Megasquirt EFI. Ever used in aviation?

BigMouse

I've been researching Megasquirt of use in my car for a while now. It's a DIY programmable electronic fuel injection computer.

http://www.megasquirt.info/

I was thinking it would be a good choice for auto engine conversion used in aircraft. It's even cheap enough to have two of them for redundant systems. They can even be used to control spark.

They can even be ordered pre-built/tested here: http://www.rs-autosport.net/catalog/

The only problem I can see is that they use an Oxygen sensor. Obviously, o2 sensors are not compatible with leaded av-gas. I'm sure they could be programmed to run fine off only a MAP input. Maybe even substitute the 02 sensor for an EGT probe or simply a mixture control knob.

Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge of this or some other stand-alone EFI system in use in experimental aviation?

Airframe/Powerplant mechanic, Engineer wannabe.

I am not sure if there are any flying yet, but there are a few people planning it.

They can be used without an EGO sensor and based on MAP only. They can also be built with EGT probes. The options are almost endless. I have one built fo rmy brothers car and plan to put one in my car also. One day I might one for the Cozy, not sure yet.

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

I think most people believe the Megasquirt is really only for the experts as far as aviation goes. Since I do not want to misquote people I will advise to you to search the archives here and at CanardAviation.com.

The concerns are that Megasquirt is just fine in street applications. However, because there are so many changes in this product, the somewhat limited support, and some pretty good alternatives the advice has been to avoid this in aviation applications.

Nathan Gifford

Tickfaw, LA USA

Cozy Mk IV Plans Set 1330

Better still --> Now at CH 9

I think most people believe the Megasquirt is really only for the experts as far as aviation goes. Since I do not want to misquote people I will advise to you to search the archives here and at CanardAviation.com.

The concerns are that Megasquirt is just fine in street applications. However, because there are so many changes in this product, the somewhat limited support, and some pretty good alternatives the advice has been to avoid this in aviation applications.

Nathan, I agree somewhat with what you have said, however a quick 'rebutal'. The MS is a very DIY thing. There is technically NO support, except other users. I am a programmer and electrical engineer so this is my field. I wouldn't suggest the average person even uses one in a car. These are for techincally minded people only.

However, if you are confident and have the skills to use one in a car, then I see no reason you wouldn't use one in an aircraft.

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

...MS is a very DIY thing...if you are confident and have the skills to use one in a car, then I see no reason you wouldn't use one in an aircraft...

The DIY thing is a pretty big deal. Even if you you have the skills to use one in a car, that really on equates to getting the engine to run as well as it does in car. Aircraft are different birds since reliability is paramount.

There are several guys (and maybe some gals) posts that would be good to review. RV6guy is one for sure.

One of the important issues to review on MS is consistent testing. The fact that they are used in hotrods certainly speaks well of their performance, properly configured. However, since components may change and there is little, if any, testing it would be very easy for a tempermental unit to be installed. That would be a bummer on twin, worse on an SE.

I would strongly recommend talking to aviation types over the issues affecting MS use in aircraft use (I believe it has been done). No one wants you project to fail ever, since it affects the rest of us too.

Nathan Gifford

Tickfaw, LA USA

Cozy Mk IV Plans Set 1330

Better still --> Now at CH 9

• 2 months later...