nothing fancing, just plane day

I would like to take this moment to thank todays slaves

Tom neighbor

erric from forum

gerg from brother of forum

don from bs

Mike from forum

these 5 + the 3 of us had a great plane day. buy three thirty today we worked 30 hours, what hard work, these slaves do a bettet job than the damn masters

open your shops, advertise and the world is better

enjoy the build

mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

plane day a week later

tom retired engine eng, neighbor

brad nephew from fla

Tom friend of slave/new builder, taking flying lessons and learned of us last week

Mike Slave and new builder

Only 6 this week as clifford took an unapproved vacation day to califorinia, and i had took cook

enjoy cooking, but I cannot measure up to his standards, no scratch soup like cliffords, but plenty of good food, or do i was told.

I think i figured out why our partnership has worked for 5/12 years, and it's against commen sence.

We don't keep track time. no one can look at a schedule and say, i'm ahead on hours and don't have to go this week.

you go and make plane parts, you just go and enjoy the work and the people.

Ifin you partner up, make a reasonable commitment and then don't worry about it.

enjoy the build

Mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

Mike Slave and new builder,furom

Drew slave and new builder, forum

dust

thane

dave

Had a great night and day at plane day, drew drove in friday night, takled cozy til 3 am, didn't waye up for thane and he had to wait, first time that hapenned, he he he

split up into three groups

group 1 dave, lonly making metal parts

group 2 Thane and mike leveled fus #2 and installed spar and then helped with layups

group 3 dust and drew played squeeze the foam, it appears we don't have enough for fuel tanks ribs on plane # 2. glued bits and pieces together and accumulated enough for all ribs for tank 1 and some for tank 2, even though some are 5 minuited scrapes, they will work just fine.

Drew is now an expert in filling pores with thin micro, five minuiting together 3/8 foam and doing a "wet" layup, as all of them that we do on the inside of the tank are purposefully left wet, to prevent leaks.

Drew, do i make enough dust to be called that?

On reviewing the progress we made i think the five of us achieved the work of 4.8 people, and I was the slacker!!!

enjoy the build

Dust

i can be reached at

I got to make Plane Parts!!! Does that make me a builder even if it's not my plane? :)

Wow, what a weekend!

I don't think I have had more fun this past weekend talking about airplane since Oshkosh. And Dust is right we sat up and talked from 10 to nearly 3am. What a blast!!! Next time I go up my wife is going to go shopping is Dust's wife. :eek: Dust and his wife are incredibly welcoming and made me feel right at home.

Anyways, I wanted to post some thoughts on plane day. Plane day is absolutely the best way to build confidence before starting. At one point there was three of us working the layout of strake ribs, while Dust kept up supplied with fiberglass and peel ply. It was just a bunch of great guys making plane parts.

I do have to say I came away with more tips and tricks than I expect. Dust's router and template method of cutting parts is incredible.

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

Notice the two pieces of angled bid fiberglass. These are the strakes flange that was used. I think this is a great idea!

Read more on this thread:

http://www.canardzone.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=698&highlight=strake

post-336-141090152287_thumb.jpg

---

---

Brace for impact...

those in attendence

mike forum and builder/graduate

well, slader it's your fault we had to redo the spar attaching today, you posted that you took a step backward and the gods of cozy building made us take one too.

Actually it is robin and cliffords fault, they did not allow us to follow the directions clearly stated in the plans. For those of you who don't know the directions on setting the spar into the fuselodge, nat clearly states that you must TIE up the dog, well, they won't let me bring the dog to plane day and we had no dog to tie up, hence the spar moved during the week and we had to cut the right side loose, a real fun job, and reset it.

So, a warning to all those building, get a dog before you do this, you have to follow the directions, all of them or the plane doesn't work. And note, it doesn't say puppy, it says dog, so that if you don't have one now and don't feel you can borrow one when the time comes, for gods sake go get a puppy now so that you are prepared.

Other than that, mike mplafleur is now a graduate, he has done it all now and i am going to form a branding iron this week for use at the slave graduation program and we will formally brand him a "master".

enjoy the build

Dust

i can be reached at

Dust, I think your dog would have been more happy if you would have followed the plans as well. :)

Since I actually got to see the the finished install last week. How did it move? Bondo coming loose is the only thing I can figure.

---

---

Brace for impact...

>How did it move?

Must be the aircraft building gremlins. They hang out in Virginia (at Waynes hangar) a lot, but are usually vacationing in Florida this time of year. If they're in a bad mood (often when cold) they move stuff to the wrong position during the overnight cure. When they're happy (when warm) they fix things you screwed up. Be nice to the gremlins. Keep the shop warm and leave them milk and cookies and they'll be nice to you.:D

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

Well, plane day started out slow, only the three of us decided to show up. Dave started working on controlls and thane and i check the spar, perfect this time, and started sanding to attach all of the spar taped and the top skins on plane 1.

after lunch

mike forum and plane builder

Tom neighbor and soon to be plane builder

showed up and things got hoppin. Tom and Thane stayed in the garage and mike and i layed up tapes and mixed thick micro and epoxy to keep them tapin and then we layed up both sides of the rest of plane #2's ribs, only 8 were left to do. It looks like mike and tom may partner on two planes, life is good. Mike also finally got to do normal layups, not the wet ones that we use on the tank structure.

Even though 2 came after lunch, one did eat though, you HAVE to treat slaves, i mean helpers right, i would estimate we did the work of 5 man days.

enjoy the build

dust

i can be reached at

geeeze another slow start, only two of the three builders showed, so dave went on with installing the flight controlls and i sanded the spar attach tapes, only thousands of swords waiting to rip and stab you at the slightest brush with them.

After about an hour of this

mike forum and plane builder

showed up and we went to the basement and started cutting up all of the ribs for the next two tanks, how does it take so long, we have templets for all of the complex shapes and it still took all day to cut the 16 templets, They sure looked good sitting there ready to be final fited in the tanks.

enjoy the build

dust

i can be reached at

Dust,

Are those the parts that I got to help make? :):D

I was thinking about your template & router method of cutting parts out. What do you place under the part when cutting? I'm assuming the router bits are set deeper than the piece being cut.

Thanks

---

---

Brace for impact...

mmm... I've already made plans to help take some of the kids from church down to Wright Patterson (I'm included in the big kid count).

I may very possiblely be able to come up next weekend. I'll let you know.

Woopeee... I get to make more plane parts!!!!

---

---

Brace for impact...

Well, this week we had to initiate a new slave, i mean helper, he found me on the http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com forum and quickly emailed me to come and hold a corner while we worked, no corner holdin allowed, he worked.

The mornoing went slowly, put the right wing on plane two and as soon as we let go of it, the nose broke loose of the front saw horse, we had attached the rear saw horse too far forward and the weight of the wing, the weight of the battery and 40 lbs of salt on the other side of the spar broke the front loose and the plane did a small wheele, so we added 40 lbs of nose ballast, bondoed a 2x4 under the tail and all is good. by lunch all we had accomplished was mixing allot of bondo and reattaching the plane to the floor and the strake table to the plane.

After lunch we started to hit out stride, one additional helper/slave showed and a graduated slave/now a builder walked in.

We already have all of the foam rough cut for these tqwo strakes, finish fit the bottom foam in place and mike, mike and tom went to the shop to lay up the inside bottom strake.

While they did that, thane and i finished up the top outside strake on plane one and started up the layup.

what do you know, with all of the help, we actually got done what i hoped to today, bottom inside glass and top of a strake

enjoy the build

dust, also a mike, had a 50% ratios of mike's today

i can be reached at

I had fun out there.

Too bad I couldn't stay until you guys were done that afternoon.

Well you inspired me to pull my half built row boat out of the garage. It got a good sanding and cut patterns for the seats. I still need to wait for the weather to warm so that I can finish the epoxy work.

My wife is starting to like the idea of building a plane !!!!! The smile on my face when I got home must have rubbed off on her. She asked me how much the plans and the materials for the first few chapters were. Then hinted that my birthday is approaching. I was up most of the night thinking of how to setup my garage to get started.

What Mike, Dave, and Thane are doing is great for us worriers that need a kick in the butt to get started.

Mike

3000 hours @ 1 hour / week = 58 years. I 'll be done when I turn 85!

Mike T