Deltahawk flown at 14,500 ft.

mplafleur

The Deltahawk has flown again...

"In a Monday, 26 May flight lasting just over 1 hour, Doug Doers flew the DH160V4 powered test aircraft to 14,500 feet for a second critical altitude test. The altitude alone is impressive at this early stage of the test flight program, but the Really Big News is that the engine continued to deliver its full rated horsepower at 14,500 feet. Other noteworthy accomplishments were 176 knots True Airspeed in level flight at 14,500 feet and total start-up to shut-down fuel consumption of 5 gallons of Jet-A for a flight lasting 1 hour and 5 minutes."

Mike LaFLeur - Cozy MkIV #1155
N68ML
76225.gif

The German company Wilksch Airmotive announced the availability of their WAM-120 for $18,480. The WAM-160 will come out later for $25,200. The design is a oil lubricated water cooled two stroke inline 4 cylinder diesel engine. DeltaHawk's DH160 is expected to cost $20,000. So, you can buy a 120HP German engine for $2000 less but nowhere the performance of the DeltaHawk 160. Yeah production is still 6-7 months away, but at least they're flying. The complaint of the high cost can be said of new Lycomings too. Again, I'm 3-5 years away from a finished Cozy, so I can wait for lower cost options, but I think the cost savings in cheaper fuel, more efficient burning, and expected lower TBO costs make DeltaHawks a viable engine for me. Besides I have time on my side to judge their quality. :)

GregL

Cozy IV Plans #1161

• 1 month later...

Those interested and not at Oshkosk should know that Deltahawke has successfully tested the prototype inverted version of the 160 hp V4 on July 25th. Albeit made from older parts of the upright V4, it's running as well as expected. The inverted engine is the one Nat Puffer has recently commented in the Cozy Newsletter would be best for the Cozy. I imagine it will be flying later this year and in production in 2004. It's expected to cost $23K. See http://www.deltahawkengines.com

GregL

Cozy IV Plans #1161

• 1 month later...

On Sept 1st, Deltahawk announced 180 hp version and priced at $24,000 and $24,500 for the inverted. I suppose that they were asked by many to have a comparable engine to Lycoming's 360 (also 180 hp). Since there is so much interest, testing is likely to start on the now middle range engine. The 200 hp may get delayed as a result, although that's speculation on my part. By the time, I'm ready for an engine in a couple of years or so, they'll have affordable overhauled engines or folks who have traded in for more hp.

I'm also a fan of Honda engines. They may decide to go into production of their aircraft engine (225 hp). Hopefully, they'll have more reasonable pricing.

GregL

Cozy IV Plans #1161

Are there any plans to turbocharge the Delta Hawk? 180 HP for a NA engine would go to over 200 without much boost and could be turbo normalized to 15k' - 18k'. Now THAT would be nice. Horrendous load on the bottom end (as is the case on all diesels) but still simpler than Lycosaurus. Is Delta Hawk 2-stroke or 4-stroke? I've never paid that much attention since Zorsch (or whoever) promised production models for 1990 that never appeared (that was like 13 years ago, and they're still at all the fly ins promising next year).

...Destiny's Plaything...

• 8 months later...

All,

I am one of the new guys. I have been looking forward to opening some sort of dialogue concerning these Deltahawk engines for some time now. I do have some questions only slightly not as dumb as the question that doesn't get asked. Alas, of concern to me.

I have been watching for their 200 hp version. Taking into account the effect of Density Altitude on normally aspirated engines or Fuel injected for that matter, it would seem that having a manifold pressure of 54 inches at 17900+ feet that the DA would would have little effect on engine performance. This would include Take off, climb, and cruise, in terms of power. An honest 200 HP at all altitudes (that we would likely be at), well for fuel economy say 75%. But that is 75% of 200 HP verses 75% of what is available at a given DA (density altitude). What effect would haveing this 75% of 200 HP have on say cruise speed at a given altitude?

Speak your minds. Thank you

Nick Qualls

newly spouse endorsed soon to be builder :D

.....But that is 75% of 200 HP verses 75% of what is available at a given DA (density altitude). What effect would haveing this 75% of 200 HP have on say cruise speed at a given altitude?

Normally aspirated piston engines can develop 75% of their rated HP at DA's up to approximately 8000 ft. This means that at any altitude above 8000 ft., you will have less than 75% power. With a turbocharged engine, you can develop 75% power at higher altitudes, and since drag is less the higher you go (since the air is thinner) you will go faster (up high) with a turbo/supercharged engine than you will with a normally aspirated one.

Also, the 75% power is measured from RATED HP, not from "max. available" at any particular DA. I have a 180 HP O-360 in my plane - 75% is 135 HP, which will be available to me at any altitude below ~8000 ft. - above that, I will have less than 135 HP available, even at full throttle. If you can develop more than 135 HP at altitudes above 8000 ft., you will go faster than I will, given the same airframe.

That help?