Brice Daunay's Viper Mazda engine photos

filipo

3 rotor turbo (itty bitty looking turbo, though :)

Looks like a lot of custom piping for both manifolds

loooks like he has a BOV mounted in the intake. If he has a wastegate, it's hard to see in those pics, with all the insulation.

It would be nice to get a look down below the engine to see how he did his cooling and intercooling. Is Brice in Dallas as well? do you know if he's coming to SWRFI in a few weeks?

Yep, custom manifolds.

No, Brice moved to France in 1999 or 2000. Don't know if he's still there - I've lost contact.

The airplane - "Viper" was purchased by Glen Taylor of Horse Shoe, North Carolina. It's registered as N6227S.

Omar Filipovic
Kitplanes Magazine web editor

• 5 years later...

As information, The plane was cut up into pieces under glenn taylors ownership, on his flight home to North Carolina, he experienced some sort of noise or breakage... he slowed the plane down to a slow speed, landed at his home field, and found part of the plane had delaminated.. he called in some expert help from ezjets i believe, and they found the entire plane in unflightworthyness... the entire plane was delaminating.. it was decided that it was beyond repair, and that it shoudl be destroyed so no one else would ever try to fly it again...

Glenn told me on his flight home, the plane climbed out at 2500 fpm and cruised at 180 kts... with more power on tap...

A few days ago a big truck pulled up to my house and delivered that 20B to its new home in my garage...

That's my desired power plant (sans the turbo).

Perry Wick has been running a rotary for years now.

John Slade proved the reliability after he ingested the blades from his turbo booster and still flew home.

The cost of his repair was very small (as was the down time.)

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Brice used expanding foam from a can (the Home Depot variety) on some parts of the plane. Perhaps that could have been the problem.

His first set of wings had this foam and created enough problems that he scrapped the original wings and built new ones.

Omar Filipovic

That's my desired power plant (sans the turbo).

Perry Wick has been running a rotary for years now.

John Slade proved the reliability after he ingested the blades from his turbo booster and still flew home.

The cost of his repair was very small (as was the down time.)

Ask John how much it is to replace two stock turbos and finally replace it with a new Garret turbo and wastegate to make it reliable. about half the price of a overhauled Lycomimg I would think. not to mention the repair on the engine. costs for these thing are not as small as some want to believe.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Ask John how much it is to replace two stock turbos and finally replace it with a new Garret turbo and wastegate to make it reliable. about half the price of a overhauled Lycomimg I would think. not to mention the repair on the engine. costs for these thing are not as small as some want to believe.

:confused: Why? As I stated, I plan on keeping my installation N/A , Not turbo'd.

The expense I am referring to is what it cost him to get it flying again (sans the turbo).

....... but seeing as you brought it up........ what would it cost to overhaul a IO-540?

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

There is much misinformation circulated and perpetuated about John's engine and turbos.

John's first two turbos were stock, they do not cost much, they are not worth much either and are completely innapropriate for the task.

We sent John to our turbo builder who probably charged him $1200 or so for a brand new Turbonetics Garret design TO4E turbo.

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Also, what kind of plane was it? It looks like it might have been an early velocity...

It was built from Cozy Mk 4 plans, but heavily modified. The wings were per plans except for the installation of the Infinity landing gear and the unfortunate use of the wrong foam. The fuselage was of Brice's own re-design.

Omar Filipovic

:confused: Why? As I stated, I plan on keeping my installation N/A , Not turbo'd.

The expense I am referring to is what it cost him to get it flying again (sans the turbo).

....... but seeing as you brought it up........ what would it cost to overhaul a IO-540?

that would depend on which model it is. the last one we did was $2500 for the core, $6500 for the parts and we assembled it in a day. like any rebuild it is all in knowing where to get the right parts at the best price. now it is good for 2000 hours and nothing about it is experimental. that brings a lot of piece of mind something a rotary will never do.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

You can safely expect about 250 HP in a N/A 20B..... there is a velocity that is flying with a N/A 20B, he has a dyno gragh from this motor hitting 280 hp. I might only have 1 more rotor, but it is much more powerful motor... The Motor is still sitting on a crate... it has just moved... i need to figure out how to move this heavy thing around. I got lucky and got the infinity retracts also .

The engine mount looks well made, but does not attatch at the plans located hardpoints, I am not sure what to think about that yet . I will either need a new engine mount or build new hardpoints into the back.