Turbine/ Jet powered Velocity

Bobcdn

I seen what I thought was a Velocity XL on TV a few years ago with a turbine that from a helicopter and the guy made a tail cone for it and used it to power his Velocity.

Does anyone have any info on this plane or know where I can find more info on it? I searched all over the internet and haven't found anything on it.

Thanks. Bob.

The aircraft that I think you are refering to is Greg Richter's ( sorry about the spelling Greg ) T-58 Engine powered Cozy MK IV. You can search for his name or Blue Mountain EFIS, as that is also his Company. The Engine came frmo a CH-46 Sea King as I remember it..... Its pretty sweet... I think there is another one as well but I am not sure, There was also a Rocket Powered Long-EZ , well I hope that helps, This Board and other Canard sites are the only ones that I try to check now that I am in the Desert......( its great lemme tell you.....) so Please, post away....its the only departure from the mundane habit/routine that I am forced into!!!! Hope everyone's build is going well, I am officially starting when I get back! Hopefully a full week off with the focus of building will give me enough time to get through Chp 4!!! Take care and hope that info above helps!!!!

-Jonathan

# 1052.....and soon to start.....Finally!

Kind of depends on what your goal is ... for most member here, I suspect the answer is an unqualified "no" ...

Jets ( as opposed to turbo props, which is a totally different animal ) fly very differently than props, suck gas like crazy, make lots of noise .. and that's before we even start talking about maintenance, unsupported installation, etc....

Not to be taken lightly.

• 2 weeks later...

You have to have met Greg Richter to understand why he did the jet Cozy. He did it because he could. The same reason he built his own bridge and hydro-electric power plant along with his own EFIS system (I have his EFIS1 and Lite - great package!) The jet Cozy is cool looking, smooth, and fast, but is 100% less efficient (especially with JetA now more than 100LL) and is yet not proven to be safe. Also, you need to fly high if you want any efficiency and if you live anywhere close to Chicago, New York, Atlanta, San Fransico, LA, etc. you will spend considerable time lower than you want waiting for a clearance to your requested altitude. I think it was a neat project and my hat is off to Greg, but if you want a plane you can fly any day of the week consistenly with a reasonable budget and safety margin - stick a high compression Lycoming under the cowl of your Cozy. Another neat option may be the DeltaHawk when they are 100% underway with consistency. Although, if you have alot of $ to burn - a jet Cozy or Velocity would sure be cool to sport around the airport :)

Thanks guys! They look great! I didn't see any mention of the cost for one of them turbines though? Anyone know what they are worth?

It varies. I think the T-58 turbine is around $50,000. The Solar T62 can be found around $3,500. I'm not sure about the Innodyne.

Nathan Gifford

Tickfaw, LA USA

Cozy Mk IV Plans Set 1330

Better still --> Now at CH 9

It varies. I think the T-58 turbine is around $50,000. The Solar T62 can be found around $3,500. I'm not sure about the Innodyne.

I don't know. The way Greg materializes pets, I'm sure he found a way to pay less than that for a turbine.

:D

-dave

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

• 10 months later...

*Sigh*

The website is ezjetinc.com

I videotaped the first flight of the cozyjet. It's owned by Greg richter of blue mountain avionics.

There are surplus ge t58's all over the place if you know where to look. You can get one cheap as a new overhauled o320.