canopy hinge

dust

ok, the front and back canopy hinge sticking out is not the pretiest, so i am trashing them, using stainless steel that will run from three or so inches back of the current front of the forward hinge and three or so inches forward of the current rear of the rear hinge.

Stainless is 3 times as strong as the aluminum hinge and the sealing will be easier as the hinge will be about 30 inches continious.

enjoy the build

Mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

If I were to build a side-hinged canopy again (not!), I'd give serious consideration to using one, long, continuous hinge. YOu would need to add a few more hardpoints into the canopy. I may still modify my existing canopy to do this.

====================

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/waynehicks/index.html

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

If, instead of piano hinge, you were to put "C" hinges (such as found on forward opening canopies) mightn't you be able to eliminate the hinges sticking out at their ends and also be able to place the front hinge closer to the front of the canopy for better sealing.

But if you do this, you've got 7 points of a forward opening canopy, so why not go the rest of the way and have better sealing, better access to back of panel, safer canopy (won't fly open at awkward moments) and all the rest?

I plan on building a forward opening canopy with a gull-wing hatch aft of the pilot side for access to rear seat. Hatch would have a latch, but the forward lip will be under the forward opening canopy for additional safety.

...Destiny's Plaything...

I've looked at using a C- or D-shaped hinge for the canopy, the kind that alot of builders use for the nose door. Just in my opinion, I could not find a way to engineer one that wouldn't protrude offensively into the co-pilot's personal space. Such a hinge would require a larger radius in order to provide the canopy with enough room to swing upward and outward. Maybe someone with more engineering talent than me can find a better way.

If you want a side opening canopy, it's really hard to be the piano hinges. Like I've said before, given antoher chance (not), I'd go with a full length hinge along the longeron. This would give you an excellent opportunity to trim off some of the forward-most hinge, the part that sticks out too far. I've managed to get my aft hinge located in such a way that it is hidden by the upper cosmetic strake fairing.

If were to build another Cozy IV, I'd give very serious consideration to a forward hinged canopy, a beefy rollover structure, and a side-opening aft canopy. The beefy rollover structure is the part between the forward glass bubble and the first set of aft windows. I'd make that as part of the fuselage structure and it would be permanently glassed into place. It would have a much more substantial roll bar integrated into it. The forward hinged canopy would be just that part covering the pilot and copilot. The aft canopy would be the part covering the back seaters. It would either be gull winged or side-hinged. This particular arrangement is attractive if you'll do alot of 1 or 2 person flying.

Just my 2 cents. I make no bones about it...I have alot of disdain for the side opening canopy. It's one of the most cheesiest parts of the airplane.

Wayne Hicks

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

I agree that the side opening canopy is the feature that I like the least. I would like to consider a front opening canopy as well (I for one will have trouble convincing my wife to climb over the pilot seat to get in!).

Is there anyone on the forum that has used a front opening canopy....their comments would be useful!

Please...............keep good records of the engineering required to do this, and pass them on to me:D , as it will make it soooooooo much easier for me.

As a matter of proof of my Sincerity, .......If you are planning this on Your Cozy, I will come help you install such hinging canopy.:cool:

No plans.....but plenty of ideas.

I went to school with a David Pierce in South Texas.

Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.Net

I am Building a Jo-Z IV StarShip.

What Do YOU Want?

I agree that the side opening canopy is cheezy. Unfortunately its the easiest and quickest way, since it's in the plans, and it's probably the lightest. I've seen Bulent Alieves very nice forward hinged canopy, and Greg Richters. I think that's the way I'd do it if I did it again (not).

Having said that, I managed to hide ALL the hinge back and front. Don't ask me how. Just many iterations of glassing, and adjusting everything except the actual hinge position until they disappeared. There are probably some pictures on my web site somewhere. The disadvantage is that the canopy doesnt open all the way to vertical, but it's enough to slide in comfortably.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

As far as engineering a forward hinged canopy, don't. The forward opening canopy for the Cozy has been done before. The Cozy Classic has it, and plans were available from Uli Wolter at one time.

Check the description in the Wicks Aircraft catalog for the Classic. It describes the canopy, as well as gives contact inormation for Uli.

HTH

Originally posted by marbleturtle

... why not?!?!?! :confused:

Is that in response to my post about not engineering a front hinged canopy?

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you shouldn't try to put one on your own Cozy. I just meant that you should take a look at those plans before starting over from scratch, as I intend to.

• 4 weeks later...

Originally posted by mjgundry

As far as engineering a forward hinged canopy, don't. The forward opening canopy for the Cozy has been done before. The Cozy Classic has it, and plans were available from Uli Wolter at one time.

I received plans for the forward hinged canopy from Uli today. They're very well done, as good as the Cozy plans themselves.

Here's an example: www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/waynehicks/wilson.htm

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Hello Jon!

That front opening canopy sure looks sweet! I have several questions about your plans from Uli... 1. What type of rear seat access is provided? 2. Are the plans specific to a MKIV? 3. Do the plans have any details about required changes to the original MKIV plans? 4. Any additional rollover protection included in Uli's plans? 5. What did these plans cost? Oh Yeah... I had the wonderful experience of dropping the license agreement and check in the mail for my Cozy plans last night! We're finally gettin somewhere!

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

I like the idea of the forward canopy. I have a swing-up-and -back Idea fro the rear "door"..........but I think what Uli has may work just fine.

Brilliant..just brilliant.

macleodm3............Congrats.....on the plans .

Seems like there is a bunch of us Newbies..We may end up taking over the world.

Newness is Greatness....peace & harmony to you man.

What Do YOU Want?

I was gonna call it rear access...but that didn't sound quite right.

Andrew,.......I hope you found you answer, a single hinged "gull Door", opens up to allow access to the backseat.

I am simply just going to have a set of these plans, to adapt this to my cozy.......sshhhh , don't tell dust.

CAN"T BUILD WITHOUT IT> <grin>

enjoy the discovery

Joe

What Do YOU Want?

Joe, Yeah, I saw the pictures w/ the back access door, I was just wondering if thats what the Uli plans included. Also wondering about the hoop, MK IV modifications, price etc. Looks like a great setup.. but of course we won't change the original plans (he he he)

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Here's another canopy example -- per Uli's plans except for an extended canopy and reduced turtleback: www.cozybuilders.org/scaglia/index.html

Answering the questions:

>How can I get a look at these plans? How much?

>2. Are the plans specific to a MKIV?

No, they're straight out of the Cosy Classic plans (chap #18) from Uli Wolter

Ahornstr 10

86510 Ried Germany

tel: (49) 82 33 60594

fax: (49) 82 33 20150

email: flyclassic@aol.com

Carl Denk is a wealth of knowledge on this mod it seems. He provides an improvement to these plans for how the gas strut operates. Contact him directly for that. Regardless, it appears to me that any adjustments to fit a Cozy IV can be self-designed without too much difficulty.

>1. What type of rear seat access is provided?

No gull doors if that's what you're asking, but this may be required if the overall size/weight of the canopy is too much.

>3. Do the plans have any details about required changes to the original MKIV plans?

No. I did hear that Jeff Russell may have MKIV specific plans though.

>4. Any additional rollover protection included in Uli's plans?

Nothing to speak of, but from the picture preceding, but you should be able to add something there if you wanted.

>5. What did these plans cost?

>How can I get a look at these plans? How much?

Cost is "less than $50" -- send an e-mail to Uli.

>I saw the pictures w/ the back access door, I was just wondering if thats what the Uli plans included.

As far as I can tell, the Uli plans do not include the back gull door.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV