed in a way you don't want , maybe causing the aileron to flutter. the tape is straight and flush when aligned with the wing but it causes a fold ( bluge) when the aileron is moved up and could change the air flow going over the aileron. has anyone test with the tape at high speeds and high altitudes and confermed that there are no side effects and it is safe to use.

• 1 year later...
I have never taped the ailerons---however, I have taped up all the other joints such as the wing to strake joint and the canard cover.

I currently have white silicone in the wing/strake joints and tape on the canard/fuselage joint. Really depends on how often you pull those surfaces apart. On a Longez, I would pull the canard all the time----no silicone there (you have to cut the joint, clean it, and reapply).

For taped joints, I used sail plane tape. Works real good----but you have to clean the surface really good to be squeaky clean---or it won't stick. If the tape lets loose in flight, it will make all kinds of noise. The tape colors I used were white and red and sort of feel like electrical tape.[/quote

About the use of silicone on the canard/fuselage:

I used white silicone on my canard and petroleum jelly on the fuselage and it has held up fine. Seals the gap and keeps the rain out, does not stick to the fuselage. Best to have a helper to position the canard, but can be done by yourself. I did it in 1981 and still doing fine.

WT Johnson

Varieze 725EZ