What was it?

Saw a canard yesterday and wondered if anybody could make a guess as to what it might have been. It was up pretty high but here's what I saw. Basically, it resembled a Starship in looks and size. (you don't suppose I got really lucky do you :D :D :D ) It was a white, twenty or so passenger, twin engine pusher, canard aircraft. Sounded like a turboprop to me. It had propellers anyway. So anyway, what's up there like that these days?

There's an Avanti that flies in and out of APF (Naples, FL) pretty regularly. I happen to live under approach / departure corridor for one of the runways ... there's no doubt when he's coming or going ... a sound like no other! Pretty pretty plane.

• 4 weeks later...

I was working in my home office this weekend when I heard the most unusual airplane sound flying over head. I scanned the skies out the window for what it could be, then, blazing straight over my house was a Piaggio Avanti. I followed it out to the distance when I finally exhaled. Always a treat!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I love the Avanti too. Great looking and performing airplane. Here's a couple of videos for your enjoyment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYNi8bNrNVc

http://tinyurl.com/2tczh2

The second video of an Italian Air Force P180 flying a demo at an airshow.

Rick Pellicciotti

Belle Aire Aviation, Inc.

http://www.belleaireaviation.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hay everyone.

If anyone dont know I work at the FBO in Fort Smith Arkansas. I have to disagreee on the looks of the piaggio. I personaly think they are ugly deformed aircraft. One that you need almost a AMP rating to add a quart of oil, (seriusly there is so much involved we only let the mechanics do it. I really wish the Starships would go back into production, When they where flying We had one based with us for a couple years. I pulled it out and fueled it just about everyday. I helped the pilot do the nasty,( the nasty is cleaning all the soot off the carbon fiber blades) I once even got to fly in it. That was a real treat. Ther is still one for sure possibly two starships still flying. It still comes into fort smith now and again. Keep your eyes to the sky and if you ever get to see a starship up close you will change your apinion on the piaggio.

sorry for my bad spelling

Lynn

I was within touching distance of this beautiful airplane. This is my father (hat with many pins and camera around his neck) talking to the owner/pilot about the Collins Pro Line avionics he helped build (he was a test equipment manager at Collins before he retired).

It's heartbreaking to think of the fate of the rest of the fleet.

post-445-141090155286_thumb.jpg

Don't hold your breath on the Starship coming back. The stories I heard about the unfortunate end of that plane (from un-named sources at Scaled) indicate that the plane was killed with malice and prejudice by one or more people who gained power within Raytheon/Beech at the time. The destruction of the prototype happened on the ramp right in front of Scaled's main building. It was destroyed by two monkeys that were hired by Raytheon to do the job.

-- Len

-- Len Evansic, Cozy Mk. IV Plans #1283

Do you need a Flightline Chair, or other embroidered aviation accessory?

Keep your eyes to the sky and if you ever get to see a starship up close you will change your apinion on the piaggio.

Of this I have no doubt.

Sorry guys, but I've seen a Starship up close and still remain impressed and fascinated by the Piaggio's design.

Ha! Maybe my point is that I like the Piaggio well enough that I'd "take it"!

I'd also be interested in its handling qualities -- if they were a hybrid of a traditional AND canard design, that wouldn't be a bad thing for some people.

Somebody... go design, build, test, and sell plans for a Piaggio-like homebuilt! ;)