Will it or wont it

fritzy

Hi,

I have just joined and hopefully you can advise, encourage me on my winter project. I have recently got into flying RC planes and thought I'd build something for next year.

This is where it goes awry. I decided to build a plane from the computer game Crimson Skies as a large model then decided to make it a fueled RC model instead.

The model (can't remember its name) is a canard with a pusher prop, bi-plane wings and If I can remember correctly a rudder under and below each pair of wings.

I have no idea if it would get off the ground but it looks great so I have to try. I'm using the profile of the wings from my trainer, stable flight, good lift, forgiving etc. the motor from my trainer ( a SC46a), and rough dimensions from the forementioned plane.

My aim is to get a look-a-like model that flies then improve the wing profile etc to increase performance.

A friend is advising me on the building process but the designing is all down to me.

Am I barking up the wrong tree or do you think I have a chance of getting it airbourne?

I am looking for any data concerning sizes and angles and position for the front wing at present, all other measurements are being taken from my trainer. Obviously the fuselage will be rounded not box section.

Any advice,tips,hints, encouragement etc will be gratefully received.

I will keep you all posted on how things develop.

Cheers

Martin:confused:

You'd probably be better off attempting something that has actually flown. Otherwise you might have to build 5 models before you get one that flies. If you replicate something that's already flown, you probably only have to build 3 models. ;) Seriously, you could probably make repairs on the first crash, so you may only have to build 2. ;) ;)

I would just build a scale Long-EZ or maybe a Kyushu J7W1 Shinden (see attached).

Modeling is great fun. Run with that bug you've got!

post-386-141090156293_thumb.jpg

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the welcome, Here is a where a piccie is, http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/viewer.aspx?productId=66&assetTypeId=1&shotId=0

This is the address for the picture, just copy and paste and it will take you there. Sorry I don't know how to post pictures up yet. I will do a small model to throw to check it will glide then make any adjustments. I'm lucky as there's a good knowledgable model shop concentrating on planes and helicopters, so I've lots of help at hand. If nothing else it is a lovely, if strange looking craft.

The only real concern is the rudders, as they sit below the lower wing, very dodgy on landings!!!!!! I may bring the rudders up between the wings, I'm not sure.

I've got pen to paper trying to get the numbers to work and by the end of today hopefully I will have the fuselage drawn out with the electrics marked out. Talking to some people the main thing is the CG and size of the front wings. As yet I can't find anything abot size ratios to the rear wing (s).

I want to start the build process in about 3 weeks time when my workbench is clear ( I'm a bit impatient to start).

I'm still unsure of a covering as I'm tempted to let my mate do some nose art on it like the WW2 pilots did. Can anyone recommend a covering please.

That's it for now, I will post the layout and plans for you all to pick apart and comment on as I get them done, and the same with the build when the time comes.

Thanks for the kind welcome once again,

Martin:)

Yes it is going, it has a pusher prop and rudders hanging below the wings. Does it look like a possible flier? With a few modifications or am I barking up the wrong tree? I will give it a go anyway, the madness is starting to take over.......

Cheers

Martin