AeroCanard SX Top?

jperryfly

I'm thinking of trading in my FG top for a SX top. It looks like it will have more side to side head room and more height also. Al says the same. It could be a bit more draggy. Anyone have any thoughts?

Long Ez, AeroCanard

I'm thinking of trading in my FG top for a SX top. It looks like it will have more side to side head room and more height also. Al says the same. It could be a bit more draggy. Anyone have any thoughts?

J,

I have an SX, however it is difficult for me to compare it to an FG since I have never sat in one.

However my observations, with the above disclaimer in mind are that ther is more room, especially head room in the SX. The major factor that convienced me to do the SX was the shape of the windscreen. Instead of being pointed, it is more like a lancair type. ( I think Buly has a similar windscreen). This shape gives more precieved room in the cockpit. I believe my wife of 40 years will be comfortable with this configuration whereas I don't think that she would even get in a plane with the standard configuration. Although she has in excess of 1000 hrs flying with me in the right seat (4 of those in a homebuilt) in any case it will be a passel of conviencing and knee abrading to get her into this one, The windscreen may be the magic button, however.

I'm not sure if the shape of the windscreen will create more drag since the frontal area is the same as the original (I may be talking out of my league here--- Marc rescue me)

The roof line is higher than the original (an other plus for me) and that may add drag.

One thing to be aware of is that the windscreen for the SX is difficult to form, cannot be done by Todd, and thus comes at a primium $wise. I should be picking mine up from AL the 13th of this month.:cool: :cool:

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

It could be a bit more draggy. Anyone have any thoughts?

It's hard to tell from the pictures on the AeroCad web site, but I don't think you'd notice much. The "draggy" part I'm concerned with is the fairing in the back, which the web site does mention that the turtleback is widened, so... maybe some more drag.

I'm not sure if the shape of the windscreen will create more drag since the frontal area is the same as the original (I may be talking out of my league here--- Marc rescue me)

A box and a sphere can have the same frontal area, but would have much different drag properties. It's more about the shape of the canopy -- ideally shaped like a teardrop on its side and cut halfways, transitioning smoothly to the turtleback, and tapering perfectly to the spinner.

One thing to be aware of is that the windscreen for the SX is difficult to form, cannot be done by Todd, and thus comes at a primium $wise.

Sounds like a "line" to me. Todd can blow anything you can take measurements for. The issue might be that Todd, like us, has no idea what the SX top's dimensions are.

The SX top looks good -- I'm looking to incorporate some of its features into my FG, particularly the Rutan-inspired windows. No reason you can't do those with any top.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Sounds like a "line" to me. Todd can blow anything you can take measurements for. The issue might be that Todd, like us, has no idea what the SX top's dimensions are.

Actually not true.

I personally spoke to him about this. I know that he is an excellent canopy maker and wish that he could have made mine but the geometry of the SX cannot be done by his approach. (that was a few months ago)

Todd claims that he cannot make the proper curvature. He suggested an alternate windshield which destroys the looks of the plane. The alternate windshield was offered to me, no cost, (not by todd) if I could modify the canopy frame, make it fit and document it. I declined the offer.

I should pick up my new windshield and the rest of the parts in one week.:D :D

Rich

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I also talked to Todd and of course he says he can't make it. However he will make the side windows for me at a big savings. I have a completed FG top with all glass in and Al is going to trade it for the SX top and I buy the glass. The folks in Calif that make the fancy W/S claim theirs doesn't stink and is made with "aviation glass". I'm a little tall and used to flying airplanes with bathrooms and kitchens so I like all the room I can afford. I do hate to redo the top though.

Long Ez, AeroCanard