Main Landing gear cover

John DiStefano

OK, here's what I did. I drilled the #21 holes into the aluminum slugs.. 15 out of 16 came out real nice. One needs repair, only about 1/2 the diameter of the drilled hole is in the slug.

But here is ther real issue. I read the directions wrong, followed them too literally w/out paying attention, I proceded to opening the slugs AND the gear cover with a # 11 drill bit.

So, now, of course the tap does absolutely nothing and the S50 screws just drop in. Not good.

So, how to fix.

A- Should I go with the next largest Diameter Machine screw? Which would be 1/4" X 28 I think.

B- Flox and re-tap the per the plans s50's

C-?

Thanks

JD

I definitely don't think B will do because you've drilled all the metal away that you need for threads, and flox alone (a screw-thread thick on metal) is not the best substance to give a 28-32 TPI screw something to bite into, IMO.

I vote for A, but injecting wet flox (or a metal-like epoxy instead???) to the surrounding area to fix what I think would result from drilling/tapping a hole that's now as wide as the plug you're drilling into. Is the attached picture an accurate representation of your issue (after you size up one diameter)? Or do the plans have you drill a hole completely through the plug?

Option C is to glass it shut at some point, and before it departs the airframe into the prop. :scared:

This is just my opinion -- please get more.

post-386-141090153638_thumb.gif

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Someone has a CAD program!! and too much free time.

That "complex" shape took all of 2 minutes to make... good practice. I guess that's the issue you're looking at then.

I saw the replies on the COZY list as well... I like Wayne's modification for this:

http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/waynehicks/chapter_09_5.htm

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

OK, here's what I did. I drilled the #21 holes into the aluminum slugs.. 15 out of 16 came out real nice. One needs repair, only about 1/2 the diameter of the drilled hole is in the slug.

But here is ther real issue. I read the directions wrong, followed them too literally w/out paying attention, I proceded to opening the slugs AND the gear cover with a # 11 drill bit.

So, now, of course the tap does absolutely nothing and the S50 screws just drop in. Not good.

So, how to fix.

JD

Jon,

If I were to do it I would use milled glass fiber. I believe flox won't flow enough to fill the hole uniformly. With milled glass and epoxy you can put a lot of fiber into the epoxy and it will still flow. After it cures tap it.

Carlos Fernandez

AeroCanard FG

Plans #206

Chp. 13

aerocanard.kal-soft.com

Sales & Support

GRT Avionics

I like the option to flox but would use milled fiberglass. You can put a lot of milled fiber in the epoxy and it will still flow easily it to the hole. You may want to use a toothpick to get any air out of the hole for a good fill.

My 2 cents...

Carlos Fernandez

AeroCanard FG

Plans #206

Chp. 13

aerocanard.kal-soft.com

Sales & Support

GRT Avionics