Plastic cups for mixing Epoxy

Don Woodward

Dear All

Can you use plastic cups for mixing Epoxy or is this a no no. I can get the plastic cups very cheep :D :feed: :dancbana: :dancbana: :dancbana:

I keep reading paper non wax cups are the go :confused::rolleyes:

Standard Cozy IV builder only 2 mods, because I want to get into the air fast. :) At CH7

You can use any cups that have absolutely no foreign substances on them. Waxed cups are no good because epoxy does not bond to the wax bits that get scraped off and mixed into your layup.

The other benefit of the paper cups is their geometry -- shallow and near cylindrical, allowing easy mixing with the tongue depressor sticks as well as avoiding exotherm. A deep cup will encourage exotherm.

You can use plastic cups -- just be certain that they have no residue of any sort. If they're drinking cups, I have to believe they're good to go, but not considering their shape and dimensions.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I have been using plastic cups routinely.....also, in the Velocity building video's they are used as well. So my answer is yes and they are MUCH easier to find than "no wax" paper cups.

I can't see how it would be much different than laying a plastic sheet over a layup such as the poor man vacuum bagging we have all discussed. If that does not contaminate the epoxy I don't think a plastic cup will. I like the little clear "cocktail" cups.

For really large micro applications I have been using the new plastic Folgers coffee cans....they even have handles built in. Since coffee is my "drug" of choice, we tend to have these cans around.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

I can't see how it would be much different than laying a plastic sheet over a layup such as the poor man vacuum bagging we have all discussed.

Good point. There's who-knows-what on that plastic.

For really large micro applications I have been using the new plastic Folgers coffee cans....they even have handles built in. Since coffee is my "drug" of choice, we tend to have these cans around.

Another good idea, but if Folgers is your dealer, you need to upgrade to the good sh*t. Posted Image Still, that is a good idea and I may have to score some Folgers handle-cans for a few weeks.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV