Initial Straigt Template Cuts

spitzy

CHP 10 Figure 5 instructs us to cut a foam block to dimensions that don't allow for any excess foam around the A and B templates. Seems I'm going to throw away perfectly good foam that could have been used in the part prior to cutting out the airfoils.

I've got just about the same width as my cutting wire if not a little less on the leading edge.

Is there a reason why we are instructed to do this?

Is it ok to move the templates aft past the trailing edge mark to allow for a little more error on the leading edge?

Nat tried hard to cut costs by using the least amount of blue foam that he could. Yep, the templates barely fit. But it does work. Try it before you throw the foam away.

About the leading edge. I believe the canard templates have a little tab that extends forward of the rest of the template airfoil. These tabs extend forward of the foam blocks as a resting place for the hotwire before actually cutting into the foam blocks. So to answer your question, the leading edge of the airfoil is what gets set flush with the leading edge of the foam block. The little tabs are supposed to extend forward. If you do that, then the template will fit within the block.

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks