Seat Width

Spodman

At 196cm/115kg I'm rather big for a Cozy, but having tried out a real seatback (largest piece of a Cozy I've seen yet) and measured out the rest I reckon I'll fit. The rear seat seems a bit squeezy though. I've read Nat saying you can make the front seat an inch wider and put the seatback an inch further back and still call it a Cozy, but never anything about the rear seat. Is there anything I can do for my little Spodlings (ie. 185cm 13yo)?

I understand the Aerocanard Cozy-like experience has a wider & higher rear cabin. What complications & knock-on effects can I expect incorporating these changes? Do I need to draw up my own plans or can I fudge it from those supplied? How differently will the resulting aircraft handle?

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

If you're set on making the back seat wider, IMHO, you sould get a set of Aerocanard plans. They will give you the exact drawings for the firewall, landing gear bulkheads, turtleback, and aft end of fuelage. (You get more butt room in the back of an Aero Canard as well as shoulder room.)

For all of the thought-work envolved, it would be money well spent to keep from having to re-engineer things.

My 2c

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

Is the Aerocanard available in plans? I thought they just sold kits.

Mark Spedding - Spodman
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman

I have a call into AeroCad. Given that I own Cozy plans, I should be able to freely seek design enhancements for consideration during the course of my plane's construction.

I am only left with an uncertainty with regard to the content and scope of the AeroCanard plans. Can someone share specifics? Are some chapters essentially identical? Or, are the plans radically different, with different chapter numbers/purposes, etc?

I look forward to Jeff returning my call and will also give an update on what I find.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I have a call into AeroCad. Are some chapters essentially identical? Or, are the plans radically different, with different chapter numbers/purposes, etc?

We have AeroCad plans #14. The chapter layout is the same as Cozy and most parts are the same. There are a few dimension differences... some additional items.. Some of the errors corrected. The layout is nicer they way he puts it in a book. Some updates as well. Think of it as Cozy plans that hve been updated and cleaned up with a few modifications such as width in the back seat, headroom, retractable entry step.

Jeff is enjoyable to deal with.

Well, the concept of more back seat made me peruse the Aerocad site, and in it I found the following:

Type Rear width Kits

A/C-FG/RG 39.5" 16

A/C-SB 36" 16

MKIV 36" Plans Built

I'm reading that as you can get a kit-built with more back seat than the "MKIV", but what is the rear seat width on the proper Nat Puffer-type Cozy MKIV?

Mark Spedding - Spodman
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman

...what is the rear seat width on the proper Nat Puffer-type Cozy MKIV?

Mark, I believe the AeroCanard SB is nearly identical to the Cozy Mark IV (and thus some of the Co-Z vs. AeroCad issues), so the 36" may stand to be correct for the Cozy Mark IV back set width. Others will hopefully chime in here.

I believe that AeroCad did provide plans to make the back seat wider, but cannot confirm as of yet.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Mark, I believe the AeroCanard SB is nearly identical to the Cozy Mark IV (and thus some of the Co-Z vs. AeroCad issues), so the 36" may stand to be correct for the Cozy Mark IV back set width. Others will hopefully chime in here.

I believe that AeroCad did provide plans to make the back seat wider, but cannot confirm as of yet.

Check www.aerocad.com The website for the AeroCanard. The Features section give a complete side by side listing. The SB is 36" The FG / RG is 39" Yes, the SB seems to be the same as a Mark IV. All are contained in the plans.

Carl