Canard cover lip

Paul Kuntz

I'm working on my canopy and trying to plan ahead for the lip that will cover the joint between the canard cover and the forward edge of the canopy deck at bulkhead F28. The lip will ultimately be joined either to the canopy deck or to the canard cover. The geometry of the joint seems to require that the lip be part of the canard cover in order to be able to slide the canard back onto the lift tabs when installing the canard. On the other hand, this will make the lip point to the rear of the aircraft, so when parked nose down the rain will tend to run under the lip and get inside the nose. Now if I put the lip on the canopy deck, extending forward over the canard cover, the rain will be encouraged to run off, but it might prevent sliding the canard onto the lift tabs, since the front of the lip would slope downward.

The plans just say to make the lip, and don't clarify which way it points. I'm sure the joint will be sealed with tape any time the canard is mounted, so perhaps the rain issue is moot, but what have the rest of you done? Am I missing something?

Regards,

Paul Kuntz

Cozy MKIV

England

Dear Paul:

I thought I had the answer for you -- "all lips face forward." But if I look at Chapter 24, page 3, Figure 16 seems to indicate that the F28 lip is on the aft edge of the canard cover. (re: "Sand depression here for lip installed later.")

But if I recall correctly, the F28 lip is epoxied onto the front edge of the removable canopy deck. It extends forward over the depression on the aft edge of the canard cover. The F28 lip is not very wide, and it can be adjusted in width to accommodate removing and installing the canard. I've taken a look at SNF and OSH pictures and I surely think that all lips face forward. :-)

...Wayne Hicks

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

OK, I see that the per-plans removable top panel on the front fuselage permits a forward-projecting lip, because if necessary you can remove the top panel when installing and removing the canard. My challenge is caused by the forward-tilting canopy installation, which leaves the first couple of inches of the fuselage top permanently in place just aft of bulkhead F28. So, I think I'm stuck with putting an aft-pointing lip on the canard cover. I'll check Dave Domeier to see how he handled it.

Thanks,

Paul Kuntz

Cozy MKIV

England