mfryer's ride

I just placed my first order with Aircraft Spruce. :D

Its just a composite practice kit, but I think I can officially say that I have started chapter 3.

I also spent the last few days cleaning up the "shop" and today I installed some florescent lighting, seems about 10 times as bright in there.

Tomorrow my brother is headed over to help me build a work table and spruce up the shop some more.

Also I started a blog to track my progress. I don't know how often I will update it but if anyone is interested in checking it out goto:

http://flyingbackward.blogspot.com/

If anyone has any suggestions about the blog or my progress please please feel free to let me know what you think.

Martin

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin, congratulations! If you've read any of Chapter 3, you can definitely say you're on that chapter! :) After you cut wood, there will be no question.

Blogspot is a great way to track and show progress, with an auxilliary spreadsheet or two.

I look forward to hearing more about your project. Keep it up!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Since you jumped in all right, you might as well protect yourself and call it an Open-Eze, or whatever... ;)

Definitely don't call it a Long-Eze, or an Open-Eze for that matter (The VariEze is the only EZ that went with 'E-z-e' vs. simply 'EZ'). ;)

In terms of protection, registering it something other than a Long-EZ is protecting Burt Rutan. Until then, I think it's fine to say "I'm building a Long-EZ." The point is that when you end up registering with the proper authority, consider something similar to these:

• Fryer Open-EZ
  • Fryer Tandem Canard
  • Fryer EZ
  • Fryer Speed Demon
  • Fryer Model 1
My $0.02.

Definitely don't call it a Long-Eze, or an Open-Eze for that matter (The VariEze is the only EZ that went with 'E-z-e' vs. simply 'EZ'). ;)

In terms of protection, registering it something other than a Long-EZ is protecting Burt Rutan. Until then, I think it's fine to say "I'm building a Long-EZ." The point is that when you end up registering with the proper authority, consider something similar to these:

• Fryer Open-EZ
  • Fryer Tandem Canard
  • Fryer EZ
  • Fryer Speed Demon
  • Fryer Model 1
My $0.02.

Jon,

protecting Burt is only a first line of defense. What happens if the sh*t hits the fan and you really screw up in a plane that you have been calling a Long-EZ, or whatever other name that alludes to RAF. You can count on RAF, Burt or both of them to go after the builder, if only to clear their names....

In this context, giving your project an entirely different name is also self protection...

bye

Hans

What happens if the sh*t hits the fan and you really screw up in a plane that you have been calling a Long-EZ, or whatever other name that alludes to RAF. You can count on RAF, Burt or both of them to go after the builder, if only to clear their names....

I'm not with you and your line of thought here Hans. People have had accidents in Long-EZs and even have died. Burt or RAF have never had a "go after the builder". They've researched the causes -- when they were behind the plans (when they cared) -- but that's it. They've washed their hands of the Long-EZ.

The valid scenario that I see is where someone dies and a spouse or other relative decides they need to sue somebody. The lawyers will follow the money, or at least try to. Regardless, it would be a disservice to give them any fuel to manipulate someone who has just lost their loved one into directing their attention towards Burt (or anyone else).

At this point I really don't think what I call it really matters, but for clarities sake I thought I would it a Long-EZ. I will give this more thought though.

I am not copying anything, official Long-EZ plans are not available, except a used set (an option I am not ruling out at this time).

I don't think Mr. Rutan has any lability concerns at this time as there is no aircraft flying or will be for a long time. Frankly I think any one would be hard pressed to sue any one based on what I call something, unless that person being sued is me.

As far as insurance is concerned, that is the first I can remember that particular issue being brought up with regards to Open-EZ aircraft. I would be interested to hear more about that matter.

Also what sort of spreadsheets would you recomend?

I dont think you need to waste your time or money on practice parts. Buy the foam and start making airplane parts. The bulkheads are flat and really easy to make and that is where you start. my.02 STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

I dont think you need to waste your time or money on practice parts. Buy the foam and start making airplane parts. The bulkheads are flat and really easy to make and that is where you start. my.02 STeve

You know, now that you mention it, I suppose you are right. The bulkhead plans do look pretty simple. Wish you had mentioned this before I ordered the kit! :D

On the other hand the composite kit is cheaper and I can more easily afford it now rather than ordering the chapter 4 kit. This subject opens a new can of worms regarding how I should order materials.:confused:

hmmmmm.

You know, now that you mention it, I suppose you are right. The bulkhead plans do look pretty simple. Wish you had mentioned this before I ordered the kit! :D

One note about the 'Kit'. They shipped mine with West System Epoxy. It's even printed in the book that comes with it. I WRONGLY assumed that this was an endorsement for this epoxy for our projects. I learned later (after I bought a bunch of it) that it is NOT an approved epoxy system.

I would be interested in finding out what they sent you.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

One note about the 'Kit'. They shipped mine with West System Epoxy. It's even printed in the book that comes with it. I WRONGLY assumed that this was an endorsement for this epoxy for our projects. I learned later (after I bought a bunch of it) that it is NOT an approved epoxy system.

Whoa Nellie:

West 105/209 Proset 125/229 are approved epoxies. Check your plans chapt. 3 Page 4 left side at the bottom it has all the approved epoxies. I do not know about the other west system hardners. my.02 Steve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Whoa Nellie:

West 105/209 Proset 125/229 are approved epoxies. Check your plans chapt. 3 Page 4 left side at the bottom it has all the approved epoxies. I do not know about the other west system hardners. my.02 Steve

NOT! You can use the 105 with the tropical hardener but you won't find that at ACS.

I'm sure others will chime in here. It was a big surprise to me. You can use it for the fill but not structural.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I would be interested in finding out what they sent you.

Roger that. I do recall that discussion. I was leaning toward MGS as that seems to be a very popular choice among builders.

Thanks

NOT! You can use the 105 with the tropical hardener but you won't find that at ACS.

I'm sure others will chime in here. It was a big surprise to me. You can use it for the fill but not structural.

You certainly can find the 209 (tropical) hardener at ACS. Here is a part number for the small size: 01-00362.

But, you can also find it locally at any West Marine from coast to coast.

Frankly I think any one would be hard pressed to sue any one based on what I call something, unless that person being sued is me.

That's exactly the scenario. You crash your plane and kill your buddy, or fly into a house and kill a family (etc.). Relatives of those families feel the "need" to sue, so they start with you and your insurance company. If they make the connection to Burt Rutan, their lawyers may suggest naming him in the lawsuit as well.

My point is only that anyone building an Open-EZ should give consideration to NOT registering it as a Long-EZ.

My point is only that anyone building an Open-EZ should give consideration to NOT registering it as a Long-EZ.

Of course I am not a lawyer and don't have any extensive knowlege in this area, so that said, I agree with you. I feel it is a little more honest to admit this design is identical to the Long-EZ and for discussions sake I will call it that.

As to registering it I agree that it would probably be officially a different name. If I were to purchase a second hand set of plans I might consider using the Long-EZ name to register it, but without a SN this seems to really get down to symantics.

On another note, when should I contact the FAA and let them know that I am building an aircraft? I remember reading that there would be required inspections during the build, but also I read that that has changed and the inspection is only before testing.

I feel it is a little more honest to admit this design is identical to the Long-EZ...

More honest than what? There has been no attempt to suggest that the Open-EZ design is different than that of a Long-EZ. In fact, the benefit is that the Open-EZ is the exact same design as the Long-EZ.

To celebrate my new blog, Flying Backward, I have chosen an avatar. Perhaps some of you know the silly relevance.

You got me there. Captain Bread Head? :)

Captain Bread Head? What are you, oblivious to popular culture? That's "Powdered Toast Man!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powdered_Toast_Man

Apparently, PTM flies backwards, hence the association with canards.

More honest than what? There has been no attempt to suggest that the Open-EZ design is different than that of a Long-EZ. In fact, the benefit is that the Open-EZ is the exact same design as the Long-EZ.

Well, perhaps honest is not quite the right word, as I in no way am trying to imply there is anything dishonest about Open-EZ. Accurate might be better, but......

Ok now I have a head ache:confused: .

I think for now I will just build my Open-Long-EZ and worry about these details until later. I cant wait to finish my first part!:)