Making the tanks seal the first time

Neverquit

Okay, I have the bottom strakes on and the bulkheads attached with flox on my Cozy. So far so good. Made to "Top Hat" or "T Top" 2 inch BID pieces last night and they're now curing on the plane (Cozy newsletter #67, Oct. 1999).

Next step is to put the BID tapes on all joints. Now here's the question....

1. Should I line the entire area once more with BID including one more layer to the top to be sure of a good all around sound structure? I've heard of some strake tops being a bit flexible when people sit on them. Also it seems one layer of BID is too thin considering the cut lines at the leading edge curve.

2. If I do no. 1 should I put it on the top, let it jell up so I can turn it upside down and put it over the top wet so I get a better bond?

3. I purchased Jeffco to "paint" the inside of the tank. If so, should I proceed with 1 and/or 2 first?

4. If the extra BID is not needed then shall I put on one good wet coat of epoxy, peel ply, after cure, put on the Jeffco or forget the foirst coat of epoxy?

By the way, thanks to your trial and errors before me. Thanks to Jerry Schneider for the visuals and tips. Thanks to Wayne Hicks for the other stuff.

Looks like you got some good feedback from the COZY mailing list:

• A few mentioned "just do what the plans say".
  • A few mentioned to use carbon on the strake tops where you climb in, and also to consider H100 foam instead of the plans foam.
I'm sure you'll do fine...

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Looks like you got some good feedback from the COZY mailing list

Tis' true but slow responses. I'm hoping it's because every is tire from Sun n Fun. : )

I guess the jury's still out for that top strake stiffness issue. As many answers as there are ideas.

• Carbon fiber out of the question, too expensive, tough to find
  • Stiffer foam still not proven and nobody wants to say which foam to use. Some will not bond well to fiberglass and epoxy.
I'm going to try a real heavy mesh biaxial fiberglass on the top. Both sides so the plane doesn't list while flying. : )) (edited)