AeroCad status?

Jon Matcho

Does anyone know the status of AeroCad and whether they're still selling parts and service?

Now that I am building, I was hoping to be able to consider some of their modifications for Cozy IV builders. I understand they had a "fuselage widening" plan adjustment.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time I talked to Jeff, he had gotten the company back and had a couple of techs putting together components in Naples FL.

If I remember right, he had some other aircraft building (related) "irons in the fire" and didn't have the AeroCanard part up to speed. The web site hasn't been updated for awhile, but he will return phone calls and I believe he is still taking orders and building parts...

An update might be a good thing..

Back to building... #618 Cozy MK IV

My Cozy web pages, courtesy: Rick Maddy... :cool: WN9G :rolleyes:

AeroCad is still alive and making parts. Jeff is still one of the very knowledgable people when it comes to canards. If you want to get the full advantage of the AeroCanard you should get the AeroCanard plans. That way you have really good updated plans and all of the premolded parts will fit. You can choose to build as much or as little as you want and have more room in the back seat as well. The kit parts really speed things up. I know, I built a Long Ez and now am building a kit built AeroCanard. Those moulded parts are wonderful! You still have plenty of things to build to make you feel creative. :cool:

Long Ez, AeroCanard

On Friday 5/7, I put a call into AeroCad to find out what options exist for using their add-on plans. Anxious to talk to someone, I called again this evening. I'm still waiting on a response.

It seems that there are a handful of people in the same boat as I am -- wanting to talk to Jeff and buy something, but nobody is home.

The optimist in me feels that if AeroCad approached ACS right now with the notion of settling their differences and becoming an approved vendor, that would be possible. Even now, I think Jeff should feel free in providing parts, service, and consulting to Cozy plans owners. For example, I have Cozy plans, and I am willing to pay a few hundred $ for flight-tested modifications (ie. AeroCanard plans).

These are just my opinions, worth only the paper they're written on.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, "no." I put in 2 phone calls and 1 e-mail to Jeff without a reply.

I have heard rumours that there are health problems close to the Russell family. With them being a small business, I can understand how this might impact day-to-day operations.

Regardless, right now, I think it's fair to say that the doors at AeroCad are closed for the time being. I maintain hope that all differences may be put aside and that AeroCad can be back in business someday.

Or... it is possible for another company to emerge, whereby they publish detailed plans for modifications to the Cozy IV plans? Or, better yet, an "open design" project develops where we, the community, contribute to a process that produces the same?

Food for thought, and let us leave this door open with AeroCad should Jeff and co. find the will to return.

I spoke with Jeff today, and can say that all rumours of him being a nice guy are entirely true. If you want to contact Jeff, his cell phone number is on the home page of the AeroCad Web site.

AeroCad, the company, is also not entirely in Jeff's hands right now, as is mentioned in the * New Updates * section of the AeroCad Web site.

I could relate to Jeff's side of the story, sensing a certain amount of unfairness to how he has been treated. I get the impression that Jeff has decided to take a low-key postion by not pressing any of the issues right now. He also seems hesitant (understandably so) to market the AeroCanard (for a variety of reasons, including the one mentioned above), yet has several items for sale.

I plan to send Jeff a check to cover costs for all his videos and a book of modifications and improvements to the Cozy MK IV (also known as 'AeroCanard plans'). Before anyone gets in a huff, including Nat and Aircraft Spruce, keep in mind that I have Cozy plans #1185, am building a Cozy (which I too will make some modifications), and am essentially buying somone else's "notes" on their modifications.

If I decide to send them more money to make a me a cowling or something, there shouldn't be anything wrong with that either.

To be continued...

Jon why don't you build to the AeroCanard plans? You'll have more room in the back seat and you will be able to use any of the moulded parts should you chose. I have the plans, it's a no brainer to me. You can get all the support you need from Jeff or here. It's a big project leave yourself an out to speed things up. I made a post to this effect last night, somehow it didn't get on the forum.

Long Ez, AeroCanard

Jon why don't you build to the AeroCanard plans?

John, "sshhh, do you want to get us kicked out of here?" ;)

Let me just say that for now I will be looking at the AeroCanard plans very closely. :rolleyes:

I made a post to this effect last night, somehow it didn't get on the forum.

It pains me to read things like this, but I don't think the forum software is defective. Can we blame it on sun spots? :)

• 3 weeks later...

I received AeroCanard plans and the full set of video tapes from AeroCad yesterday. I skimmed through the plans and found them as I expected, give or take.

I watched a bit of the first tape and was amazed to see a big U-shaped fuselage, obviously out of a mold. I guess I never realized that was what the AeroCanard Kit consisted of. From what I understand, all parts with the exception of the landing gear are available.

For the short term at least, I expect to be Cozy-centric but will be reading the AeroCanard plans step-for-step with the Cozy plans.

Jon,

Jeff & Greg Russell have great products. If your wallet allows, you can save 3-4 years off your build time... safely. Or, buy what little you can afford, (as I did) and save proportionally. I for one, hope they don't leave the parts business.

The videos will be a great asset to your build/enjoyment.

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

• 4 weeks later...

The following was posted by Jeff Russell on the COZY mail list:

Dear builders,

Under the current circumstances, I am going to sell AeroCad’s molds to the highest offer. The current location of the molds and raw material are down in Naples Florida. Parts are still being made as we speak at that location. The current location will no longer be available after July 15, 2004 and I do not want to personally move it again. I am very busy in real estate and the building industry and would rather help someone get a foot in an aviation business at a low cost to them. This will be a cash deal only and starting offers are at $48K. That price is less than most kit airplane with engine. I have no problem working with multiple people if you guys want to do this as a club. I have a full list of molds and material and 3 sets of videos and instructions that show how to make the parts. Any inquirers please use my cell phone # 772-370-2638 or aerocad@att.net

Best Regards,

--

Jeff Russell

137 Parliament Court. Ft. Pierce,

FL 34949 #772-370-2638 cell

Thoughts anyone?

This timing is interesting, as I just decided to build my landing gear bulkheads and rear firewall per AeroCanard FG plans. From what I understand from reading the archives, I'm now supposed to call my plane an AeroCanard. I don't want to do that, so maybe I'll make another major mod and create an entirely new name for it... let's see, these are taken:

• Limo EZ
  • Stagger EZ
  • King Kozy
I'll likely still call it a Cozy, but don't tell Nat. :D

Is there a difference between Aero and Cozy plans in this area. If there is, I'd bet it's a minor one/two.

While sitting around Jeff's display at SNF one year, we were ruminating as to other names. One that came up was "AeroBastard" (Pronounce the Bastard like Canard. :D )

Seriously though, all anybody can do is ASK you to call it somthing else. Call it whatever you want.

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

Is there a difference between Aero and Cozy plans in this area.

The difference widens the back by a full 7", moving the longerons out, which is enough of a change for Nat to want the plane NOT to be called a Cozy (based on what I read in the Cozy Mail List archives).

However, considering the entire set of plans, the AeroCanard plans are essentially Cozy plans (AeroCanard SB) with an AeroCanard FG option written in here and there. I never understood, and now completely don't, what motivated Jeff to put "New (lower cost) re-formatted "Cozy MKIV plans are now offered for sale by AeroCad" on his Web site.

Jerry, I'm still waiting for you and the Florida crew to take over the AeroCad business. How's that coming? ;) Seriously, I hope "starting offers are at $48K" means that the builders that have been making parts intend to take it over. Time will tell us the answer...

The difference widens the back by a full 7", moving the longerons out...

Looking at the AeroCad back seat dimensions here, and after speaking w/Jeff, I'm off on this 7" figure. I'll measure and post the correct dimension when I can.

The AeroCanard plans are adding a total of 5 1/4" to the total width of the landing gear bulkheads to the upper longerons as far as I can tell. Not sure where the 3.5" of increased rear seat width comes from. It seems it should be closer to 5" to me.

Any AeroCanard builders out there who can confirm this? I'm waiting on a mail back from Jeff.

Jeff confirmed that 5.25" is being added to the width of the landing gear bulkheads. I still don't know why this only results in 3.5" of rear seat space being added.

Can anyone elaborate on the legal issues that were faced by AeroCad? I have contacted Mr. Russell vis email, as myself and a potential partner are interested in the purchase of the tooling.

Thanks,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I am just back from Airventure 2004...had a great first trip up there other than being flooded out of my tent Sunday morning at 3:00 am.

I have a great interest in the Aero Canard but have some hesitation in ordering plans with all of the termoil in that company. I know that the Cozy Girls are building an Aero Canard as well as others. The Aero Canard, or what ever we are calling it, is a better fit for the family without a big hit in performance. I wanted to know if you have any kind of idea whether plans are still for sale or not from AeroCAD.

I am also looking for performance differences. We beleive we will be putting a Rotary 13B in it, turboed, and making it a retract. Do you know of anyone that may have some helpful information. I found only one flying AeroCanard in the mix at Oshkosh. I have the tail number on film and may attempt contact with the owner once the film is developed. Ya, I know I need a digital.

Another question is whether you know of anyone that has taken the Cozy Mark IV plans and widened the cabin by 2-4 inches or more.

Thanks for your help

:cool:

I am just back from Airventure 2004...had a great first trip up there other than being flooded out of my tent Sunday morning at 3:00 am.

Welcome home! Rise and shine! ;)

I have a great interest in the Aero Canard but have some hesitation in ordering plans with all of the termoil in that company.

As long as you have Cozy Mark IV plans in addition to the AeroCanard plans, you don't have much to worry about. The AeroCanard plans are 99.9% the same, except for the widened back seat and turtleback.

I know that the Cozy Girls are building an Aero Canard as well as others.

Legally (for lack of a better word), I am also building an AeroCanard. Technically, I consider myself to be building a Cozy Mark IV with modifications published by AeroCad 2 LLC.

The Aero Canard, or what ever we are calling it, is a better fit for the family without a big hit in performance.

The AeroCanard widens the back by ~5 inches, and might allow 2 kids in the back that are bigger and older than 2 kids in the back of a Cozy Mark IV. Then again, I sat in the back of a per-plans Cozy IV for a good 1+ hours without much difficulty. I'm 5'9" 165lbs.

I wanted to know if you have any kind of idea whether plans are still for sale or not from AeroCAD.

I would think so. I ordered mine from them about 3 months ago. You need to be persistent, but call the number on the Web page, and leave a message that you want to buy plans. As a Cozy plans holder, Jeff will give you 50% off his list, which amounts to $242.50 for the "Cozy Mark IV modifications by AeroCad".

I am also looking for performance differences. We beleive we will be putting a Rotary 13B in it, turboed, and making it a retract. Do you know of anyone that may have some helpful information.

I believe the Cozy Girrrls are doing that. However, my opinion is that retracts in a Cozy do not amount to "family friendly". I think you'll end up sacrificing a lot there for the gains you intend.

Another question is whether you know of anyone that has taken the Cozy Mark IV plans and widened the cabin by 2-4 inches or more.

Some have -- try searching the archives at www.cozybuilders.org. There are also bunch of guys looking talking about a "Wide EZ" at the other canard forum which you may want to check (but be sure to come back! :) ). They're in the conceptual stage, but are looking to share ideas among a number of builders. They may or may not get that far... so take care before jumping in with them.

Thanks Joe,

Taking a look at some of the other forums on other sites I found a few inventive folks out there. One of which is adding about 6" in width to the cozy. WOW! I think with all of the discussions I have seen and a short email with Jeff Russell, I will be building an Aero Canard.

One big question is whether I actually need two sets of plans and the added expense. I saw a post that said Jeff would discount the plans if you already owned Cozy Plans, but do I really need cozy plans if the AeroCanard RG is what I really want to build?? :confused:

See You At Rough River

Taking a look at some of the other forums on other sites I found a few inventive folks out there. One of which is adding about 6" in width to the cozy.

I believe you're referring to this discussion, which I have been following as well.

WOW!

Or "yikes!" There's a lot involved with committing to such a design, such as picking the test pilot for example.

...I will be building an Aero Canard.

In actuality, you want to be building a Cozy with modifications published by AeroCad. Check my home page for how I refer to this predicament.

One big question is whether I actually need two sets of plans and the added expense. I saw a post that said Jeff would discount the plans if you already owned Cozy Plans...

I HIGHLY recommend it. You want to base yourself in the Cozy Mark IV, and consider the AeroCanard plans modifications. They're 95% identical, with the Cozy Mark IV plans being most up-to-date in all areas other than the actual modifications (5% of the whole picture).

...do I really need cozy plans if the AeroCanard RG is what I really want to build?? :confused:

My understanding is that the RG is NOT plans built, and is a kit.

AeroCanard SB = 100% Cozy Mark IV plans (first edition)

AeroCanard FG = Cozy Mark IV plans (first edition), with widened back mods

AeroCanard RG = kit only???

I'll check my AeroCanard plans tonight, but I believe the SB & FG are only included in the plans.

Answering your question, if you want to build a Cozy Mark IV @ plans (first edition, instead of third), then "no", you do not need to purchase Cozy Mark IV plans. Personally, I want every revision ever published by Nat Puffer. Nat also has several newsletters left in him, which you would not have access to.

Assuming your total investment will be in the neighborhood of $50K (see Costs section here), what's another $500?

See You At Rough River

Great, looking forward!

Thanks Joe

You got it Waldo. :)