New(?) Diesel

GregL

I noticed an Ad for SMA's Jet A fuel engine in one of the flying mags. Not having seen their ads before now I went to their website, www.smaengines.com. They had much more details about their engine. The SR305-230 is a heavy (423-lbs dry, 487-lbs full equipmt). They make the 230 hp claim because it produces 230 at 115% power at takeoff. At 100% power it's 200hp and down to 150hp at 75%. Speed is 160 kts at 6000ft (for a 230hp?). The engine has been certified since last summer, but now undergoing individual plane certification. They have it for a few. Their US office is in Daytona FL. Not that I'm an engine expert, I was surprised by their underwhelming performance numbers. The 160hp Deltahawke does as well if not better and is a 100 lbs lighter. I guess SMA's marketing dept is more efficient, bigger or at least exist. After all they're backed by Renault.

GregL

Cozy IV Plans #1161

Wups! About that airspeed of 160 knots. It converts to 184 mph. Not use to thinking in knots, but it still seems underwhelming for 200 hp at 100% power but I'll concede that. Its still heavy at 487-lbs.

GregL

Cozy IV Plans #1161