Upper LG bulkhead mounting issue

Jon Matcho

I see now what happens when your diagonal LWX stringer is not long enough -- it doesn't come up to the top of the forward LG bulkhead's top edge.

Posted Image

The plans have you fit the upper LG bulkhead flush to the inside of the stringer, but it happens to fit perfectly above the stringer, mating perfectly with the top edge of the bulkhead. Given that I want to keep the height of my forward LG bulkhead per plans (fitting the landing gear in there as-is is a challenge), I am planning to install the upper LG bulkhead above the stringer.

Any issues with this approach?

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I've been studying drawing M-9, and in the drawing, the forward lower LG bulkhead doesn't quite reach to the upper surface of the stringer. Since the upper LG bulkhead has to be cut at an angle, that makes it overhang the lower bulkhead UNLESS you cut off the "point" flat - and that should make it even with the stringer. If you look closely at M-9, I think you'll see what I mean. The sharp angle at the front of the upper bulkhead is cut flat so that it doesn't overhang.

My upper LG bulkhead is not wide enough to sit on top of the stringer - it fits inside the stringer. But IIRC you widened your plane, so maybe that's the reason yours is wide enough to sit on top? In any case, I'd stick with the plans and make it fit inside the stringers, lest we cause a problem down the road. My 2-cents. :)

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

I've been studying drawing M-9, and in the drawing, the forward lower LG bulkhead doesn't quite reach to the upper surface of the stringer.

Right, but in my case the upper edge of the forward bulkhead is above the surface of the stringer. I do not want to cut it down.

My upper LG bulkhead is not wide enough to sit on top of the stringer - it fits inside the stringer.

Mine isn't either. I would need to widen it.

In any case, I'd stick with the plans and make it fit inside the stringers...

I would agree w/you IF my stringer met the lower longeron about 0.5" more forward than it is now.

...lest we cause a problem down the road.

That's why I'm asking. What's the problem in this case? The net result of what I am proposing will result in the same dimensions as a perfectly built rear. The only issues are then structural, which I see no cause for concern. In fact, I feel this is an easier method than the plans approach (assuming you make your diagonal stringer short as I did).

My 2-cents. :)

Appreciated!

I've been getting some feedback via e-mail on this. Here's an attempt to more clearly describe the cause of the problem:

I mounted the diagonal LWX stringers so that where they are to meet with the lower longerons turns out to NOT be forward enough. As a result the stringers are lower than the top edge of the forward landing gear bulkhead.

Also, I already cut the bulkhead in half (that's how you're seeing it in the previous/1st picture), as I am planning to adjust the size so that it sits on top of LWx:

Posted Image