cost of mid time lycoming

dust

asked dave at wentworth today

lycomings

midtime carburated 12,000's

mid time fuel injected 14,000's

mid time continental, he he he 7,000's

i believe this comes with the starters/alternators vac pump, injection system etc

They also come with logs and a gaurentee, ask them for details

you know for the "other" person on this forum not going rotary or VW diesel

enjoy the build

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

• 8 months later...

...mid time continental, he he he 7,000's

i believe this comes with the starters/alternators vac pump, injection system etc

OK, so I'm new and confused. Is there something wrong with the Continental engines, or are they a particularly good value? Why is there such a discrepancy in prices between the Continental and Lycoming engines?

I'm still looking between cert. engines and auto-conversions, and just don't have enough context when it comes to certified engines. I've gathered that an O-360 is a 360 cid. 180 hp. engine, and that an IO has injection, a TIO has a turbo and fuel injection, and both are more expensive than the "O" engine. All of the suffix (A1B2...) codes go right over my head.

-- Len

-- Len Evansic, Cozy Mk. IV Plans #1283

Do you need a Flightline Chair, or other embroidered aviation accessory?

Here's a site that puts it in simple term:

180hp Lycoming - 4 jugs, less to replace or maintain, lighter

180hp Continental - 6 jugs, more reliable (or not), heavier

http://users.adelphia.net/~aeroengine/Chron4S2.html

Most guys go with the Lyco because it's less weight (and the plans cowl fits better :D ).

For GA applications, both are good and bad depending on the year and type. I know Continental had both a bottom or top oil resivoir, such as the bad rap on the early Cessna 210 (and the main gear thing).

Here's a quote for some argumentative firepower for all you rotary heads :bad: :

Continentals: Cylinders crack, barrels crack, sparkplug holes crack, exhaust port at valve guides crack. Cranks crack and counterweights come apart. Light cases crack. Starters can be a nightmare.

Lycomings: Eat up exhaust valves, piston pin plugs come apart, valve lifters are horrid, camshafts are the luck of the draw, rocker arm support bosses crack thru fall off, cases leak like a British car. Pushrods bend. Oh and then there are the light flange cranks and light cylinders. Klinkers can turn off all the fire in the cylinders quick.

I have seen both makes of engines go to TBO spotless, and others not make it half way with a Top Overhaul to help.......Why........ the OPERATOR and MAINTENANCE. (oops! I did not mean to yell so loud )

http://rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/lycvcont.html

.....Most guys go with the Lyco because it's less weight (and the plans cowl fits better.....

Most? There are 100's of flying COZY's - there are zero with continentals. There is only ONE COZY being built with a continental that I know of. When/if that one flies, then the number will be 1, still not the inverse of "most" :-).

There are 100's of flying COZY's - there are zero with continentals.

Looking at the CSA membership list, there are a handful of Continental 85s and 90s on VariEzes and Long-EZs, but as Marc said, not a one on a Cozy of any sort.

It was interesting to see that the number of Mazda rotaries and Subaru conversions each compare with the number of Continentals.

Other engine choices noted were Jabiru 3300, Rotax 914, Ford V8, Chevy V6, Onan, and Revmaster.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Let me reiterate "most guys" meaning all experimentals and including Cozy flyers. No percentage of "most" is focused primarily on the Cozy. There are a lot of Continentals in other experimental aircraft. Who knows, with all those mods going on in the non-flying world, there may be more than one being built as we speak. Don't knock it until you fly, er die - er try it.