Opinions on smooth prime

Call me stupid or whatever else comes to mind! I did the bottom of my fuselage with the Cory Bird method except I only used 3 coats of pure epoxy. I sanded this smooth and had a few pinholes. If I had put on 5 coats of epoxy I do not believe this would have happened. I already had 1 gallon of smooth prime on hand so I rolled it on. Smooth prime directions say to apply 3 coats, sand, apply 3 more coats and sand smooth. Since I already had a pretty smooth surface after the first sanding it looks really good! Now for the dumb question, and no I do not plan to use the smooth prime any more. There are some places where the smooth prime is sanded through. Since I will have to apply a 2 part epoxy primer anyway do I have to apply more smooth prime to cover the spots? I am trying to save weight here and if I had it to do over I would not have used smooth prime. I am not a painter as you can probably tell. Any opinions here will be appreciated.

David

..... Since I will have to apply a 2 part epoxy primer anyway do I have to apply more smooth prime to cover the spots?

Sand off as much of the SP as possible - you don't want it on your plane. If you're going to use an epoxy primer, you'll be fine, as it will encapsulate whatever SP is left.

See the COZY and canard-aviators mailing list archives for my opinions on SP and Top Gloss.