#41 Edge 513

Edge 513

Cozy540xtra N513DP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Carmel Valley, CA

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:32 PM

New news forwarded from the Canrad mailing list. Deltahawk is ALIVE!!! On their Firewall forward list the have a link to specifically a Firewall backwards assembly with everything included for the CozyIV. Thats in the works! Before ya'll get yer Sunday best on and your once a week shave, be sure a load your pockets with lots of greenbacks. The package costs about 65k. Ouchhhhh. :( I think they are trying to take Theilert's old place in the marketplace. But it is nice they will be willing to sell to Cozy's as well as Velocity's. Theilert wasnt doing that.
Self confessed Wingnut.
Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?
Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

#42 goatherder

goatherder

BAaaaaa!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Marc Oppelt
  • Olympia WA

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:11 AM

65 thousand dollars - for a little engine to shove a little airplane. What are they, 200 hp? Thats dikking refukkulous.

Where is their market at that price? Hell, I wouldn't buy one (even if I could afford it)...and I'm a pretty serious fan of diesel engines.

I am so NOT a fan of overpriced crap...no matter how cool it is. They can keep it. I'd spend 10 or 15 grand for an engine and spend the other 50 on...oh, I don't know...maybe fuel? And also maybe the rent, food, tires, beer,socks, bread, spark plugs, hookers and other miscellaneous expenses people incur on the way thru life.

65 grand. A guy better bring along a box of Kotex if he does any business with those people.
Marc Oppelt
Olympia, WA
http://picasaweb.google.com/oh.u8it2

#43 Jack Morrison

Jack Morrison

Gone West

• Members Gone West
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:48 AM

It was posted in the Oct Sport Aviation magazine at 62,500.00, for 180 hp to altitude 180 and 70% to 300. Don't everyone jump in line at once. Thats expensive. Jack

#44 EricD

EricD

Cozy IV #1588

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Eric Deslauriers
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:53 AM

It is expensive but it's a firewall back package... so you get every thing you need and its all NEW... not USED or an incomplete package... Mayby in a couple of years we can get one cheaper with say 1,000 hours on it or a prop strike or two... :cool2:

#45 Edge 513

Edge 513

Cozy540xtra N513DP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Carmel Valley, CA

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:58 AM

Goat.
Hang onnnn doood! Chill.
I wish I could hand you my meds but I cant.
Before I was informed of the price, I was reading their blurb, thinking. "ohh hey thats cool NO EI...THAT will be cheaper. Ohhh, hey... No FI, SIMPLER...Thats gonna be CHEAPER... No valves, thats gonna be Cheaper, this is sounding pretty cool. Oh they wanna sell the mount and the starter, and the alternator is all in one package.....Better buying power in a package = cheaper. COOL.
So I left the website thinking well, I bet its still going to be priced like an Eggenfelter[sp] subaroo setup even though everything is simpler. Thats at 34K plus the mount...say, 35k. That would be too bad- Cozy builders will have a cow at paying that...so much for the diesel in a Cozy idea.
Then Bob sent me the email. ^%65,000.$$!! And I thought wow, those boys are up in the night. Until they have a certificated engine, [whicj most experimental builders wont pay for anyway] they are smoking some serious crack. But maybe they are not delusional, maybe they really feel it is first a European powerplant solution, or experimental-wise maybe the RV hoards will want them to go with their 95,000. Chelton EFIS' [man thats a crazy vendor as well IMHO]. I dont know. Turbo normalizing sounds great for high cruise, but it doesnt pull you off the ground when you need/want it. I could see them trying to justify that price on a turboed 300hp unit but 180-200hp, but it isnt.
They have some bright people their, so obviously this makes sense to somebody.
Flying in Euro land seems to demand a diesel, maybe they think that that market is also going to be demanded in China. However given the lack of regard for environmentalism in China I dont know.

I am also amused by the 2000 TBO perception of EXP builders who are reluctant to buy a 1000 hour 540 because it will cost a percieved "LOT of money" to overhaul it when it hits the magic #. First, most guys fly less than 100 hours per year and second; I am rebuilding mine for about 8-10 grand. If so, a guy can fly the typical next 10 years on an $15,000 engine, and if at that next 10 year point it makes sense to go to a diesel, you can do it. Oh yea, NOBODY but the manuf can do the rebuild on the DeltaHawk, and its a for sure, NOW, price of 15 grand. Wanna bet it will be more expensive 10 years from now? Another ouchhh, for a four cylinder power plant.:irked: But again 2000 hours at 100-200 hours of flight time=10 to 20 years. They do claim some amazing savings. Just on spark plugs for instance!! Yow.
Self confessed Wingnut.
Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?
Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

#46 Phil Kriley

Phil Kriley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Phil Kriley
  • Renfrew, PA

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:23 PM

I'm really dissappointed in the price. I'd have been willing to pay a premium, but not that much. I'd have been willing to part with half that much. :( $62+k - no way.
Phil Kriley
Cozy #1460
Chapter 13 - nose
Right wing done - working on right winglet.

#47 goatherder

goatherder

BAaaaaa!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Marc Oppelt
  • Olympia WA

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:07 PM

Yeah, its a cool powerplant. I especially like the compressed air start - where you can pump it up by hand if you're out in the boonies. If I remember right there are no electronics or really electrics to make the thing run. But for 65 grand it better be cool and innovative. Hell, for 65 grand it ought to take out the trash, change its own oil and give me a B&0#J*% at 20000ft.

I think there are better alternatives. Mr Spencer has the right idea. 10 years, 500 hrs and "no appreciable wear". And of course there's that 260hp. Oh, and the 200mph cruise at a loafing 2700rpm. Not to mention the 250mph top speed. Oh, yeah...parts availability - I can get anything I need here in town at Cut Rate Auto Parts.
Marc Oppelt
Olympia, WA

#48 goatherder

goatherder

BAaaaaa!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Marc Oppelt
  • Olympia WA

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:10 PM

I'm off to the Bering Sea for a while to drag up some rent money. Good luck, keep on building and don't be doing any crashing.
Marc Oppelt
Olympia, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Stats