Engine for Velocity

MarkW

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone is using (or plans to use) Lycoming IO-360-C1D6 engine. It's a 200hp fuel-injected engine that is used in Commander 112 cert. planes. I would appreciate any comments form folks who have had experience in using this engine in Velocity (it would be for velocity SE, of course).

On another note, has anyone used or plans to use Delta Hawk Diesel engine in his or her Velocity. I know there is currently one Velocity flying with DH engine (which is also the test plane for DH) and so far the results are very encouraging (see deltahawkengines.com website). But since this is a brand new design, I'm not sure if I should consider it or wait several years to see if it proves itself a good and reliable powerplant.

Again, any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Mark W

• 1 month later...

we dont have dr pepper here, but occasionally we get a similar mince pie problem.

We also don't have Diet Pepsi. It's some poor imitation called Pepsi Light. Way too sweet. Coke varieties are pretty good. Also having a fountain machine in gas stations/convenience stores is unheard-of.

...oh, the prices we pay to live in a foreign country.

The last two trips home, my parents have met us at the airport. I'm met with a hug and a 32oz McDonald's Diet Coke. I normally polish a second one off before the baggage claim delivers my luggage.

Hello, I'm Drew Chaplin. I'm addicted to Diet Coke and I have a problem. :scared:

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

Doctor Pepper alert..do not read while drinking..

Just what IS the REAL timeline on the [cue the fancy dramatic music and bleating kazzo music] Deltahock? It is actually alive, unlike the Iodine Vaporware. How long has it been promised, and is it really just around the bend?

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

directly from their website:

OVERVIEW OF STATUS

April, 2007.

FAA Certification Progresses

DeltaHawk is on its way to type certification of the DH-180A4 engine (180 HP). An FAA

Designated Engineering Representative consulting group, The DERs Group, has been engaged to

manage and direct the process. Current estimates are to achieve Type Certification (TC) as early

as the end of 2008.

Essential elements of DeltaHawk’s Project Specific Certification Plan (PSCP) were submitted to

the FAA early this year. Revisions are currently underway to prepare the document for final FAA approval. The PSCP will become the guiding document for achieving DeltaHawk’s initial Type

Certificate for the DH-180A4 engine. The remaining engine model variants will come quickly

afterwards as amendments to the initial TC.

directly from their website:

OVERVIEW OF STATUS....

Sherman, set the wayback machine to 1995, or 1996. Wow - look at Oshkosh - I haven't been here for 10 years. Cool stuff - look at this - here's a 4-cylinder 2-stroke diesel - company name, Deltahawk or somesuch - just perfect for the COZY I just started building. When will they have them ready? What - next year? That's terrific - I won't quite be ready for an engine then, so by the time I am a couple years later, they'll have a bunch of them in the field with lots of time on them.

Fast forward to 2007. Still in beta testing... Look how blue I've gotten in the intervening 11 years, holding my breath for so long. Not healthy.

What people SAY they're going to do, what they PLAN to do, and what they actually DO are three very different things. Only what they DO matters.

Sherman, set the wayback machine to 1995, or 1996. Wow - look at Oshkosh - I haven't been here for 10 years. Cool stuff - look at this - here's a 4-cylinder 2-stroke diesel - company name, Deltahawk or somesuch - just perfect for the COZY I just started building. When will they have them ready? What - next year? That's terrific - I won't quite be ready for an engine then, so by the time I am a couple years later, they'll have a bunch of them in the field with lots of time on them.

Fast forward to 2007. Still in beta testing... Look how blue I've gotten in the intervening 11 years, holding my breath for so long. Not healthy.

What people SAY they're going to do, what they PLAN to do, and what they actually DO are three very different things. Only what they DO matters.

Didn't it start out as a 220 HP engine and know it is trying to be certified as a 180 HP. and keep in mind that it will be certified as 180 HP if and when it does pass the tests.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

"Sherman set the wayback machine"...that is too dang funny...blew a non-fat milk snort on that one.

Thanx for bringing reality to the Deltahock time-line you three. Wish it wern't so.:irked:

I think one thing that realy hacks me off is that Theilert [if they actually get things sorted out] won't sell to Cozy experimentals, but will to Vans..that 250hp/or 300hp unit would be Cozy-groovy with FADEC. Hey, how does the Continental FADEC work anyway?...Good?

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

At one time, when, it seemed that Mark was picking on me, I thought of him as Darth Zeitlin. Now after spewing forth rivers of protien water (loose weight you must) I think of him more as Yoda. Emmmmm lycoming you must, build - not type you must emmmm.

Funny thing is, after reading for hours on end KISS seems to be the only way to get in the air. I wish that there were a cheap plug and fly alternative, but it seems like if you really want to consistantly fly from coast to coast their just are not many* other viable power plants.

To those of you who continue to develop, I salute you. Use the force you must mmmmmmmmmmmm.

*m- optional

-Guy

RSR- You getting to be schmaaaart cookie. Whatever you change will change more than you think.

No problemo, if one doesn't mind the time.

Self confessed Wingnut.

It's funny, I just got the go ahead to pick up my first home built, a Q200,

so naturally I'm trying to figure out how to go about it. I'm 37 and I havn't logged any hours scince I was 22 I think, and still have not soloed. So I'm thinkin', just what's gonna get me building time the fastest? A subaru, a mazda, a corvair, nope, probably gonna be an o-235. For the Q200, I really like the corvair but there just is not enough of a track record for me to fiddle dic around with it. I want to fly my own plane before I'm 40. I figure I'll go mod happy on my M-IV after I have a flying airplane to build time in. I'm choosing the 0-235 because I need it, I live over a mile high and my stip is almost a mile high. You think I ought to plan on a c/s to go with that?

-Guy