Flying restrictions ?

steve1428

Does anyone know what the actual flying restrictions are for an EA over populated areas.

I know that they can be certified for night flight and IFR etc, but it's unclear as to what the deal is with flying over populated areas. The EAA defends itself by saying that according to FAR, you can't even really fly any plane over populated areas for lack of place to emergency land without causing harm, or something along those lines.

If you build yourself a nice cozy, are you going to be stuck flying it out in the country?

Does anyone know what the actual flying restrictions are for an EA over populated areas.

During the Phase I flight test, there are restrictions imposed by the Op. Limits. In Phase II (normal operating), there are no different restrictions than for any aircraft. Common misconception, but completely untrue. I can (and do) fly anywhere that any small aircraft can legally fly.

As a follow-up:

If you fly over a populated area, you (PIC) are responsible for operating your aircraft in such a manner (altitude) to facilitate an emergency landing that will eliminate any danger to persons on the ground (i.e. have enough altitude to make it to an airfield or deserted area.)

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Yes, that's the kicker, because, that goes for ANY airplane, not just an experimental!

There's a big writup on the EAA site debating that point, I was just wondering what actually happens in practice, if ATC ever refused an EA in a populated area etc.

Thanks for the responses.

One more question, a cozy is beyond what a "sport pilot" is allowed to fly isn't it

Yes.

... I was just wondering what actually happens in practice, if ATC ever refused an EA in a populated area etc.

No. What mechanism could they possibly use to do that? Unless I'm in Class B, C, or D airspace, I don't even have to have my radio turned on. In any part 91 GA plane - not just experimentals.

I've never had ATC give a crap about the fact that I'm an experimental, other than to ask what a COZY is.

I've never had ATC give a crap about the fact that I'm an experimental, other than to ask what a COZY is.

Isn't that what you use to keep your beer from getting warm?

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Thanks for the info, the cozy is the only plane for me, long range, fast, comfortable, but the guys I fly with are all anti experimental, and they've been giving me the business about my plan to build a cozy. They told me I wouldn't be able to do anything with it.

I say let them plod along in their Cessnas and Cherokees.

... the guys I fly with are all anti experimental, and they've been giving me the business about my plan to build a cozy. They told me I wouldn't be able to do anything with it.

I fly everywhere, anywhere, whenever I want, with no restrictions based on the experimental nature of the aircraft. I fly through any airspace, at any altitude, that any other aircraft can.

I work on, upgrade, and fix my own plane, at a total cost of ~$75/hr (that's for EVERYTHING - gas, oil, engine rebuild fund, depreciation, hangar, insurance, maintenance, etc.) and go 200 mph doing it. I don't need an A&P/IA.

Ignorance is fixable - stupidity is not.

If you are going to build/fly a COZY, you should join the COZY mailing list.

As Marc said, PLUS - much, much more.

I built in my O2 system during construction. and it gets used extensively.

Oh Yah, How many of your buddies spam cans can make it from San Jose CA to Detroit, MI, Non stop, in 8 hours. :D

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

what a COZY is... ...Isn't that what you use to keep your beer from getting warm?

No, it stops the tea from getting cold...

In Australia, if you put the aircraft type code in the flight plan, like COZY, ATC would have no idea if the flight is experimental or certificated, without being familiar with the particular type. If somebody plans JABI for a Jabiru we would have no idea if it has a certificate coz it came from the factory or somebody built the kit themselves.

How it works here is the regulator imposes any restrictions required on the operation of a homebuilt. It is common to be restricted from flying over built up areas if no duplicated ignition system is fitted here. ATC aren't the police on this.

Use the HXB type codes the US has, you are giving the game away, but it should not make any difference to airspace use.

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

Around our patch in South Africa, there is a huge hullabaloo going on presently.

After we have flown off the 25 or 40 hours with your Amateur Built plane during the "Proving Flight" period, then you get issued an "Authority to Fly"

This in real terms contains no restrictions, if you read the SACAA laws, regs & ANR's. However we have some bureaucrats in our system that have taken it upon themselves to issue you with the AtF document with various restrictions, such as NO flight over Built Up areas, no night flying and don't even mention IFR! In fact they don't want us at any airport open to the public :bad: without prior arrangements.

However we are taking them to task :bad:

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

However we have some bureaucrats in our system that have taken it upon themselves to issue you with the AtF document with various restrictions, such as NO flight over Built Up areas, no night flying and don't even mention IFR!

The world is filled with people afraid to fly and afraid to let you fly. Good luck.

-Kent

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold