CozyIV to Defiant comparison

Hans S

When it comes to the Defiant, how is it better than the Cozy IV? I realize that it is larger inside, but as I've never seen one in person and I can't picture it.

According to the spec sheets it seems to be 2 feet wider wing tip to wing tip. Six feet longer, is that right?

I can't seem to find fuel consumption numbers that are consistent for either plane either. I've found the Defiant runs about 17gph and the cozy is at 6gph, that seems like a huge difference in performance.

My plan is to use turboed 13Bs for either plane, from the HP I should be able to fly the defiant on just one if needed and cruise at less than 50% if using both. The 13Bs will be roughly 300HP, if I've read some other pages right.

Is it really going to be worth the extra build time? And what is the average build time for a Defiant. I've read 6000hrs, but I can't see it being that much larger than the avg 2000hr Cozy.

I'm looking to do some trans atlantic flying at some point and would rather have a back up engine just in case. If I could slap two engines on a Cozy, I think I'd be happy, but I haven't found any info on that being done.

Thanks

If I could slap two engines on a Cozy, I think I'd be happy, but I haven't found any info on that being done.

I dont have any info about 2 engines Cozy but I've seen 2 engines Long Ez maybe you can try this same way. Unfortunately I dont have any info besides these pictures.

Mak

post-2134-141090156711_thumb.jpg

post-2134-141090156713_thumb.jpg

post-2134-141090156714_thumb.jpg

If I could slap two engines on a Cozy, I think I'd be happy, but I haven't found any info on that being done.

Thanks

Here's what your looking for then. It's only a quick sketch by myself, not much thought gone into it and I never intended to build it. Just fooling around, but it would be pretty cool.

http://www.canardzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1735

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

Ack! That site is a mess, pop-ups, too many banners, ick. I've never seen it before and hope to never again. ;)

I think this is a much better representation of the "Defiant Group": http://groups.yahoo.com/group/defiantflyers/

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I think I like the Gemini idea. Single cylinder / turbo rotary, 100-150 HP. One on each end. Hmmm. Add fuel tank in front of rear engine for some extra weight back there to bring back the CG, not to mention relocate all the nose stuff to the back. Anyone have more info on that Gemini? I still want to go 4in wider.