Speed Canard Autopilot?

Todd Sanderson

I need help finding out how I can legally install an autopilot in my SC. My flight manual has a approved operations section for an S-TEC 65 autopilot with operating limitations, etc; however, S-TEC has no knowledge of their autopilot being installed in the aircraft even though serial # 62 N202FW has a S-TEC 65 installed (mine is S # 60 N925TA.) S-TEC says they can only help if I can find a STC # for the aircraft. My avionics shop says a field approval for an autopilot would cost more than it is worth. Maybe someone from Europe could give some information to me that S-TEC could use to obtain an approval here in the States?

Thank You

• 3 weeks later...

I wrote to the gentleman in California that has serial 62 and have not heard back. I have also contacted m7 aerspace who owns # 61 and they will not respond with any information. S-TEC knows nothing about an install in any Speed Canard which is confusing to them since so many are flying with the S-TEC 65 system in Europe and there is even an approved supplement in my flight manual for the system. :irked:

I need help finding out how I can legally install an autopilot in my SC. My flight manual has a approved operations section for an S-TEC 65 autopilot with operating limitations, etc; however, S-TEC has no knowledge of their autopilot being installed in the aircraft even though serial # 62 N202FW has a S-TEC 65 installed (mine is S # 60 N925TA.) S-TEC says they can only help if I can find a STC # for the aircraft. My avionics shop says a field approval for an autopilot would cost more than it is worth. Maybe someone from Europe could give some information to me that S-TEC could use to obtain an approval here in the States?

Thank You

Todd,

Get all of the supporting documentation that you can. You probably will be able to get it done with a form 337 and understanding Fisdo and A&P. Your avionics shop may just not want to bother. Any A&P can do the install and fill the paperwork for the 337 (after the concept is approved by FAA.(I think).

On a certified aircraft, don't ask for forgiveness after you haven't asked for permission. It is possilble that they will ground you if you do. :scared:

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

Unfortunately, it is not feasible to go that route. To get a field approval for the autopilot to be used in IFR/VFR conditions it would require a long paperwork submission, detailed drawings and engineering data, the actual installation process and test flights with further paperwork submission and a possible FAA demonstration of the completed product before being signed off. This would probably cost $30,000 plus my time lost screwing around with the process. I really need to see the paperwork for S#62 from M7 Aerospace, but can't get them to call me back. I find it interesting that they filed for registration in 2003 and still do not have proper registration on file with the FAA for their plane. Also, per the FAA registry their airworthiness certificate does not show valid - could just be a typo though.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Todd,

I do have the autopilot installed in SN37. However, It is waiting some overseas paperwork before I can complete US registration to fly it. It already had all the field inspections, but it will be registered as experimental exhibition because the SN predates the Normal category certification.

You can certainly check it out however to see how it was installed.

Best Regards,

Pete